What's new

Looking for a book, fiction, called "Spore"(?). Not sure, and can't remember author. (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
When I was in Highschool, which was from roughly 1983 to 1988, I started reading a book, I think the title was "Spore" or something like that. It had the word Spore in the title and I could have sworn that the title was simply just that, the word Spore. Anyways, the story was about a meteor which crashed onto the earth and as you can imagine, there was a spore on there and it gets out and bad things happen, etc etc. I never did read the whole book, and I'm sure if I re-read it I won't thinks its spectacular reading, but its just something I want to find. I have looked for the book by searching Google, Amazon, Chapters etc, but I haven't found it yet. Just wondering if anyone out there recalls a paperback fiction novel like the one I decribed above, or where I can go to find it. I don't recall the author or publisher or anything else. Its been, uh-hum, at least 16 or 17 years since I saw the book. Are there forum's on the net which help you find books?

The closest I've come is I've found that books with the titles:
Spore 7, Doomsday Spore and Death Spore exist, but I never see a pic or image of the cover, nor do I find any descriptions of the novel.

thanx in advance for any idea's,

:)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
So far, no, I don't think its him. I also don't think its Dreamcatcher by Stephen King, however, now I'm interested in that book. Heheh. I think the book, Spore, or whatever, wasn't wildy succesfull, so thats why it isn't easy to find. I just have to find it because its like a unfinished sort of thing in my life that bugs me when I remember it. I've looked for the book before and never found it then, either. I stumbled the other book I read partially in Highschool that I want to read again, but it was readily accessible so I picked it up and saw the authoer was Frank Herbert, ala DUNE. The book was Dosadi. I'm going out right now to the library to borrow it. If I like it, I may buy it from chapters, since its fairly cheap. While at the library, I'll ask about the Spore book. Already searched my library online and found nothing.

So far I've figured out its NOT Doomsday Spore and its NOT Deathspore. It could be Spore 7, but I'm not sure. Going to research more.

thanx for the help,

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
I remember queries like this all the time when I worked in a bookstore a few years back. :D At least you have more detail that most of the people who came to me looking for long lost beloved books. Most of them could only give me a description of the book: "Blue with red lettering, but I can't remember the title, author, or subject. It looked cool, though!"

However, most people did not have as great an access to the web as they do nowadays, so I could not say, "Hey, did you try [fill in the blank].com?"

Have you tried alibris.com? I did for a book that I loved as a kid, and actually found it.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Haven't tried that. I swear the book was just called spore, but I'll keep looking. It could be Spore 7, but I can't find it around. I searched Chapters.ca and they don't have it. I saw it on the net somewhere else. The worst thing about online book stores or online websites for store is that they have listings for books but NO information about the book, story or anything.

thanx for the help folks,

I'll keep looking.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Obviously, the Crichton book would be "Sphere," but that doesn't really sound like the plot you describe.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Like the movie Sphere? Obviously? I'm almost certain the title of the book has the word "Spore" in it. I'll look into the book "Sphere". I started reading the book some time between 1984 and 1989.

Anyone know a science fiction book site or science fiction book forum?

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Definitely would not be Sphere. Sphere has a completely different (and extremely cool) story line than what's described.

EDIT: Anyone notice the similarity to Smallville?

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
This sounds an awful lot like the original story for "Evolution," the Bob Zemekes film with David Duchovny.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Stumbled onto that too. You never know though. I wonder what that movie is based on, perhaps a book?

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I looked around and couldn't find the original article, circa 1999/2000, but Evolution was supposed to be a serious hard core sci-fi thriller about a meteor that crashes in the desert, and the things that happen as the micro-organisms inside evolve, creating their own ecosystem. This is very similiar to what ended up being in the movie, except Ivan Reitman (not Bob) rewrote it as a comedy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks