What's new

Long Term Strategies for the Serious Collector and Film Buff... (1 Viewer)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The one thing that prevents me from worrying is my CD collection -- it is around 850 (??) and I have been at it since 1985. I find I have slowed to very, very few CDs --

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
I guess it becomes ever so easy to start to rationalize everything... I bought every Criterion, of course, as a collector... not a thinking film buff, BUT I was also looking at another angle; I paid $250+ on EBay for Criterion Salo, a few months back... it is oop and the jewel of DVDs ( not the film ) for the collector of "rare" DVDs. It sold recently on EBay for almost $700... try to tell me another investment that was accrued so superlatively in such a short time? ( Of course that again is rationalizing )... I bought a lot because I watch alot.. I mean ALOT... sometimes 12 films over a weekend... and then write full reviews on 3 or 4 of them. (more rationalization )
BTW, I love these people who project their own views onto others... "I have two hundred... and anybody who has more is buying indiscriminately."... come on, film fans are at all different levels and I think we ALL here are collectors to some degree or another... no ? If it was more economically feasible I'm guessing that many of you would have close to 1000 DVDs...
Ted, before I forget, Tampopo is also one on my favorite repeat films... in fact I watch it while eating noodles in soup !

JohnN

Agent
Gary,
Back to your original post... :)
I find it hard to continue to pour my money into DVDs without a long term strategy... I was wondering if any of you have one.
:) :)
What has changed? You obviously felt satisfied for quite some time to get to where you are now. :angry:
My collection has grown over the last 3 years from zero to just over 500 discs. I did not expect to collect so many so fast but now reflect that it could easily grow to 700+.
I do have sort of a strategy, but one that comes from someone loving movies and film but unable and unwilling(at this time) to devout serious time to the selection process. This will come later.
Instead, already existing lists and rating material have been my primary guide.
Like you, collecting Criterions is part of the plan(I am up to 110). In addition I add the AFI100(as they come out on dvd). I also add the "100 Greatest Films" list and "100 Greatest Films Another 100". Finally, added to this mix is all the top rated VideoHound rated films(4 bone rating).
Of course impulse buying of unexpected foreign releases keeps things interesting. :D
Personally, I do not see why you feel the need to change anything about your approach, given the obvious satisfaction it has provided. :)

RobR

Second Unit
Another long-term strategy to keep in mind is the possibility that you would be selling off all or most of your DVDs once HD-DVDs become widely available (remember laserdiscs?).

As for myself, the only DVDs I collect are favorite movies, those I would watch repeatedly (e.g. Se7en), films of my favorite director (Stanley Kubrick), and selected box sets (e.g. The Godfather Collection). I use Netflix to fulfill my other needs. I'm purposely keeping my collection small given the everchanging formats and technologies. Who knows what might come in the future?

BillM

Auditioning
I learned to be selective as an ex laserdisc collector.
I LIKED IT!
Do I really LIKE the movie.
MULTIPLE VIEWINGS
Is it a title I will watch more than once or may want to watch with friends or family.
NOSTALGIA
Some movies you might consider mediocre, but they have a nostalgic value. I buy to remind me of younger days and the enjoyment of seeing the movie for the first time.
RARE TITLES
I like to buy obscure movies and documentaries. These are not easily accessible for rent and they are limited release. These many times are collectables. I also happen to have a preference for older movies so patience is important.
EXTRAS
I prefer extras of historical interest, so a disk that goes beyond the generic E! TV making of promos, I strongly consider buying even though it may not be one of my favorite movies.
WIDESCREEN ONLY (now 16x9).
MONEY
I look for sales. Limit yourself to 5-10 titles per month. Box sets cut down on number. I try to stay under $200 a month.
Never buy a first Generation Disk.
I’d be interested in some criteria that others may use?
Good Buying,
WM
My DVD collection is my “wine” collection.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
JohnN,
My reason is again, just fooling myself... rationalizing. If I attempt to adhere to a strategy I can at continue to spend large amounts on my collection knowing I have a long term goal in mind, not just throwing money away willy-nilly...
John, I also used to follow your film picking strategy to a certain degree: CLICK HERE This is a contest we were running to guage which members had which films in the corresponding BP,BFI,AFI,Ebert's Great Films List, Palme D'or, etc. etc.
Cheers,

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I always wondered why so many people on this forum seem to buy anything that comes out!

My strategy is 3-fold:

1. I buy the classics that I must own: Lawrence of Arabia, Citizen Kane, Chinatown, obviously all the Kubrick films, etc

2. The really awesome 5.1 flicks like Phantom Menace or U-571 and/or exceptional packaged SE's.

3. Kids flicks.

I just can't see buying run of the mill fare. Its a waste.

DanQ

Auditioning
So we can't use Netflix in Canada, but has anyone used Hollyweb (hollywebdvd.com), which apparently does deliver to both Canada and USA (I think they're based in Alberta)?
Any comments on their selection, service, reliability etc.?
I live close to Gary and have to agree with some of his statements (no Netflix, Blockbuster carries only the 'blockbuster' mainstream films, expensive first-run cinemas)

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
You ? said:
Run in the mill, eh ?... hmmm... to who? You ?
I think you are getting my point Patrick. Not eveyone thinks that Stanley Kubrick is the beacon of cinematic expression. I am glad for you, that you do.
I buy almost every Film/Art film that comes out on DVD. ( Most Fellini, every Antonioni, every Tarkovsky, every Kurosawa, every Dryer etc. )This is a personal preference, which I wouldn't expect you to understand or adhere to. For me it represents growth as a film buff. I have seen every Kubrick film, many of them repeat times. I am moving on.
I also try to purchase influential films in the history of cinema... this can represent a number of silent films or very early films.
I buy a lot of foreign films to give me a representation of cultures that I am ignorant of. This is an educational process. I also buy a number of documentary films on DVD for the same reason.
Just because someone owns a lot of films on DVD does NOT mean that he/she is buying run-in-the-mill... there is whole big world out there...
Regards,

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Gary -- You have an admirable collection. I wasn't referring to you in my comments. I meant the person that is buying stuff like "Legally Blonde" or "Freddie got Fingered" or "Charlies Angels" or [insert big money corporate crapola or Michael Bay film here].
For example, there was a frenzy here about buying Pearl Harbor by people that never saw it. Its been widely criticized as being a HORRIBLE movie yet people still flock to put out $50+ to buy the giant SE. Insanity!
Some people might really enjoy these films - if they do, they should by all means buy them. But I feel most people here buy stuff just because its new, they watch it once and just paid for a $20 viewing of a film they didn't enjoy.
Believe me, I if I had the money, I'd buy a lot more films like you! But I don't ...
P.S. No need to belittle the films of Kubrick...

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
You can count me Patrick as one who bought Legally Blonde... :)
For my wife and I to attend the cinema once to have seen it when it was current, it would be $25.00 ( $12.50 X 2 ) CAN. A drink or dinner before, popcorn drink at the theatre ( add $another $20-60 ), wait in line like cattle... people make noise all around you... can't pause to go to the washroom. BUT when I am finished with viewing Legally Blonde DVD ( once, twice or multiple times in the comfort of my own home ), I can give it to my niece as a birthday present... Viola !!... or sell it on EBay for $10.00 US...
To see a cute little film that I wanted to see ( Hey I like Reese Witherspoon )... cost me $12.00 CAN... or $22.00 and I got a free present for my niece out of it...
Cheers,

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Gary -- And you WANTED to see it (so do I because, I too, like Ms. Witherspoon) but I'll either rent it or wait for it on HBO. But hell, if I had the money to blow, maybe I would buy it knowing I was going to sell it or give it away.

But alas, I don't.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Hey Patrick,
Looks like you added this :)
P.S. No need to belittle the films of Kubrick...
I would never do that... but there is more to heaven and earth than dreamt of in your philosophy, Horatio ( or something to that effect )
If you don't think I have great respect for Kubrick, read my review of The Shining:
CLICK HERE
Cheers,

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Question: does HBO show stuff in OAR now ? I'm in Canada and have TMN ( the Movie Network ), which occasionally does...

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
"My name is Gary"

"HI GARY"

"... and I haven't bought a DVD for 4 days now"...

Yeah, we could give out chips indicating the length of time one has abstained...

Darren H

Second Unit
I just want to interrupt this thread momentarily to welcome Patrick to the HTF. I knew that your name sounded familiar when I first read it here. Patrick, I've been a big fan of your Kubrick site for years, and also recognize you from my old days at alt.movies.kubrick, still the only decent usenet film discussion I've found. In fact, when I first joined the HTF, I used "Peace is Our Profession" as my sig -- ripped off the idea from Ichorwhip (?). Is AMK still a place for thoughtful discussion? I read it religiously in '95-'96.
Oh yeah, and don't take Gary too seriously. He isn't nearly so belligerent as he sometimes sounds in his posts. ;) So Gary, have you weeded the collection down to 500 yet? Just let me know, and I'll send you my mailing address. I've even started my wish list . . .
- Chungking Express
- La Collectionneuse
- The Eel
- Humanite
- A Woman is a Woman (since Godard is all style over substance anyway)
;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
And, Al, I'm pretty sure my collection is growing much more slowly than any other at DVDBeaver. In fact, it might be smaller now than when I joined.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Chungking Express
- La Collectionneuse
- The Eel
- Humanite
- A Woman is a Woman (since Godard is all style over substance anyway)
All great choices Darren.. except the last one... "the Emperor wears no clothes"... I said it, Brook didn't ! But Pascal makes a good point, he is important for growth as a film buff...

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Thanks for the comments on my site. Its getting kind of stale recently...but I'll have to knock the dust out one of these days.

Haven't been to alt.movies.kubrick for a while. Last time I was there, it seemed to still be worth the visit.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Geez, what happened to all the elitist bastards who used to hang out here? Now that any J6P can get a DVD player at Wal-Mart and an home theater in a box, and get all those bucketloads of extras that used to cost $100+ per movie, the easiest way to distinguish ourselves is by quantity married to quality.
Who needs Blockbuster when you've got 2000 or so DVDs to choose from? It's nice to own 75% of the AFI top 100, and all the Criterions, and all the movies I might want to ever see again. I can't tell you how many times I'll see mention of a movie or an actor or director and think, hey, I should see that (or see that again). Frankly, renting isn't an option for me because if I like a movie well enough to rent it, I probably will end up buying it, thus pissing away the rental money. This probably stems from a frustrated childhood of reading Famous Monsters and movie books but never being able to see the movies discussed unless they happened by some fortuitous circumstance to be run at midnight on tv. Now, I can own them and see them whenever I want. And it feels great! :D
Yeah, I could have put that money into a Corvette or something that people think is normal, but big deal. I'm not interested in that, I'm interested in movies (besides, I'm too tall to fit into a Corvette). So I buy movies. What's the harm in that?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks