What's new

Liar Liar - which version? (1 Viewer)

Timmy T

Auditioning
I've done a serach in Amazon and it showed 3 versions of 'Liar Liar' DVD :

(a) DD version - Full screen

(b) Collectors' edition - 1.85:1 anamorphic, DD, with lots of supplements

(c) DTS version - Full screen

What is the OAR for Liar Liar? Is the DTS version really full screen?

May I have some recommendations on which version should I buy?

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
Well the full screen version (a) must immediately be out of the running.
I dont own this movie, but I'd be shocked if the DTS were full screen. Normally it comes down to a choice between "better" sound or more extras. Depends on what you'd prefer for this particular film really.
Edit:
I just checked a couple other online stores and they say the DTS is full screen. Is this true!? If so, why? :confused:
Well in that case. Its the DD SE all the way.

Timmy T

Auditioning
Thanks, Paul.

My concern now is that the Collectors' edition may also be FS (or it should be P&S).

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
I own the Collector's Edition of Liar Liar and the DVD is in it's OAR of 1.85:1 (and it's anamorphic). Extras include an audio commentary with the director, a Spotlight on Location featurette, a deleted scene, outtakes, a trailer, cast and crew biographies, and production notes.
Two versions were released prior to the Collector's Edition: Pan & Scan Dolby Digital and Pan & Scan DTS. Don't get both of them. The OAR is 1.85:1 and I'm sure it's not open matte (there was even a widescreen VHS release of the movie).

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Like Matthew said, the DTS is P&S. I found this out the hard way. I assumed it was WS because who in their right mind would release a DTS title that wasn't?

'Wrong-oh!' And that sucker wasnt cheap. Good thing I could return it the SECOND I realized what I had.

Marc

Chris M

Second Unit
Well, again.. isn't The Shadow P&S And DTS? Universal is just plain weird... wonder who made their marketing decisions back then!

Chris.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
The fact that they would make a P&S with DTS just shows how clueless some of these marketing people were (and are).

Mitty

Supporting Actor
You could always wait for the "Ultimate" edition with DD/DTS, OAR & P&S, etc. :)
Of course, Universal will only go to the effort if there's a sequel coming out in theatres.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Liar Liar is open matte except for one of the scenes at the end which used some CGI work.

I can't believe this...DTS and P&S??? That's a match made in Hell.

Joel C

Screenwriter
I just watched the Shadow a couple of nights ago. A great cheeseball comic book film, and one I really wish had been released in its OAR.

Stupid early Universal titles! You are why I don't own Kindergarten Cop! And you too, Columbia, I want My Girl in OAR.

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
I too have the Universal Signature Collection Laserdisc
of Liar Liar with all the special features and in 1.85.1
aspect ratio wodescreen edition in DD5.1.
Its good enough for me not to upgrade to DVD DD or DTS
format. Just the other day still manage to come across
a DTS Laserdisc version in one of the dealer's shop. Its
a one disc version where as mine is a two disc set.
I am just happy with what I have.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks