What's new

Looking for a place to rent... What to look for? (1 Viewer)

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
Well, I'm going to be moving out from the dorms in the summer. Too expensive, staying in here. We're looking at a place that's $ 320 without anything - electricity, garbage and cable/phone. Seems decent for the money...
What would you say i should look out for generally when looking for a place to rent? I don't know anything about renting stuff and as a student am more likely to be screwed over.
Out with it! :D

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I'd be looking at the neighborhood, crime statistics, and apartment renter's insurance rates.

Don't forget to consider your move-in expenses: deposits will typically be required for utilities, telephone, and first/last month's rent.

Are you legal age? Can you sign a contract/rental agreement?

Will they paint? Put in new carpet? Rekey the locks?

Is it upstairs? Downstairs? Top floor? Are there ceiling fans? Insulation is traditionally poor in apartments. Top floor will have higher air conditioning expense. Lower floor is easier to break into.

Good luck!

- Steve

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
Wow! I was reading the list and mentally ticking off each one of those... Amazing! I think i'll go for it! :D

Steven K

Supporting Actor
I just got a new apartment... $1200 a month. And... I'm practically stealing it for that price. 1350 sq feet!!!

David-S

Second Unit
Washer/Dryer in the apt is AMAZINGLY convenient, and something you might not think about...
Utilities can add up, are they paid for?
What kind of neighbors will you have (do you or don't you want parties next door every weekend?):D

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
TOP FLOOR
TOP FLOOR
TOP FLOOR
did I mention top floor? yah moving is a bitch, but not having neighbors stomping around above you 24/7 is worth it.
oh and I require a south facing balcony, for my DSS dish :)

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
Definitely top floor. Not only do you not have the neighbors stomping, you don't have to worry about their busted or backed-up pipes leaking into your apartment. Major hassle, they stay high and dry and couldn't care less about you and your stuff.

Sarah S

Second Unit
Not only top floor, but if I was moving into an apartment now I would try at all costs to get into a corner apartment. That way you only have 1 neighbor you have to worry about having loud parties when you need to have quiet.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
My mental questions to be answered about a new apartment list:
- what are the neighbours like?
- what's the immediate area like?
- what's the bills like? Are the water bills exceptionally high? What's a realistic 'average' electric bill?
- what's the apartment complex like?
- if it's a private landlord, what's he/she like as a person? Get references if possible. How quickly will he/she have problems resolved?
- what are the neighbours like?
- what's the local ammenities like? How far to the nearest grocery store?
- washer/dryer connections?
- why'd the last tennant move out?
- what are the neighbours like? :)
- how long has it been vacant?
- when was it last painted?
- what's your 'get out of jail' card if it goes wrong?
- what are the neighbours like? :)
Can you tell I've had too many hassles with too many neighbours?
Be wary of 'party' blocks that appear to be fun places for the weekend - when you actually want/need peace & quiet, they'll be total pains. Sweeping generalisation - people attracted to that environment may not have as much respect for your privacy & personal property as you have.
Don't rent somewhere that maxes your monthly budget either.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
unfortunately they can't tell you "how the neighbors are" or "what the crime rate is". For the crime rate they will refer you to the local PD who keeps records on it. I looked for the following things:

24 hour maintenance

W/D in the apartment or at least hookups so I can rent

3rd floor

what kind of cable, can I get road runner at that location

and most important, ask what kind of deals they have running. Don't be afraid to try and barter. The last 2 apartments I've had I've gotten free W/D and free covered parking and money off. My most recent one I had a choice of a free dvd player, palm pilot, tv or bike in addition to freebies and money off. I walked away from one complex that I really liked because they absolutely refused to make me any deals when everyone else in the area were offering all kinds of move in incentives. They wanted me to sign right there and I said I was going to think about it. They had a "sign now and take 200 off", but they said it was only valid for that day. I came right out and told them they would still make me that deal if I came back next week. They said they would not. The next week I asked if the deal was still available they said it was not and they cannot offer it to me. So I said ok, bye and went to a similar complex just down the street.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
unfortunately they can't tell you "how the neighbors are" or "what the crime rate is". For the crime rate they will refer you to the local PD who keeps records on it.
For the crime rate, you simply go online check the rating of the area. It's worth dropping into the local police station & asking about the apartment complex if you're especially worried.

For the neighbours, you ask! Ask if there's been any problems with the immediate area. In Scotland, the law is if you ask about the neighbours & any issues with them in the past, if the landlord fails to disclose any problems, when a problem develops with them, you can break the lease without any recourse.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks