What's new

LCD monitor recommendations (1 Viewer)

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
Anyone use an LCD monitor, either digital or analog, they are particularly happy with? I'm considering taking the LCD plunge, but have not really found any compelling reviews or recommendations pointing to one particular model or brand. I'm so confused. :confused:

Craig Chatterton

Stunt Coordinator
My work gave me two NEC MultiSync LCD 1830's and I love them. About 18in diagonal. They REALLY like high resolutions and can display them well. I was at 1280x1024 for a while, but my old eyes couldn't handle the strain, so I'm at 1024x768 with large fonts. That setting is actually very easy to see and read. After I went down to that setting, the monitor started complaining it wasn't high enough! (It would display a box saying something about "This monitor's optimal resolution is 1280x1024"). Fortunately you can tell it to stop complaining in the built in menus.
You can use the monitor menus to adjust focus, width, height, etc. Unfortunately, we have some crappy ATI cards in our NT machines and they don't work very well with the monitor menu. You have to use ATI's monitor controls - but after tweaking with it for a while, we got it set up good enough.
The other one is set up on my 2000 machine and that was a no-brainer. Windows 2000 recognized the monitor and set up the screen to optimal resolution itself. I only had to make some minor adjustments.
The monitor comes with some software that lets you select your "zoom" level, basically the same thing as setting large fonts and icons. I played with it for a day or two, but I don't use it anymore.
The plugs hide nicely inside the base so nothing is hanging out the back except two cords. One minor quibble - the power button is on the lower right corner so when I turn it off I always nudge the monitor to the right and have to correct it every morning. But that's hardly worth mentioning - I just wanted to be able to say at least *one* thing bad about them. :)
Mysimon.com shows they're selling for about $750. I'm thinking of buying my own next year for my home PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks