What's new

Last Comic Standing 2004 ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
John Heffron must have been living in my house. I never laughed so hard. Everything he said about the stuff on the steps to the garbage by the door is spot on. Even my wife was dying from it. He nailed it tonight.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I didn't find John funny at all. I thought all three had their weakest acts all season.

~T

DavidGT

Stunt Coordinator
quote:I didn't find John funny at all. I thought all three had their weakest acts all season.

Yeah you're right, the crowd gave him a standing ovation because they like his hair.

John is the winner it's so obvious, like it or not. Gary is awesome, hope he wins but it will be an upset over John.

Alonzo had the weakest act. Homeboy choked.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Unfortunately didn't see Heffron but out of Gary and Alonzo, Gary has a much weaker performance. He only had a few moments but majority of his acts were not funny. Alonzo on the other hand was quite good.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Since the first show, I thought it was John's title to lose. But on the past few shows, Alonzo has been coming on really strong. After last week, I considered it a horse race between Alonzo and John. Alonzo's set last week was hands down the funniest set this season.

So I was surprised at how weak he was last night. A couple of laughs, but way too material about a dog watching him have sex. And the shopping with women bit went too long for just one laugh (on how to get out of holding a woman's purse). Maybe he burned through his "A" material already.

Then Gary came on, and although I like Gary, his best set was during the initial auditions. Enough about cookies. Way too weak for the stakes involved.

At this point, I realized that all John had to do to take it all was to put together a solid set with a dozen laughs. Considering how weak Alonzo and Gary were, it didn't have to be a home run.

Now, I know that this man vs. wife stuff is on the hackneyed side. But the delivery was spot on and even though this could have been lifted from Ray Romano's set, it was funnier that the other two comedians combined. Would I have liked to have seen an original voice win this competition? Of course. I wanted Bonnie to win, but it was not to be -- this is about appealing to the lowest common denominator. Although that's was John did, I was surprised that, for pandering, it was pretty damn funny. The kind of set that leads to a development deal for a sitcom about -- get this -- a married couple. Maybe Jay can play the wacky neighbor.

I think of the three, Alonzo had the more distinctive voice, but I think John is a shoo-in.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
quote:Yeah you're right, the crowd gave him a standing ovation because they like his hair.

Ummm, what does that have to do with anything I said?

~T

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
My three favorite comics in the house made it to the final three. I am very happy.

I actually liked all three sets. Overall, I think Alonzon has the most pure talent, but Heffron's energy and charm makes him a tough competitor. I give Gary credit for beating two people and, though corny, I loved the Newton bit.

There will be no Dat Phan this year. Speaking of which, it looks like he and and Ralphie Mae will be performing tomorrow.

Oh, and the funniest comic last night? Jim Norton.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I agree wholeheartedly... Norton is a great great comedian... He could be up there with Carlin in regards of "in-your-face" comedy. As long as someone like Ralphie May does not win the competition, I would of taken Jay "uggh" London as the winner.

Speaking of Tough Crowd, Ralphie was on the show last night and b-o-m-b-e-d. Norton and Rich Vos need to have a tour.

Ryan

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
quote:You said John wasn't funny at all, then why did they give him a standing ovation?

It doesn't matter if the audience gave him a standing ovation (they gave Grandma Lee a standing ovation when she came out for no apparent reason), I still didn't find him funny. If the audience did, so be it.

I agree that Norton was the funniest last night.

~T

Jake Gove

Second Unit
I am rooting for John Heffron. Does anyone else think that Jay Mohr is the worst host ever? He is so non-funny.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
No, I like Jay.

I am also rooting for Heff. He is my favorite.

But I do like all three, and I think any of them would be deserving of the title. Unlike last year.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
And Heffron is the winner!

I'm quite happy, because I have always liked John Heffron, and it's great that he's getting some well-deserved recognition. Gary and Alonzo were both good also.

On the show that aired tonight, Dat Phan did some standup. Can anyone guess how many times I laughed? If you said zero, then you are totally correct.
biggrin.gif

Anyways, I'm really excited for Last Comic Standing 3, which starts at the end of the month. GO DAVE MORDAL!!!

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Heffron reminds me a lot of Dat Phan: they're both relatable, they have a lot of energy, and they're random in telling the jokes.

It seems like Ralphie lost some weight and has a lot of sagging skin. He wasn't that funny, and I've seen the jokes about the hood done several times now on TV.

Dat had a lot more new material, but I found a few to be funny.

~T

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
quote:Heffron reminds me a lot of Dat Phan: they're both relatable, they have a lot of energy, and they're random in telling the jokes. Sure, in that context they are similiar, but they are polar opposites in just about everything else. John doesn't repeat his jokes often, Dat does. John is very funny, Dat isn't. John's jokes are on a huge variety of subjects, Dat's aren't. I could go on forever about how different they are.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I think practically, in terms of industry recognition, it doesn't really matter who wins. Dat Phan won, but nothing's going to come of his career. NBC is giving him the opportunity to milk LCS with this new season, but minor movie roles are nothing. Maybe he'll be able to sell out small clubs to LCS fanatics or something.

While I liked all three finalists and am glad for Heffron, Bodon is the one who'll walk away with the most industry respect. It's no coincidence the winner and runner up from last year voted for him.

Ralphie Mae was on Tough Crowd this week and said he lost 180 lbs. I didn't find him funny at all last night.

I am dissappointed that the third LCS will be with the old comics instead of hunting for new ones. Then again, if LCS3 is during the fall and LCS4 is in the summer with new people it doesn't matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks