What's new

Line doubler in Mitsubishi RPTVs? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Hi gang,

Just got my new 55513 and am itching to try it out. However, I do not have a prog-scan DVD player. I was under the impression that this set would have some sort of line-doubler to simulate prog-scan, but didn't find anything during my first perusal of the manual. Anyone know if the set has that capability?

Alternatively, I could try plugging my laptop into the VGA input of the set and play discs through that -- would that work well?

Ken Custodio

Second Unit
I think the VGA port of the Mitsubishi's is only 640x480. So it prolly wouldn't look better than a dvd player over the component inputs.

John S

Senior HTF Member
You have your DVD player connected by component video?

Many TV's, have a 480i specific input just for proividing progressive scan. This is the way it is on my TV, and the option is only available from menu when I am on the input, or have that input selected anyways.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
My DVD player is not even connected yet -- the TV was delivered this morning just as I was leaving for work! As my old set only had an S-Video input, I was planning on picking up some component cables on the way home from work. (Know of any reason to get expensive "component video cables" instead of just decent-quality plain-old RCA cables? You can tell I'm not a wire junkie. :) )

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
component cables ARE RCA cables. Any three 75ohm cables work fine. Radio shack fusion or gold series are fine.

GeraldK

Agent
Aaron, congrats on the new set. We just took delivery on a new Mits65413 and the salesman told me that the line doubler is automatic on all analog signals. I'm sure that since your model is one step above ours, it'll be automatic on your unit as well.

Hey, Chris:
component cables ARE RCA cables. Any three 75ohm cables work fine. Radio shack fusion or gold series are fine.

I know the connectors are RCA type, but are you saying the specs are the same as well?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I found a passing mention in the manual of the set upconverting all signals, so that's likely what it's doing.

Radio Shack Fusion series component video cables are $60! I got a set of regular cables at Wal-Mart for under $20, and the picture looks fine. (I think they were RCA brand, actually.) From eyeballing the descriptions on the packaging of a couple of different cable brands, it would seem that the only difference between the set of 2 audio cables and 1 composite video cable and the "component video cable" set (which is $5 more) is the color of the labels on the connectors. :)

And for anyone wondering -- coaxial digital audio cables are regular RCA-connector cables too. (My audio is a few years ahead of my video.)

Gerald, congrats on your set too! I was originally looking at the 65413 too, but after some research involving bringing a tape measure and a portable stool to the store, I decided that the 55 would be fine (I will never say "big enough"! Never!) for my room and got the integrated HD tuner instead.

Of course, now I might need a new antenna, as I can only pick up the NBC and CBS HD signals (plus TWO different PAX stations, a weather report, and a handful of religious channels). Good thing there's only one Monday Night Football left!

Kerry

Auditioning
We went with the 55813 (I still say we could have gone 65, but the wife says no :)), and I'm amazed at the SD and dvd picture. Much, much better than I'd expected. I think the line doubler must be doing a good job.

Along those lines, I asked the salesman if I should buy a progressive scan dvd player (I have the Sony 315 now), and he said, "Not unless you're going to spend at least $400 on a truly good one."

He says the Mits line doubler outperforms the low-end (i.e. my budget) players. Anyone know if this is true?

DustinDavis

Stunt Coordinator

Maybe the Mits doublers have improved, but I know that my Panasonic RP-56 knocks the socks off the internal line doubler in my Mits WS-55819 (a couple years old). All for the incredibly outrageous price of $180.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
All indications are that the 2004 (x13 series) models are significantly improved over the 2003 (x11 series) sets. No way for me to test it out though!

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Any progressive player with a Faroudja chip will look better on the Mits. You can find these in all price ranges. My fav is the Kenwood DV-6050 which includes DVD-A and is 5 disc for $250.

I tried a bunch of players side by side at all different price levels and the Kenwood is a wonderful player for the $$$

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Cool -- is there any inexpensive player that has the Faroudja chip and SACD compatibility? (I prefer it to DVD-A -- not that there's anything wrong with DVD-A!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks