What's new
World Wide Stereo

LG OLED65E6P vs LG OLED65C6P (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
Great! I'm still gonna try to look at one in person, but I have a strong feeling I'll go for the C6.

If I don't like it, I'm blaming you! ;) :D

My tv is in the corner of the rooom so it fits in quite well. Not a good time for me to buy but BB had a good price and free financing so it all fell into place. It's amazing how much better 3D looks on it compared to my 5 year old, 50" LCD Sony...... It's day and night

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Decision finally made: went with the C6!

Played "price roulette" for a while there - literally as soon as I decided to buy, my preferred vendor jacked up their price $300!

Waited a week and it came back down - and then some. It's now $50 cheaper than what I paid! :(

Well, at least that decision is done!

Can anyone point me toward settings that I can use until I get someone to calibrate the set?

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I got the C6 during 2016's Black Friday and honestly, I freaking love it. The 3-D is sensational. And yes, the curve is not drastic and your brain adapts anyway.

If I had a gun to my head and someone asked me to pick ONE nit with this TV, it would be... just pull the damn trigger.

Enjoy!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I got the C6 during 2016's Black Friday and honestly, I freaking love it. The 3-D is sensational. And yes, the curve is not drastic and your brain adapts anyway.

If I had a gun to my head and someone asked me to pick ONE nit with this TV, it would be... just pull the damn trigger.

Enjoy!

Thanks!

Do you have any recommendations for settings?

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I came across this...

First off, kill TruMotion, Motion Eye Care, Dynamic Contrast, Super Resolution, Edge Enhancer, and all noise reduction settings. Honestly, I did not monkey around with the colors and brightness. I am no A/V expert, so I didn't want to turn my TV look into a Starbucks Unicorn Frappacino.

I did turn on the "HDR Effect" picture mode (fake HDR) on a whim and found it inoffensive for all my normal Blu-ray content... but then again, I think it's okay to drink wine out of a can, so your preference may vary. I would recommend not calibrating the picture against The Lord of the Rings, though.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I came across this...

First off, kill TruMotion, Motion Eye Care, Dynamic Contrast, Super Resolution, Edge Enhancer, and all noise reduction settings. Honestly, I did not monkey around with the colors and brightness. I am no A/V expert, so I didn't want to turn my TV look into a Starbucks Unicorn Frappacino.

I did turn on the "HDR Effect" picture mode (fake HDR) on a whim and found it inoffensive for all my normal Blu-ray content... but then again, I think it's okay to drink wine out of a can, so your preference may vary. I would recommend not calibrating the picture against The Lord of the Rings, though.

Thanks!

My "old" Panny plasma spoiled me - its THX settings were really satisfying so I felt no need to much too much with them.

Guess I'll have to put more work into the LG, though I do plan to get professional calibration for this one - I just want to have some good settings as a stopgap until that takes place!

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I had a Panasonic plasma also. The moment the LG came up, I was stunned by how gray and flat the plasma had looked by comparison.

Why waste the effort building algorithms into a TV that must always be turned off, though?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info!

3D is an absolute for me. I'm only interested in a 3D 4K set, so the 2017 LGs aren't an option for me...

I was in the same boat as you and I went for the 65 curved OLED. I don't find the curve obtrusive at all so far. And I also wanted passive 3D since I imagine replacement active glasses will soon become a pain in the ass to obtain where with Passive you can just bring home the glasses you get at the movie theater if you need extras.

I did go through a lengthy process to get to the curved OLED. I had originally purchased one of the less expensive LED models (after going through many orders with the "no name discount outlets who all claimed to have the set I wanted in stock but in reality did not) but for some reason the 3D on it was plagued with crosstalk (I had a lengthy private conversation with @Johnny Angell on this who bought a similar model but told me the 3D on his was fine). I had a tech come over but he couldn't do much even after replacing the board on it. I sent it back and but the bullet on the OLED.

Kenbar

Auditioning
Real Name
Kenneth
I was in the same boat as you and I went for the 65 curved OLED. I don't find the curve obtrusive at all so far. And I also wanted passive 3D since I imagine replacement active glasses will soon become a pain in the ass to obtain where with Passive you can just bring home the glasses you get at the movie theater if you need extras.

I did go through a lengthy process to get to the curved OLED. I had originally purchased one of the less expensive LED models (after going through many orders with the "no name discount outlets who all claimed to have the set I wanted in stock but in reality did not) but for some reason the 3D on it was plagued with crosstalk (I had a lengthy private conversation with @Johnny Angell on this who bought a similar model but told me the 3D on his was fine). I had a tech come over but he couldn't do much even after replacing the board on it. I sent it back and but the bullet on the OLED.

Had to sign up to say I went thru the same thing. Bought a LG 55" UH8500 from Amazon just to have a back up 3D TV.. Picture and 3D was great on it, but I realised I could fit a 65 inch in the space, so sent it back and bought the 65 UH8500. And then problems started. Had a poorly aligned polarizing filter, with crosstalk in the upper left corner. LG service was great and they ordered/replaced the panel...3D was great but had bad vertical banding. Ordered another one...badly aligned filter again, this time crosstalk in center to upper right quadrant.. They ordered another one, but my return window was closing, so I returned the tv. I decided to go try a Oled "C" model...Best Buy had a open box with 2 hours on it. Found out why it had been returned...crosstalk upper right quadrant. Returned that and ordered another from Beach Camera. And lady luck finally smiled on me.

There seems to be many with poorly aligned filters out there.

Last edited:

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
Thanks!

My "old" Panny plasma spoiled me - its THX settings were really satisfying so I felt no need to much too much with them.

Guess I'll have to put more work into the LG, though I do plan to get professional calibration for this one - I just want to have some good settings as a stopgap until that takes place!

Hey Colin, how are you liking the new tv?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Hey Colin, how are you liking the new tv?

Haven't hooked it up yet! Went out of town literally the day after it arrived and haven't gotten home yet so I've not had a chance to give it a look! :wacko:

Might have to wait a few days after I DO get back - I still haven't figured out where to put the old 60" so I gotta work out the logistics.

Might not see the OLED in action until some time in 2018! :laugh:

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Is there anything that needs to be done to activate the 4K upscaler? I can't find any obvious setting to do it.

Right now the signal coming from my cable box looks pretty shitty on thing. The tv is correctly detecting it at 1080i. I set my receiver to strictly signal pass through. So I'm trying to get the tv to do the upscaling. For a test, I did activate the upscaler on my receiver and when I did the tv correctly detected at 2160 signal. But I have heard that optimally the tv or your UHD player is more ideal for handling the upscaling.

Any advice? Thanks!

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
But I have heard that optimally the tv or your UHD player is more ideal for handling the upscaling.

The best place to do the upscaling is the player, true, and the worst place to do it is the display. Usually. If you have a somewhat-recent AVR, that is the second-best (or second-worst) place to do it. Don't be at all surprised if your AVR does it much better than your display then. For a cable box, the AVR is often the best choice. Try all options, you never know! I have been surprised the odd time...

I have always thought that display manufacturers assume you're doing your upconversion elsewhere, so tend to put less effort into it. Some do a nice job though, especially on "premium" models where it is quite likely there won't be an AVR/etc. in the chain, such as in some commercial/business use.

On the other subject of some "distortions" in some areas of the panel for 3D: I think I have one of those. It is not mine, I am just sort of looking after it for...I don't know for how much longer, but it's been a while so far, sufficiently temporary that it's "installed" sitting right in front of my plasma (so no real comparisons, except in my memory). [Edit: the guy who gave me the panel saw my post :) and has now informed me the owners don't want the panel after all, they liked it/4K so much they changed to a Sony PJ for the room he built, and he's still not sure what to do with the panel. He is a Sony OLED provider, not LG...]

I thought the problem was just me, I often don't do well with some types of 3D implementation. For instance, I think my own LCD panel is very poor with 3D, and it's not just me in that case. I thought I would use that LCD panel for gaming and 3D only, but it's turned out not to be that good for either (compared to plasma, and IMO)...live and learn. As a further aside, I think such poor 3D implementations is a large part of consumers generally not being thrilled with it, and LG's problems with it (too high a failure/return rate) are probably a major part of the reason they decided not to continue it, because a poor filter "ruins" what would otherwise be a perfectly fine panel.

Last edited:

WillG

Senior HTF Member
The best place to do the upscaling is the player, true, and the worst place to do it is the display. Usually. If you have a somewhat-recent AVR, that is the second-best (or second-worst) place to do it. Don't be at all surprised if your AVR does it much better than your display then. For a cable box, the AVR is often the best choice. Try all options, you never know! I have been surprised the odd time...

I have always thought that display manufacturers assume you're doing your upconversion elsewhere, so tend to put less effort into it. Some do a nice job though, especially on "premium" models where it is quite likely there won't be an AVR/etc. in the chain, such as in some commercial/business use.

On the other subject of some "distortions" in some areas of the panel for 3D: I think I have one of those. It is not mine, I am just sort of looking after it for...I don't know for how much longer, but it's been a while so far, sufficiently temporary that it's "installed" sitting right in front of my plasma (so no real comparisons, except in my memory). [Edit: the guy who gave me the panel saw my post :) and has now informed me the owners don't want the panel after all, they liked it/4K so much they changed to a Sony PJ for the room he built, and he's still not sure what to do with the panel. He is a Sony OLED provider, not LG...]

I thought the problem was just me, I often don't do well with some types of 3D implementation. For instance, I think my own LCD panel is very poor with 3D, and it's not just me in that case. I thought I would use that LCD panel for gaming and 3D only, but it's turned out not to be that good for either (compared to plasma, and IMO)...live and learn. As a further aside, I think such poor 3D implementations is a large part of consumers generally not being thrilled with it, and LG's problems with it (too high a failure/return rate) are probably a major part of the reason they decided not to continue it, because a poor filter "ruins" what would otherwise be a perfectly fine panel.

I did hear that the LG OLED were pretty good with the upscaling. I either have to use the AVR or the OLED to do this because my cable box isn't going to have an upscalier, or my game consoles (as far as I know). But I do want to know if there is anything I need to do to activate the upscalier on the OLED because there does not seem to be an obvious setting to do so from what I have seen.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
After dealing with LG's "customer service", I wouldn't recommend buying their products to anyone. And by products, I mean anything that they manufacture.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I did hear that the LG OLED were pretty good with the upscaling. I either have to use the AVR or the OLED to do this because my cable box isn't going to have an upscalier, or my game consoles (as far as I know). But I do want to know if there is anything I need to do to activate the upscalier on the OLED because there does not seem to be an obvious setting to do so from what I have seen.

I have not played around a whole lot with it, not done most of the things I want to do, because it's not mine. The only thing I upscale into it that isn't upscaled at the source device is from gaming consoles, and in my case, the AVR (Denon) does the better job. IMO neither the E6 or AVR are particularly great, but good enough that it doesn't bother me. I should say that neither of my own large displays, Pio plasma and Samsung LCD, do any upscaling better than the E6 or even well, so my standards of judgment aren't high...the video sources are often 720p!

I let the player do any upscaling for discs, always, any video "modification" is disabled in the AVR for those source inputs. Almost forgot: I also let my streaming device (Minix) do the upscaling, its 4K output is surprisingly (to me) decent.

Last edited:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
After dealing with LG's "customer service", I wouldn't recommend buying their products to anyone. And by products, I mean anything that they manufacture.

We are in Canada, and I am thinking exactly what you're thinking, but didn't want to say it... :) May be different in the U.S., lots of manufacturers behave completely differently there, stricter laws etc. I honestly can't imagine the multiple panel exchanges ever EVER happening in Canada the way some in the U.S. described. Our standards of "customer service" are far removed from the American experience, that's for sure.

Still...I am actually waffling between buying my own E6, or G6 or E7. The 6s strictly for the 3D. I would not even have known there were potential 3D issues were it not for this thread, even though I could see "something", I didn't know what it was. My Samsung 3D looks quite different, and not even remotely as good, so I certainly am not disappointed with the E6, obviously impressed enough to consider buying one. While I still can, that's why the G6 is in the mix, more of them still available, but a tad pricy. [Edit: my info on G6 availability was from last week. Maybe somebody had a sale, or they got diverted to the U.S., but that option seems gone now.]

The waffle is because *I am told* that for my purposes, the E7 would be the better choice, and it costs the same as the E6. I guess the E6 is maintaining its price for the 3D aspect. So 3D or not 3D, that is the real dilemma for me, not E6 or E7 technical differences per se, though they are inextricably intertwined.

I really only started getting into 3D a couple of years ago, and only have a few dozen 3D discs, so it's not like I can't emotionally "abandon" it. OTOH, I specifically bought a better 3D disc player relatively recently (with 4K output I mean), and the last time I specifically bought a disc for 3D was...today...so I'm not there yet!

To tie this together, like a nice little rug: what are my chances of getting an E6 (my preference, since it's "known") with good coatings for 3D, at this stage of availability, *in Canada*? (A mostly rhetorical Q.) I am not encouraged by some of the things the dealers that have them say, like "clearance", and some of the connotations that often has here re exchange/return.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks