Experienced opinions please, down to two RPTVs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Beck, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Kevin Beck

Kevin Beck Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys,..

Really sorry for beating a dead horse,....I'm down to two RPTV's, and am looking for experienced input. This HD is all new to me, and there are not many outlets in my area to do much comparing. Throughout my travels, I have popped in a few electronic stores and tried to keep a log of what I have seen. I have boiled things down to a Pioneer SD643HD5,...and the Mitsubishi WS-65809 Platinum series.

I'm not familiar with the line doublers, stretch modes, and all the other unseen things,..unless your in the know that would define a better set, price aside. These sets are close in price, and seem to both be very nice equipment. Any info would be great,.

Thanks GRCRY,...>>>--->

2. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

Kevin, I personally would go with the Mits, where are you located at?

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Of the 2, the Pioneer has better line doubling and stretch modes for ntsc tv.

Mits sets are said to have excessive red push, meaning their color decoders severly emphasize reds. This can be corrected by reprogramming them with a special computer program and a pc, not a do-it-yourself project for the faint of heart, or you can add an external attenuator which will only work for one component input. To equal the quality of the Pioneer's line doubler, you can also add an I-scan Pro line doubler.

4. Diana M

Diana M Agent

I have to give the nod to the Pioneer, I just think the pq of the Pioneer is superior

Diana

5. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

The picture quality of the Pioneer is significantly superior, there is minimal red push, the stretch modes for watching NTSC are significantly better, and the line doubler is much, much better. I wanted to buy a Mits also, but I could not argue against the fact that the Pioneers are signficantly better.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

He's talking about the SD643HD5 - not the Elite x10 units. Are you sure the line-doubling is still better than the Mitsu units?

(Each model comes with different hardware and software so we need to be very careful to not generalize on the mfg name.)

7. Diana M

Diana M Agent

I've been researching these rptv's for the past 4 months, Sony XBR, Pioneer Elite x20's, Pioneer 3hd5, and Mits Platinum and Platinum plus

The Pioneer Elite comes out on top but it also costs a lot more than the regular Pioneer and I don't think it's worth the price difference

I Give the regular Pioneer the nod over Sony, the only down side of the Pioneer is screen glare, I don't know if the screen can be removed or if you have a toddler you really wouldn't want to(trust me on this one)

The Sony XBR's are also more money and you might want to avoid the integrated hd,

The Mits were the least impressive in the store(keep in mind I haven't seen them tweaked)

I saw the 533hd5 at Best Buy and was very impressed with the picture quality, for some reason they stopped selling the 64 in my area, I don't know of a store where you could buy it

If I was making a decision now I would buy the 643hd5, or bite the money bullet and go with the Elite, as the 643hd5 is not available in my area

I'm waiting for the fall line up as it is very close and I heard the Pioneer's are going to have an anti-glare screen this time, also hope it has a dvi connection, but that's another story

Diana

8. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Every major RPTV manufacturer has strengths and weaknesses within their lines and some do things a bit different by design. As far as weaknesses go, you have to decide which ones are the least objectionable to you, because everyone has different preferences. In the end, I really don't think you could go wrong with any of the sets you listed.

Keep in mind that the Pioneer Elite is in a class by itself for regular broadcasts due to it's superior line doubler(not a benefit for prog. scan DVD & HDTV), but it is also in a price class by itself too.

If cost is no object then I'd go for the Elite, but if you want good performance without the hefty price tag, the regular Pioneer's, Sony's, and Mitsubishi's have good offerings, as well.

DJ

9. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

10. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

One thing to consider as well with the unstability of the HD format itself is Mitsubishi is the only comapny to back the product with the promise of ugradeability at an affordable price.

11. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Like Kevin said, Mits is the only manufacturer offering upgradeability. That was one of the major reasons I chose the 55908 (Diamond series) over the Elite 620. The Elite definitely has a better picture out of the box but it also costs ~$2000 more. Mitsubishi TV's from what I've read are highly tweakable and can with enough tinkering produce just as good a picture as the Pioneer. Getting a real ISF calibration, unlike the one provided by my dealer, is on my to do list.

12. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

13. George W

George W Stunt Coordinator

Kevin,

Make sure you read up on the latest dvi/hdcp fiasco going on. There are a couple posts here on the issue, and you might want to consider holding off until these new sets become more prevelant. Of course, maybe a mits could be upgraded to this, but maybe not. Just something to think about.

George

14. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

George -- As Scooter, one of our more decorated HTF members has said: "DVI HDTV? Not in MY HOUSE!" I won't support DVI or DFAST or any of that crap. Nuh-uh. I'll get an HDTV set without it. In fact, I doubt any of this DVI stuff will become popular with Joe Sixpack.

15. Kevin Beck

Kevin Beck Stunt Coordinator

Wow,..

Thanks for all the input. I'm a workaholic, and don't watch much in the way of TV. What I like when I do set down, is movies. Most of my veiwing will be with DVD's. I am puzzled by this new developement DVI is it? What the heck is all this about, and as somebody said, is it something that can be integraded to an upgradable set? I can't see all the equipment out there now, becoming useless.

Thanks agin,..and anything else you may think of is greatly appreciated,..

GRCRY,...>>>--->