What's new

Britton

Screenwriter
Great timing - I was just about to post something asking if anyone has replaced their Harmony battery and what their experience was.

It seems after I posted my "things are great; just charge every night" thoughts, my remote decided to not want to hold a charge at all. Pull it off the charger at 100% and maybe an hour later, it's dead. Drop it on the charger - it says charging and a few minutes later, it's back to 100%. Rinse and repeat. It reminds me of one of my old iPhones where the battery "died" at 70%.

Speaking of iPhones, I've successfully replaced an iPhone batter, and an iPod battery, so I can't imagine that this would be too much more complicated.

Glad to help! There are some soldered contacts to be aware of, but at no point did I think I was about to snap them.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I didn’t find a dedicate thread for Sofabaton remotes, so here’s a positive, recent review on the newer remotes as possible Harmony replacement. (Caveat, it’s Cnet and they’re cashing out on a 20 year old reputation it seems.)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I didn’t find a dedicate thread for Sofabaton remotes, so here’s a positive, recent review on the newer remotes as possible Harmony replacement. (Caveat, it’s Cnet and they’re cashing out on a 20 year old reputation it seems.)
The article isn't really accurate -- this statement is incorrect: "The remote can handle up to 15 devices at a time, while the competitive Harmony 650 can offer only five. ". I have more than 5 devices programmed with my Harmony 650. I stopped reading the article at that point.

I tried a Sofabaton U2, but thought it was a little cumbersome to use. It certainly didn't replace the activities function of the Harmony remotes for more complex HT setups, and I found that the $9 RCA universal remotes I bought at Wal-Mart worked just as well for my simpler setups, and those RCA's have larger, easier to find buttons.

sinisanav

Agent
Real Name
Sinisa Vujkovic
I am kind of thinking / itching to consider Sofabaton X1 ,for me home theater. I can do simpler things with Apple TV remote but if I use Oppo then need to switch between Oppo and Anthem app… taht woudl bee too much for my kids or wife.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The article isn't really accurate -- this statement is incorrect: "The remote can handle up to 15 devices at a time, while the competitive Harmony 650 can offer only five. ". I have more than 5 devices programmed with my Harmony 650. I stopped reading the article at that point.

Yeah, sounds almost like some kinda shill for this new remote brand or something. He's also clearly misleading/wrong implying you'd need to spend over $100 for a secondhand Harmony 665, which expands on the 650 by just a little bit (and is also in black/dark-gray, which may or may not be desirable in a dark room, LOL). Sure, there are sellers asking that much, but there has also always been a fair number of sellers asking for <=$60 (inclusive of shipping) on eBay at least, which is why I haven't rushed to buy another for backup -- my own was bought used for ~$50 or so 2-1/2 years ago.

That's basically the same price for a used 665 as for that Sofabaton U2.

_Man_

3dbinCanada

Second Unit
Real Name
Ted
Yeah, sounds almost like some kinda shill for this new remote brand or something. He's also clearly misleading/wrong implying you'd need to spend over $100 for a secondhand Harmony 665, which expands on the 650 by just a little bit (and is also in black/dark-gray, which may or may not be desirable in a dark room, LOL). Sure, there are sellers asking that much, but there has also always been a fair number of sellers asking for <=$60 (inclusive of shipping) on eBay at least, which is why I haven't rushed to buy another for backup -- my own was bought used for ~$50 or so 2-1/2 years ago.

That's basically the same price for a used 665 as for that Sofabaton U2.

_Man_
With much less functionality I would add.

sinisanav

Agent
Real Name
Sinisa Vujkovic
Thankful for second hand market, I was able to score a 115$ Harmony Ultimate with hub, works perfectly with all my equipment hidden under staircase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks