What's new

Living without the internet (1 Viewer)

Leif Wall

Second Unit
I'm going to be moving on friday/saturday. I'll be living by myself and since I don't have a computer, I'll be net-less. I have a friend in the area that I can go over to and use his computer when I need, but not having one at my disposal everyday.... arghhhh, I don't even want to think about it.

I'm so used to checking the dvd news everyday, going to forums (like this one), looking up information, etc... Man, this is going to be brutal.

Jason_H

Second Unit
I don't want to say I'm "addicted" to the net (since I'm not), but I feel your pain. I like to keep current with things as well, and owning a software company, the internet is just part of my life. The first few days away are the worst because you just know you have some great email waiting or are missing a hot deal on something...or if you are looking to kill time and you can't crawl the forums like usual. You get used to it, and then you are overwhelmed when you finally get back online. Of course, the longest I would probably go with being away from any kind of internet access would be for a weeklong vacation or something.

Isaac K

Stunt Coordinator
Why not buy a computer? Shouldn't take too long to save up the few hundred dollars.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, Wal-Mart is selling packages now that are a lot more powerful than my current home computer and about 1/3 of the price I paid.

Also, don't forget public libraries and internet cafes (if they have such a thing where you're moving to). :emoji_thumbsup:

Leif Wall

Second Unit
I'm planning to buy a PC asap. I'm just gonna be broke and have a lot of other bills and priorities to take care of first. I've been having to cut down on dvds as well, haven't bought one in a month or so. My birthday is coming up at the end of May, so hopefully I'll get a little relief.

No dvds and no internet make Leif go crazy!!!!!!
:D :D

Michelle Schmid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michelle Holloway
What Malcolm said. I think all public libraries have computers with internet access now, and they don't charge you anything to use them. They may have a time limit if they're busy, so find a book, read for 10 mins., and put your name back on the list.

Devin U

Second Unit
I dont know your timeframe for a new pc, but I see used webtv stuff all the time for like $20 for a reciever and keyboard. I dont know if they still do service. Its kinda expensive service anyway. Afriend of mine used a Dreamcast for a while for internet. once again, dont know if service is avalible anymore, but I see used dreamcasts going for 20-40 bucks, and keyboard and mouse addons for less than 10 bucks each. Plus, you get to play games when your not on the net.

Leif Wall

Second Unit
I have a Dreamcast. You can use any dial-up ISP with it. I may end up using it, depending on how my net withdrawals go. It's just that it doesn't have the functionality that I like/want/need.

Leif Wall

Second Unit

Good idea, Jack. Never thought about that. I'll have to look into it. My original plan was just to get a cheap eMachines at Best Buy. I don't need anything great.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
hey leif, I can help you piece together a cheap system if all you need is net.. you can scrounge ebay and the parts (limited) I have here and build a system fr a couple hundred bucks usually, the monitor is the killer $.
the downside, I'm moving to denver in 2 weeks :frowning:

Leif Wall

Second Unit
I'm moving to Fargo instead of back to GF. Cheaper, more jobs, more girls, and closer to Minneapolis/St. Paul.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
good call. get the hell out while the getting is good. I'm sure SEI is hiring in fargo..

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I've got several friends near Fargo and many more friends in the Twin Cities who could build you a cheap system, if you desired.

JayV

Supporting Actor
Wal-Mart sells a Lindows systems for ~ $200. That doesn't include a monitor, though. And I'm not sure whether it comes with a NIC or a modem.

-j

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
yeah I work for SEI too.... for another 2 weeks or as long as I can stand it and I walk out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks