What's new

LG 65UH8500 3D Issue (1 Viewer)

MitchellD

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased the LG 65UH8500 earlier this week. While I can see the issues everyone is complaining about (black levels & banding), in my dimly, but not dark, room, it does not bother me. Actually I am very happy with the 2D picture.

My problem is with the 3D, and I need advice as to whether the problem is that my tv is defective and needs to go back to the store, or a limitation of the tv and all the 65UH8500's have this problem. The problem that I am getting a lot of crosstalk (3d ghosting) in the top third of the picture. I popped in the Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark test disc, and in the 3D depth (both forward & rear) tests, the top left 3 images, in addition to showing the test pattern where it should be, showed dimmer but noticeable ghosting of the left/right image offset in the background.

What this does when playing an actual 3D movie is cause anything in the top left side of the screen to be blurry.

Has anyone else come across this, or is my display defective. I have another 10 days to bring it back to Best Buy for a new tv. After that, I will have to have this one serviced which I rather not do.

The 2D picture is flawless.

Help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
smile.gif

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I had briefly considered this TV and the 9500 series as well, but I changed my mind after I read that this lack of uniformity with the layer that allows for passive 3D is prevalent in these sets but is not in all of them. Some have no problems, so it's a matter of playing the panel lottery in regards to 3D if you want a panel that offers uniform visibility in 3D.

LGDave

Auditioning
Real Name
David Erwin
I purchased the LG 65UH8500 earlier this week. While I can see the issues everyone is complaining about (black levels & banding), in my dimly, but not dark, room, it does not bother me. Actually I am very happy with the 2D picture.

My problem is with the 3D, and I need advice as to whether the problem is that my tv is defective and needs to go back to the store, or a limitation of the tv and all the 65UH8500's have this problem. The problem that I am getting a lot of crosstalk (3d ghosting) in the top third of the picture. I popped in the Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark test disc, and in the 3D depth (both forward & rear) tests, the top left 3 images, in addition to showing the test pattern where it should be, showed dimmer but noticeable ghosting of the left/right image offset in the background.

What this does when playing an actual 3D movie is cause anything in the top left side of the screen to be blurry.

Has anyone else come across this, or is my display defective. I have another 10 days to bring it back to Best Buy for a new tv. After that, I will have to have this one serviced which I rather not do.

The 2D picture is flawless.

Help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
smile.gif

I really hope you returned that TV, MitchellD! I had the EXACT same issue! I bought my TV about 5 days ago from Best Buy and ever since I pushed the 3D button , it's been a ghosting nightmare! I should have known something was wrong when the 3D test image had severe ghosting on the top 10-15 percent of the tv, but I just thought it was a setting or the angle.
For the next 5 days, I went through multiple bluray 3ds, several different angles, and every possible combination of the 3d effect settings and still, no matter what I did, I had bad ghosting(mostly on the top of the TV, but it would pop up everywhere randomly during movie playback). And if I somehow managed to get a semi ghost free image? It was a completely flat image with no "dimensions" whatsoever!
I did tons of research online and the issue was either a defective FPR unit or it could have been potentially caused during transit while bringing it home(I had to lay it down in my vehicle and that's a big no no, but the best buy guy helped me do it so I didn't think it was an issue!) I took mine back tonight and got a new one and when we loaded it, we made sure to keep it upright (this best buy dude said to never lay it down, especially while transporting!) I got home, dialed it in, pushed that 3D button and the 3d on my new set is BREATHTAKING! Absolutely NO ghosting whatsoever and even converting 2d tv shows to 3d has yield amazing results!
I'm leaning towards the FPR unit but just keep the transit thing in mind and if you can score a solid set, you will NOT be disappointed! Hope this helps as I wanted to make it a point to give you the experience I had with this same tv! Don't give up until you find the one that works! (or if you kept it, make sure they replace the FPR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks