What's new

Looking for a new TV- HD or not? (1 Viewer)

Mr. Brian

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
I'm helping my father in law pick out a new TV for his home theater setup. I'm wondering wether I should recommend an HD-ready TV or not, because of the new DVI standard. We're looking for something around 32", maybe bigger. Are progressive scan DVD players necessary for sets that are not HD capable but have 16:9 enhanced mode, or is progressive scan just for HD ready TV's? I'm thinking specifically of the Sony KV-32FV27. How does that set compare to the KV-32HS20 or the KV-32XBR450? Any other ideas for sets? I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Brian

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Yep, Samsung TSl3294hf 32" HDTV. MIne is coming tomorrow and I paid roughly the same as a Wega KV32fs13.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Brian, a prog-scan player will be of no benefit with an FV-series WEGA, as the set does not scan at high enough a frequency to offer a progressive image. Despite its being an interlaced set, you can purchase a lower-priced progressive-scan DVD player and use its interlaced output. Why? For future compatibility when your dad does get a 480p-capable television.

You will, however, be very pleased with the FV's performance in 16:9 mode, however. It's as smooth an image as you'll see just short of a "digital" set.

george king

Supporting Actor
IMHO if you are going to spend more than about $800 for a TV, you may as well spend the extra money for a HDTV ready monitor. The samsung and hitachi 32" sets can generally be had for around $1100. I recently got the 36" hitachi for $1200. The improvement in picture, especially DVD is amazing, and I am using an interlaced player and regular Satelite.

ChristopherS

Second Unit
I could be completely wrong on this but why would anyone buy a HDTV now unless it was DVI/HDCP compatible? Are you not potentially wasting alot of money?

I am someone who bought in to HDTV two years ago so I hope a work-around can be found but I am advising friends to hold off until at least this fall when Sony releases its new DVI/HDCP sets.

Chris

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I'm seriously hoping this entire DVI/HDCP controversy is nipped at the bud. I honestly don't know what to think at this stage. There seems to have been a roadblock at every turn in the transition to the ATSC standard. Truly bewildering.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I've expressed my feelings on the DVI/HDCP issue very strongly, but I will add that even without HDTV, the reolution capabilities of my front projector are being nicely utilized by the scaling capabilities of my HTPC. All HDTV ready sets can do 540p at a minimum, and I watch DVDs at a scaled resolution of 1280 x 960p. Progressive is a big advance over interlaced.

george king

Supporting Actor
Well, the whole DVI issue could be disatrous, but I do not think so. First, there are too many sets already out there that would be effectively disabled. That is a large number of people to piss off, especially since they are largely the early adopters that make or break a new technology (and tend to spend lots of money on "new things"). So if these people (me included) get screwed, they will be gun shy in the future.

Second, prices are dropping fast, and like I said earlier, I got a 36" HDTV ready monitor for $1200 (two years ago that set would have been closer to $3k). So if I get a couple of good years out of it (and it will probably take that long for the whole mess to settle), I am not out of a lot of money.

Lastly, I cannot fathom that this (down-rezing) would be applied to OTA broadcasts, which are over public airwaves. This would simply fly in the face of established precedent. Although I rarely watch OTA, a lot of people do, and they wouldn't necessarily be affected. On the other hand if you only have cable or sat, you might get the shaft, but again, probably not for a few year.

Just my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks