What's new

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Jim, yeah that remote might be close to 15 years old.
only replaced the button battery twice maybe three times.

Still working things out with the new 665 and finding it’s idiosyncratic behaviors.

Works well enough with the Apple TV while some of the apps on the Atv don’t allow for ff or rw. Like the Mlb app.

Doesn’t control a fire Stick

Works with the comcast X1 box but only if I move within 7 or so feet to it.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
You're losing one of the best features of the Elite by not using the hub to send IR signals. The best way to use it is to set up the hub across the room, aimed at the equipment. Then you don't have to aim the remote, ever. I don't use the remote blasters. Just the hub aimed at the equipment. In fact, after I rearrange my HT, I'll have the hub on top of one of the rear surround speakers.
Not really needed in my room. The gear is right in front of us, so aiming of the remote is a total non-issue. I also want to minimize my reliance on the Hub. I don't think the option exists to use the IR in the remote along with the Hub. If the Hub goes Toes Up, I lose all control.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I bought a 665 from BB for the same reason. I like buttons myself, although maybe not as much as Tony does... ;)
The Companion is a Hub that comes with a physical remote with buttons. It's terrific. I can control devices with IR, wi-fi and Bluetooth.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
665 is an IR remote. If the Apple TV box runs exclusively on Bluetooth or RF it wont pick anything up. Its the same problem with my Shield Pro.
The 650 is also an IR remote. Basically, the 665 is a newer version of the 650. The Apple TV 4K and Comcast X1 should work fine with both models.

@TonyD, I will not be able to setup the 665 I ordered for a few weeks. Hopefully, you get everything working before then, but if not I can help you troubleshoot.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not really needed in my room. The gear is right in front of us, so aiming of the remote is a total non-issue. I also want to minimize my reliance on the Hub. I don't think the option exists to use the IR in the remote along with the Hub. If the Hub goes Toes Up, I lose all control.
Well, then the Elite is a complete waste of money opposed to the 950, which is usually $100 less, give or take.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Well, then the Elite is a complete waste of money opposed to the 950, which is usually $100 less, give or take.
It is indeed, and if I could have found and bought another new 950 to back up the one I have, that is what I would have done.

One small bit of functionality that I can use is that the hub can control my FireStick which the 950 can not. It is not $350 worth of added functionality, but I do appreciate that I can now set the Fire Stick remote aside. When I went into this, I thought the Elite came with an identical 950, but apparently that remote that comes with the elite is not really a 950.

Damn you to hell Harmony for killing the best products that you make. :)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It is indeed, and if I could have found and bought another new 950 to back up the one I have, that is what I would have done.

One small bit of functionality that I can use is that the hub can control my FireStick which the 950 can not. It is not $350 worth of added functionality, but I do appreciate that I can now set the Fire Stick remote aside. When I went into this, I thought the Elite came with an identical 950, but apparently that remote that comes with the elite is not really a 950.

Damn you to hell Harmony for killing the best products that you make. :)
The remote units themselves are identical with the 950 and Elite. There is a minor difference in the labeling of a couple buttons, but the functions of the remote units themselves are identical. Any difference in function is due to the hub, and that's where you get your Fire Stick functionality. Honestly, the hub is probably the nicest feature of the Elite, but you can take advantage of it or not.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
The remote units themselves are identical with the 950 and Elite. There is a minor difference in the labeling of a couple buttons, but the functions of the remote units themselves are identical. Any difference in function is due to the hub, and that's where you get your Fire Stick functionality. Honestly, the hub is probably the nicest feature of the Elite, but you can take advantage of it or not.
Good info. I assumed incorrectly that the remotes were physically different or perhaps ran different firmware based on how the hub and remote communicate and sync back and forth.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I noticed the pricing on the Elite remotes have increased which I expected due to supply and demand for a product leaving the market place. I never pulled the trigger on buying a spare remote as I think the more prudent thing is to just stick with the three Elites I have now and if one goes bad then deal with it then.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The config app for the One is not supported for the last two (?) macOS versions. Tested and confirmed personally.

I’ve found the mobile app to work nearly identically and as well as the older desktop app.
Is the mobile expected to be kept current? If not, it’ll go obsolete just like the desktop app.

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
Is the mobile expected to be kept current? If not, it’ll go obsolete just like the desktop app.
Given that Mac support was dropped because Logi couldn’t be bothered to port existing software from 32 to 64 bit, I wouldn’t hold your breath on devoted support going forward.

I have a 665 and have a Mojave boot drive for the sole purpose of programming my remote.

cinefan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
Isn't the 665 practically identical to the 650, except the 665 can handle a couple more devices?

I guess your friend just happened to get a rare lemon for his 665 to replace the 650.

My only issue w/ getting a 665 instead is I probably can't reuse the existing programming of my 650 and have to redo it from scratch. As relatively simple as the programming is, it'd still be a bit of pain to have to redo from scratch for my setup...

_Man_
As I posted a few days ago, I ordered the 665 as an emergency backup for my still-functioning 650. I intended to stick the 665 in a drawer until I need it, but did want to test it out so I did power it up and used the Windows Harmony software to add/configure it. I was pleased to discover that I did not have to program the 665 from scratch -- the software let me copy all of my setup/activities from the 650 without any hassle. I spent about 10 minutes playing with the 665 to confirm it worked and it seemed to work identically to my 650. Now the 665 is in a drawer waiting for me to drop the 650 on my tile coffee table and bust it. :)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I just happened to be reading an article on WIRED today and noticed the announcement in a sidebar. I love my Harmony One but it's getting pretty beaten up and I've been debating getting a newer remote for the last couple years - and as recently as last night. With a FLIRC adapter the thing can even control my Home Theater PC!

This is very disappointing to hear. I ran out to pick up a Elite this afternoon while I still could. I just hate the idea that if we expand to other rooms (like finishing the basement and set up a media room down there), I won't be able to get a Harmony for it. I'm definitely going to write the company to express my disappointment at this decision.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Logitech committed to keeping the service working for the immediate future. I think they’ll eventually stop updating the app, and it will break when an iOS update breaks it in a year or two?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Apropos only of remotes, I finally learned how to get the AppleTV “Home” command to work on my URC MX-780. So good to know that if my Harmony kicks off, I can still get along with a URC line.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks