What's new

Less than 2 years jail time for this??!! (1 Viewer)

GARY C

Second Unit
Yeah, welcome to Canada.

We're even nice to our criminals.

I remember reading an article awhile back on Canadian law that said Judges and Lawyers here view jail time as the last likely thing they want to achieve in a case. They prefer to exhaust every other means first (community service, parole, etc.).

You end up getting a lot of those types of stories here in the papers.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
That's the kind of person who deserves to lose his driving license permanently, as in: walk or rise a bicycle the rest of your miserable life.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Hit and Ran a cop? If canadian prisons are set-up anything like American prisons, you can be sure they will find a way to make him very accidentily dead within 48 months.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I usually hate when people do this in a thread like this one but.....it was an accident. He was young and scared after doing something truly stupid which ultimately led to a man's death so he ran, which IMO should definitely get him a longer sentence, but he didn't premeditate the death yet some of you are actually saying that he deserves to die?

He absolutely deserves to be punished but come on.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Accident??

I don't know....over 130 km/h (that's over 75 mph) on a city street?? That's really asking for it.

While I don't think the guy should die for it, he should be getting a sentence much longer than 2 years.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Yes I agree, he truly deserves a longer sentence, not only for drag racing that fast on a city street and hitting someone (which BTW has actually happened here in St. Louis at higher speeds than that!) But IMO he really deserves it for running from the scene...not smart.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Young and stupid is not a defense.

That said, my personal beliefs reserve the death penalty for premeditated murder, only.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I agree that street racing at high speed and killing someone is hardly an accident. Should carry a sentence for a manslaughter type offense.

Magnus_M

Stunt Coordinator
8-10 years (at least) would be more suitable.

The criminal negligence showed by the driver is (in my book) on par with committing a premeditated murder, he knew the risk as he got in the car.

Only drunk drivers are worse than these "joyriders", playing russian roulette with other peoples lives is so wrong I can't find words to describe it.

With any luck these types will kill themselves driving before they do some real damage.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
surprisingly, i'm with kevin on this one.

yes, this was reckless and stupid, but the kid certainly didn't mean for it to happen. i'm quite sure he didn't get behind the wheel and think, "gee, i'm gonna kill an officer today."

yes, he deserves jail time, some serious jail time, but he certainly doesn't deserve to die.

i'd be surprised if all of you haven't done something just as reckless. that's why they're called accidents.

maybe i'm being sympathetic though. i've done some *very* stupid things in my youth -- i was just lucky and never caught.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Kids are allowed to get away with the "young and stupid" and "accident" excuses far too often. The fact that no one is willing to clamp down just leads to increasing levels of such stupidity and more injuries, more property damage, and more deaths of innocent bystanders. 75 MPH down a city street is not accident. It's a conscious choice for which he should be held responsible for the consequences.

A similar case here, hit-and-run which killed a State Trooper, just resulted in a sentence of 26 to 33 years in prison.

We also had an incident here yesterday of young kids drag racing. Fortunately, so far, the only person to be killed in this incident is the 17 year-old driver himself, though his 15 year-old passenger remains in critical condition with head injuries.

Such idiocy should not be allowed to further pollute the gene pool. Nuke him.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Merely an accident?

A kid, an inexperienced driver with no intent other than to get a gallon of milk, driving at or near the stated speed limit, accidentally runs a red light and smashes into oncoming traffic. This scenario...yes, an accident.

Here, a kid who knew the perils of street racing, gets into his weapon and recklessly ploughs into a cop. Liken it to shooting a 30.06 Remington into a crowd...really, really didn't mean to kill anyone, but lo and behold!

This was no accident and should have been treated accordingly.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Two years? Are you kidding me?

Our judicial system needs a serious overhaul.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Look, my definition of "accident" is something that wasn't intended, anything that isn't an accident would be intentional but I don't think anyone here is suggesting that the kid got behind the wheel with the intent of mowing down people therefore it was indeed an accident...an accident that his reckless stupid behavior caused to happen and IMO deserves a lot more than just two years.

We can argue the meaning of the word accident all day but my original point was that the kid didn't deserve to Die for something that he didn't mean or in all likelihood want to happen.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
ScottL,

Here is the actual quote. The other racer was not the police officer but had a slightly similar looking last name. The cop was in his cruiser.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Scott L, Jimmy Ng was the name of the officer, and RCMP Const. was his title. Const. shouldn't have been abb., b/c it thru me off 2. :)

Now do you understand?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks