What's new

LIFEFORCE coming next year from Scream Factory...what can we expect? (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Looks like it's finally going to happen, a Blu-ray of Tobe Hooper's best film (sorry TCM fans). To paraphrase what I've written in other threads, it's far from being a guilty pleasure; it's one of my favorite horror films, period. Nothing guilty about it. The last great old-school British-style sci-fi/horror film, extremely reminiscent of Hammer's Quatermass films, with generous dollops of Dracula, 2001, ALIEN and Romero thrown in for good measure. Chock full of crackerjack Brit character actors, just the right mixture of straight-playing and dry wit, fabulous John Dykstra effects that still hold up twenty-five years later, and a stupendous Henry Mancini orchestral score. And, oh yes, I nearly forgot...lots of lovely bare female flesh in the form of Mathilda May, one of the most flawlessly beautiful women I've ever seen. Mmmmmmm...
I'll never understand the denigration heaped upon this film, even by horror fans; what more could a retro horror/sci-fi/monster movie fan possibly want? I'll defend it to the grave, I will, and perhaps beyond...muhuhuhahahaha...
So, what can we expect (or hope) to be included on this most welcome Blu-ray?
Let me get some extras comments out of the way first, before I get to the meat of the matter. At the very least, I'm hoping for:
The original theatrical trailer in full anamorphic widescreen format (the trailer included on the laserdisc is cropped 4:3, and I'm not sure if it's in widescreen on the DVD because I could never get the trailer to play)
The original vintage "Making Of" featurette that was shown on TV and also released on laserdisc as a double-feature with the "Making Of Invaders From Mars" (would be ideal if the cropped film clips in this could be replaced with anamorphic widescreen equivalent clips, but that would probably be asking too much)

Feature commentary by Tobe Hooper and whomever else might be available and/or practical
In the nice-to-have-but-not-essential department:
New interviews with cast and crew
The alternate re-edited U.S. opening title sequence
A rundown of differences between the three cuts of the film (WHAT? THREE cuts you say? Yep...three cuts. Read on...)
Now, for the meat of the matter...
The currently available 116-minute international version will be great to have on Blu in HD and the transfer Scream Factory's going to use apparently already exists and has been director-approved. HOWEVER...the original DIRECTOR'S CUT running 128 minutes is what this occasion truly calls for, if those extra twelve minutes still exist. Does anyone know? I'm absolutely dying to know what's in those still-missing minutes, as there are still a few plot holes that could possibly be plugged. If that footage could be located, might it be possible to integrate it back into the film, via seamless branching if nothing else, so that both cuts of the film could be viewed? Or at least, put these scenes on the disc as an extra? This is a vital missing piece of LIFEFORCE history, and the hardcore fans of this film (which hopefully number a few more than just me) would give their eyeteeth to see it. I know some would like to see the butchered U.S. theatrical version included as a separate cut, but in my opinion, the alternate title sequence would be enough to remind us of its inferiority, and if another version was to be included at all, the 128-minute original Director's Cut would be far more valuable to have, especially since you can get the U.S. theatrical cut on German DVD if you REALLY want it, though I can't imagine why anyone would.
Cliff and Co., I truly hope you can make my LIFEFORCE dreams come true.
From Wikipedia, regarding the original cut of the film:
The initial cut of Lifeforce as edited by Tobe Hooper was 128 mins long. This is 12 minutes longer than the final version which had several scenes cut, most of them taking place on the space shuttle Churchill. According to Nicholas Ball, who played the main British astronaut, Derebridge, it was felt that there was too much material in outer space and so the majority of the Churchill scenes were deleted. Also, most of Nicholas Ball's performance ended up on the cutting room floor according to an interview he gave on the UK talk show Wogan in 1985.
Patrick Stewart said in interviews that he was disappointed at the cuts made to the film and that Tobe Hooper was his favorite director to work with.
According to interviews with Bill Malin, who plays one of the male vampires, the film went over schedule during production. Because of this some important scenes were never shot, and the film was shut down at one time because the studio had simply run out of money.
Despite being credited on the US domestic cut, the following actors were deleted from that cut of the film: John Woodnutt, John Forbes-Robertson and Russell Sommers.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
what can we expect?

A plethora of nudity, if I remember correctly.

Isn't that the film where this beautiful woman
walks around naked for just about the film's entire length?

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Ah, clever. Yes, this is the very film in which that occurs. Although, it's got many other things to recommend it as well. And I really hope Cliff and the gang are going all out on this one, because it really needs and deserves it.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Ronald Epstein said:
what can we expect?
For about the first half-hour, anyway.:cool:

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
It's going to seem like FOREVER until this gets released. Seriously, this unheralded gem has been at the top of my most-wanted list for a loooooooong time. And I REALLY hope they can dig up that long-missing footage.
"It'll be much less terrifying if you just come to me."
"I'll do just that!"
*one of the greatest vampire deaths of all time occurs*

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
While I like this movie, it has always struck me as a little odd. Maybe it's the performance of Railsback, he always brought a difference tone to his performances.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've always had a soft spot for Lifeforce. The story is based on an interesting, fairly unique concept, and the film is well executed. It holds your attention and, mostly despite itself, possesses a good bit of epic, end-of-the-world feel. But yeah, Railsback's performance is not one of the strong points IMO and is probably my least favorite thing about the movie. He's just not a very good actor. Most of time he's way over the top. I think that Lifeforce would have been a better film if Hooper had reigned him in to a dull roar.
That being said I'm glad to hear that it's coming to Blu-ray and hope that it's given a good treatment. The inclusion of the uncut version would be icing on the cake.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
dpippel said:
I've always had a soft spot for Lifeforce. The story is based on an interesting, fairly unique concept, and the film is well executed. It holds your attention and, mostly despite itself, possesses a good bit of epic, end-of-the-world feel. But yeah, Railsback's performance is not one of the strong points IMO and is probably my least favorite thing about the movie. He's just not a very good actor. Most of time he's way over the top. I think that Lifeforce would have been a better film if Hooper had reigned him in to a dull roar.
That being said I'm glad to hear that it's coming to Blu-ray and hope that it's given a good treatment. The inclusion of the uncut version would be icing on the cake.
Regarding your opinion of Mr. Railsback's acting: have you seen THE STUNT MAN or, even better, the t.v. movie HELTER SKELTER (both available on video)? You might re-assess if you do.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Dick said:
Regarding your opinion of Mr. Railsback's acting: have you seen THE STUNT MAN or, even better, the t.v. movie HELTER SKELTER (both available on video)? You might re-assess if you do.
I've seen both. Railsback has never clicked with me, and while he was fine in the two productions you mention I still don't think he's a very good actor. Just my opinion.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Dick said:
He was great in a couple of episodes of The X-Files too. I don't remember Lifeforce enough to speak to his performance in that but he has turned in some very good work.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'm not sure, but I vaguely recall that the excised nudity had something to do with the age of Ms. May at the time of filming.
At any rate, this is a great genre film. Most people who have actually seen it seem to have a positive opinion.
And, Johnny, this movie is way more than "a little" odd! Not that that's a bad thing. ;)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I remember the hub bub surrounding this movie. A couple other French actresses had been doing American movies as well. Emmanuelle is slightly older than Mathilda, yet even when she was 18....boy did she not look it.
Mathilda celebrated her 19th birthday while filming Lifeforce. But I do think Lifeforce kicked the door in for Manon of the Spring to do well in the States.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ronald Epstein said:
what can we expect?
My first thought exactly

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
You mean the Jim Jarmusch film?
LIFEFORCE was a major release in 1985 and a first-rate sci-fi horror film. The DVD is nice but it has the shorter cut.
Yeah, Mathilda May plays a nude vampire who attracts victims like a magnet. She's very young and impossibly beautiful. She has no dialog, and is required to perform with a tranquil expression and a physical grace. I read somewhere that she teaches dance and ballet in Paris and occasionally she makes a movie. She's a real actress who has given serious performances in other films as well. The other one-sheets are imaginative in their sci-fi art but have explicit nudity (highly unusual in the 1980s) or I would post them here. There's a lot more to LIFEFORCE than just Mathilda. I look forward to seeing the film in hi-definition. I'd love to see the longer cut.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Richard--W said:
Yeah, Mathilda May plays a nude vampire who attracts victims like a magnet. She's very young and impossibly beautiful. She has no dialog, and is required to perform with a tranquil expression and a physical grace. I read somewhere that she teaches dance and ballet in Paris and occasionally she makes a movie. She's a real actress who has given serious performances in other films as well. The other one-sheets are imaginative in their sci-fi art but have explicit nudity (highly unusual in the 1980s) or I would post them here.
I love learning information about movies like this. The beautiful vampire lives in Paris and teaches ballet. BTW, go ahead an post those one-sheets, I won't tell on you. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks