What's new

3D Why keep fighting for 3-D, even if you're not a fan! (1 Viewer)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
How much that disc cost you?
Underworld Blood Wars IN 3D [Blu-ray]
Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 8.58.41 AM.png

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Hopefully the UK 3D version that's now available for pre-order will actually be released. The price there is closer to $25 US.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Just finished watching this and I want to say that the Japanese are very fortunate. Find nothing mediocre about this production. Kate Beckinsale is at her absolute best, and the supporting actors are superb. Plot is full throttle with twists and turns. Also, the 3D definitely does not disappoint. Hope the UK version gets the release and possibly a BestBuy exclusive release for the U.S..

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Talking of expensive 3D Blu-Ray releases THE MAD MAGICIAN 3D which was Columbia's final 3D movie in the 50's could be called expensive, but as a piece of legendary 3D cinema history and restored it was worth every penny to me. They did a smashing job with it and it is a limited number run so worth getting hold of for your 3D library, certainly looked splendid when we projected it.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Talking of expensive 3D Blu-Ray releases THE MAD MAGICIAN 3D which was Columbia's final 3D movie in the 50's could be called expensive, but as a piece of legendary 3D cinema history and restored it was worth every penny to me. They did a smashing job with it and it is a limited number run so worth getting hold of for your 3D library, certainly looked splendid when we projected it.

Yes The Mad Magician has some very unique pop-out scenes. The one where a desk and the person writing on it are completely out-of-the-screen are very cool to see.

davidbe520

Auditioning
Real Name
David
The rep from LG said dropping 3D was mainly due to "lack of consumer interest".

I think a lot of that stems from LG's extremely poor marketing. There was no consumer interest because the public had no idea that 3D was so good on these OLEDs, and LG did nothing to educate them on that. They never mentioned in any ad that LG had the best 3D ever (their expensive SuperBowl ad, a very poorly constructed ad in general, never mentioned 3D when it easily could have), and they never promoted the showing of 3D material in showrooms (when I asked at Best Buy if they could show me what 3D looked like on the OLED, the answer was no).

On top of that, the best-selling OLEDs, naturally, are the lower priced ones. And since the only lower-priced one that had 3D was also curved, and people did not like curved and did not know about 3D, they didn't buy the curved 3D model and LG concluded they didn't want 3D when really they didn't know about 3D and what they didn't want was the curve so they bought the B6 instead of the C6.

In my experience, when people come over to my house and I show them my E6, they immediately want 3D! They just had no idea that such beautiful 3D existed! There would be consumer demand if only the consumers could see what they were missing. But they couldn't, so no interest was generated.

Plus, most people who had seen 3D on TV before OLED did not care for the quality, so they lost interest in 3DTV. They have no idea that 4K OLED changed that with an enormous advance in quality.

It's a catch 22. There is a lack of consumer interest because the consumers just don't know about it.

It's a sad shame, too. I believe OLED could have revived 3D if it had been marketed better. I get enormous pleasure from my 3D OLED, but other people will never know this pleasure because of the poor marketing.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Wondering if anyone can steer me in the right direction here. I was interested in getting the 3D UHD tv that @Johnny Angell talked about some pages back. They have become hard to find. I did find a place where they still had that model in stock. The guy I talked to said they have it by LG no longer supports the warranty. The guy told me about another model. It's a little more than what I wanted to spend, but he said it's 10 Bit and it has 3D and LG still supports the warranty

LG 65UH8500-UA - 65" 3D LED Smart TV - VIDEO OPTIMIZED 4K UltraHD 10 BIT (MADE IN MEXICO) WITH 1 YEAR USA WARRANTY

I googled the model number above, but am having trouble (as far as I know) finding a match. Is anyone familiar with this model?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Wondering if anyone can steer me in the right direction here. I was interested in getting the 3D UHD tv that @Johnny Angell talked about some pages back. They have become hard to find. I did find a place where they still had that model in stock. The guy I talked to said they have it by LG no longer supports the warranty. The guy told me about another model. It's a little more than what I wanted to spend, but he said it's 10 Bit and it has 3D and LG still supports the warranty

LG 65UH8500-UA - 65" 3D LED Smart TV - VIDEO OPTIMIZED 4K UltraHD 10 BIT (MADE IN MEXICO) WITH 1 YEAR USA WARRANTY

I googled the model number above, but am having trouble (as far as I know) finding a match. Is anyone familiar with this model?
It looks like the availability of 3D is narrowing. I looked at the TV and $1500 and whatever, is a good price and 2-3 of those merchants didn't charge sales tax. One of them was Abe's and I think they're reputable. Others can confirm or deny that better than me.

The other day we were in Sam's I think, and damn if I didn't see an OLED and I think it was an LG but I'm not sure. I had not wanted to see one so I wouldn't know what I was missing and I discovered, yup I'm missing something. The OLED was knock-your-socks-off good. Here's a link to one on Amazon and it has 3D if you're looking for that. It's out of my price range.
https://amazon.com/LG-Electronics-O...TF8&qid=1494549740&sr=1-3&keywords=lg+oled+65

WillG

Senior HTF Member
It looks like the availability of 3D is narrowing. I looked at the TV and $1500 and whatever, is a good price and 2-3 of those merchants didn't charge sales tax. One of them was Abe's and I think they're reputable. Others can confirm or deny that better than me.

The other day we were in Sam's I think, and damn if I didn't see an OLED and I think it was an LG but I'm not sure. I had not wanted to see one so I wouldn't know what I was missing and I discovered, yup I'm missing something. The OLED was knock-your-socks-off good. Here's a link to one on Amazon and it has 3D if you're looking for that. It's out of my price range.
https://amazon.com/LG-Electronics-O...TF8&qid=1494549740&sr=1-3&keywords=lg+oled+65

Yeah, way more than I want to pay (we're buying a new place so money not a ton in the frivolous expenditure budget. I've lived with LED so far so I guess I'll have to live a little longer. I did try Abe's and Joe's but they were out of stock even though the website said otherwise. TVSuperstores had the same model you got, but I don't know exactly how reputable they are and if they are trying to hustle me (though, my last TV was from one of those "no name, tax free" outlets, and it worked out fine. And I did convince the guy to at TVsuperstores to throw in a wall mount for free). But I'm just trying to figure out the difference since the SKUs are almost the same. I would like to be future proof as possible and that's why the 10-Bit enticed me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks