Lexicon MC-1 software upgrade

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher Lyn, Jun 27, 2002.

  1. Christopher Lyn

    Christopher Lyn Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2002
    Messages:
    124
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi all...up hear in Toronto, the best price I can get to upgrade the MC-1 from ver 1 to ver 4 is between $700.00 to $800.00 (Cdn.).

    In the U.s., I heard that the upgrade would cost betwen $400.00 to $500.00 (Cdn.). I was wondering if this is true? If so, is it possible to just buy the chips from Lexicon or an authorized dealer and have a dealer up hear in Canada install them?
     
  2. Herb Kane

    Herb Kane Screenwriter

    Joined:
    May 7, 2001
    Messages:
    1,342
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi Chris:

    I thought the v.4 upgrade was about $400 US, so your quoted price would be in line. Check with Canadian Sound in Brampton (ask for Don Bell), they are a Lex dealer and know their stuff. I bought my MC-1 from Brack (don't believe they carry Lex any longer), already equipped with v.4. Did you just pick up the unit...?

    Herb.
     
  3. Christopher Lyn

    Christopher Lyn Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2002
    Messages:
    124
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi Herb...I got my unit in December 2000 off of ebay. I called Lex and they told me that the unit has not been used for an upgrade yet, so if I decide to upgrade with a trade-in I still have that option when/if it becomes available.

    The person that I bought it from said that he could get the upgrade for me at $250.00 (U.S.)
     
  4. Herb Kane

    Herb Kane Screenwriter

    Joined:
    May 7, 2001
    Messages:
    1,342
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi Chris:

    I'm facing the same dilema with respect to upgrading the MC-1. Since our units are eligible for the upgrade to the new unit due out later this year or early next, I think (at least sometimes) we'd be crazy not to upgrade in light of what we will be offered for our units. Problem is, I'm still tickled pink with the MC-1 and I keep wondering if my "upgrade slush fund" wouldn't be better served focusing elsewhere in the theater. On the flipside, I wonder what our units will be worth if we don't do the upgrade.... Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens when it is finally released and see what we are offered and what the difference in price will be.

    In your case, I think I'd still go the v.4 route as you'll be compensated (not sure on the percentage) for at least having the up to date version on the unit.

    Herb.
     

Share This Page