What's new

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
For a cheap universal remote, there is also the Sofabaton U1. Usually $40 - $50 on Amazon. Will control multiple devices. Programable over device app. Does bluetooth also. Have one for outside system with TV, soundbar, and firestick and it controls all of them. Could probably have used firestick remote for that, but they didn't support weird cheapo soundbar.

They have a more expensive unit similar to the harmony hub type, but don't have any experience with that.

Dennis,

Just looked at that remote as I had never heard of it before.

You know what? It's rudimentary in design, but it's probably all that most people would need, and at a price point of $50, it's an enticing purchase option.

I think another problem with the Logitech remotes was the price, though they did make a wide range of affordable to expensive units.

Another thing that occurred to me is that people use their phones as remotes. When I am at my girlfriend's home we use the phone to control her Roku. I am wondering how much phone software has hurt the all-in-one remote business.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I suppose people are fine with having 3-4 different remotes scattered across their coffee tables.
It’s turned out that, in my home, the ATV 4K remotes can also control the power on/off and volume on the TVs in the bedrooms and living room. We stream everything and don’t have cable, satellite, or OTA antenna so that is the only remote needed in any of those rooms.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
For a cheap universal remote, there is also the Sofabaton U1. Usually $40 - $50 on Amazon. Will control multiple devices. Programable over device app. Does bluetooth also. Have one for outside system with TV, soundbar, and firestick and it controls all of them. Could probably have used firestick remote for that, but they didn't support weird cheapo soundbar.

They have a more expensive unit similar to the harmony hub type, but don't have any experience with that.

I bought one of these for our SC condo, but didn't care for it. I found it cumbersome to setup and use. The $8 RCA remote I provided a link for above worked better for our setup.

3dbinCanada

Second Unit
Real Name
Ted
I have a couple 700 series and love them. Have a spare put away for when one can't be fixed. I use them on both systems with different equipment and have the exact same button layout for everything for the WAF. Love the physical buttons and the easy layout.
Had a non working button issue and there is a repair kit that made it good as new.

I got my repair kits from EBay.. and I agree. Its like having a new remote again.

Jason Goodmanson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I have the Harmony Touch (controls TV, AV receiver, bluray player, and AppleTV).

Looked it up - bought it in early February of 2013 (can't believe I spent $200.97 on this - seems so extravagant!) so it's almost ten years old at this point. And I've had zero issues except that I do need to make sure it gets onto the charger every night because the batter will eventually die the next morning.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Another thing that occurred to me is that people use their phones as remotes. When I am at my girlfriend's home we use the phone to control her Roku. I am wondering how much phone software has hurt the all-in-one remote business.
My family is either streaming or using Plex, both of which can be 95% controlled with a Roku remote. I'm the only one who ever wants to muck with the receiver, and for that it's easier to use Yamaha's MusicCast app on my phone. For my stereo music setup I only use MusicCast from my phone.

As to the thread's question, I tossed my Logitech into a bin about 7 years ago and haven't missed it at all.

3dbinCanada

Second Unit
Real Name
Ted
Yesterday, I decided to "fix up" two Logitech Harmony 650 remotes,
IHO, they are one of the best remotes to work with, easy to program with a straight forward interface and are kept up to date with the latest equipment even though Logitech stop producing them. The issue with them is that the buttons wear out so I bought a kit to fix this issue.

The remotes come apart which are held together by 6 screws.
IMG_8517.jpg
IMG_8516.jpg

Remove the 3 screws holding the circuit card down.. Take Isopropyl alcohol and clean all the circular and rectangular button contacts on the right side of the pic.

IMG_8519.jpg

peel the brown backing off the pressure pads (bottom left of right pic) and placing it on the contacts carefully aligning it with the button contacts.

IMG_8521.jpg
IMG_8518.jpg

I'm surprised how dirty these contacts get even though they are relatively sealed.

IMG_8520.jpg

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yesterday, I decided to "fix up" two Logitech Harmony 650 remotes,
IHO, they are one of the best remotes to work with, easy to program with a straight forward interface and are kept up to date with the latest equipment even though Logitech stop producing them. The issue with them is that the buttons wear out so I bought a kit to fix this issue.

The remotes come apart which are held together by 6 screws.
View attachment 179114 View attachment 179113

Remove the 3 screws holding the circuit card down.. Take Isopropyl alcohol and clean all the circular and rectangular button contacts on the right side of the pic.

View attachment 179116

peel the brown backing off the pressure pads (bottom left of right pic) and placing it on the contacts carefully aligning it with the button contacts.

View attachment 179118 View attachment 179115

I'm surprised how dirty these contacts get even though they are relatively sealed.

View attachment 179117
Where did you find the kit?

Britton

Screenwriter
I have the Harmony Touch (controls TV, AV receiver, bluray player, and AppleTV).

Looked it up - bought it in early February of 2013 (can't believe I spent $200.97 on this - seems so extravagant!) so it's almost ten years old at this point. And I've had zero issues except that I do need to make sure it gets onto the charger every night because the batter will eventually die the next morning.

I was able to replace my battery. It was not difficult to do.
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Logitech+Harmony+Touch+Battery+Replacement/100209
I did order the kit from ifixit (prying tools).

I ordered this battery:

Jason Goodmanson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I was able to replace my battery. It was not difficult to do.
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Logitech+Harmony+Touch+Battery+Replacement/100209
I did order the kit from ifixit (prying tools).
Great timing - I was just about to post something asking if anyone has replaced their Harmony battery and what their experience was.

It seems after I posted my "things are great; just charge every night" thoughts, my remote decided to not want to hold a charge at all. Pull it off the charger at 100% and maybe an hour later, it's dead. Drop it on the charger - it says charging and a few minutes later, it's back to 100%. Rinse and repeat. It reminds me of one of my old iPhones where the battery "died" at 70%.

Speaking of iPhones, I've successfully replaced an iPhone batter, and an iPod battery, so I can't imagine that this would be too much more complicated.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am going to be keeping an eye on this thread. After all, there is going to come a time when every single one of us is going to need to replace the battery and I have no idea how that is accomplished.

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
I am going to be keeping an eye on this thread. After all, there is going to come a time when every single one of us is going to need to replace the battery and I have no idea how that is accomplished.
I’m glad that the 700 + an IR repeater is good enough for my setup, and all I need to worry about is keeping AA batteries in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks