What's new

Lights that blink with the beat? (1 Viewer)

Mark Hsieh

Agent
I have no idea which forum to put this in, but since it has to do with music, this is the one that I thought was closest to the subject. Anyways, if its the wrong forum, I'm sorry. Anyways here's my predicament.

I got a pen a couple days ago that had a cool blue light you could turn on and off and that was really bright. Then I flickered it on and off while listening to music about 5 minutes ago and thought..hey wouldn't it be cool to have some lighting system that flashed along with the beat? I thought I read about something similar where people did the same thing with CCD's in their computers.
I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find pre-built/tutorials on how to build one? Thanks for any help!

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
They got those things for the car that plugs into the cig lighter.. takes in 12v DC, you might find some of those...

TomCW

Second Unit
The device is called a 'color organ' (I'm not kidding).
They were all the rage in the 70's.
Here's one in kit form, only $30
Tom

Mark Hsieh

Agent
I've found a couple light kits with the sound sensor on E-bay, but they plug into the 3 pin molar connection to a psu. Is there such a converter that will allow me to plug it into wall?

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
The scene in Almost Famous which takes place during the party at the kid's house in his bedroom has a color organ at work

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I've found a couple light kits with the sound sensor on E-bay, but they plug into the 3 pin molar connection to a psu. Is there such a converter that will allow me to plug it into wall?
Just get a 12v (or 5V, depending on what voltage is used) DC adaptor, and hook it up to the correct pins of the connector.

Mark Hsieh

Agent
Just get a 12v (or 5V, depending on what voltage is used) DC adaptor, and hook it up to the correct pins of the connector.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm hooking it up to my room, not my car and I can't find an AC Adaptor with a molar connection..even at radioshack.com

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, just cut off the molex connector, and cut off the end (well you dont HAVE to, but if you wanna solder it solid, then you should) of the AC ADAPTOR, and hook it up accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks