What's new

Last Comic Standing 2004 ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Well, we all knew it was only a matter of time, but Jay London lost to Gary and was sent home.

I knew he wasn't the funniest, but I was rooting for him to last a little longer.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't stand him. I was worried when the audience reaction for Guy was much more subdued but I guess Jay's laughs were pity laughs.

Guy wins challenges based on form. His routines are classic style, and I like that.

That said, I didn't think his stuff this week was as strong as the stuff he used against Ant.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
I just now checked out this thread after seeing a few of the episodes.

I guess this is how Gulman wins 2 straight head-to-heads without being humorous.

I figured after Gulman beat Ant (who was a jerk, but who I thought was funnier than Gulman by far) that it was just a drugged audience. But after Gulman beat London, I figured it has to be more of a popularity contest than a contest of which comedian is funnier.

Oh well, at least it was a good premise, and not wanting to watch it again will free up time for quality viewing.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
As much as I love Jay London and his style, Gulman had the better set with a continuous string of jokes and from what we can tell (never know what they do in editing) plenty of laughs. London had too many dead spots (but picked up great at the end) and he used the 'repeat the joke' pimp too many times last night. Both wins by Gulman weren't close calls either, he won by a pretty large % of the vote.

Seeing him come back into the house will probably turn a few of the other comedian's heads.

Hopefully we'll see Jay show up on a few shows.

Brian_H

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, a bunch of people don't find Gary funny. I think he's hillarious. He was great against Ant (who, incidently used a bunch in his set that I had seen him use over a year ago. At least he didn't ask everyone to guess his accent for the thousandth time) and, unlike a lot of the other comics, pulled a completely different set out. He could've played it safe and used the same material that he used to drop Ant, but he switched it up.

I like Jay and I'm sorry to see him go, but Gary was funnier, IMO. Gary obviously didn't want to send Jay home (he didn't challenge him) and seemed upset that his winning meant Jay losing.

There are still some good comics in the house so it's anybody's guess. I think Tammy's the weakest, but depending on who she eventually goes up against and the audience that night, things could go either way.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Same here. I prefer his style of observational comedy. I thought the bit about "The Pill" was hilarious, and the moment he compared it to a pill to cure Polio, I laughed ;)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I don't see how Gary's manager could have made the audience vote for him. That's absurd.

Gary won, TWICE, fair and square. He's not my favorite comic by far (material is too safe for my tastes), but he beat too comics in a row, and is arguable the most "deserving" comic and commands a lot of respect, also for surving Ant's stupid wanna-be Machiavellian alliance.

The only comic left who I both don't like and, IMO, isn't that funny is Tammy. What was that nonsense about "are there any real men, here?" What's her freakin' problem? Maybe she gets it from her uncles, the "two little Joe Pescis," as she reminds us everytime she picks up a mic.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
I don't think it matters who the audience votes for any more than it mattered who the celebrity judges voted for. I think the audience vote is just for show, when in fact the producer's are selecting every winner in order to script their drama posing as a contest.

NolanJ

Second Unit
I don't think this season is anywhere near as good as the first season, mostly because I don't find any of the comedians all that funny... I thought Todd was the funniest and he's gone.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I think most have pretty funny material when they are on stage, but the inhouse antics aren't like they were last year. No bubble baths, no 'hide 'n go not seek.'

I just hope Heffron wins. :D

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Coming down to the finals. Anybody else still watching?
On other message boards (maybe this one too) people have said that they don't understand why Kathleen was still on the show or even got into the house. I hope that last night she showed people why. In my opinion, she had the second or third best set last night behind only Alonzo and maybe Heffron. I used my nine votes (3 by phone, 3 by text, 3 online) to vote Alonzo:4 Kathleen:3 Heffron:2. Alonzo is still my favorite to win and I think that Heffron's pretty popular so I think it'll be those two and either Jay, Gary or Kathleen. I don't think many people care for Tammy.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Last nights performance, I would say Alonzo and Heffron were the clear winners. Followed by Kathleen who started slow but that fish story was hilarious. Tammy had her moments but Jay just doesn't make me laugh. I didn't catch Gary on the whole set but he didn't seem funny at all last night.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I, for one, do not care for Tammy. But even she isn't that bad, just a bit repetitive and, like Ant and Dat Phan, relies too much on narrow stereotypes. None of the remaining comics are any worse, so it's a nice final group.

Poor Bonnie was the first one kicked out of the house and the least popular on Tuesday. I like what she does, she just needs to strengthen the actual material.

Alonzo is fantastic. Not just clever, but can bring the energy. I think all his sets were different in feel, which displays his versatility. While I like Jay London a lot, obviously versatility wasn't his strong point.

He and Heffron are the most refreshing talents.

Madigan is a someone I've been familiar with for a long time. She's good, but has her less-than-stellar moments. Good for her that she had an on set.

Gary, if not the most brilliant comic in the group, has won my respect. Just beating TWO other comics in the head-to-head makes him deserving, and Tuesday's set was very strong.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
It was hard. All the comics had their A-game on last night. Their is no one that doesn't deserve it like Dat Phan last year. I would love to see a show that had all of the guys on it. Like a comedian said before. He could see Heffron & Alonzo being great sitcom writers.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I thought Heffron was a little off last night, and I was kind of pulling for him as a fellow Michigander. My three favorites were Gary, Alonzo, and Kathleen.

Regards,

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
The only one I saw in entirety was Alonzo--damned severe weather warnings!!!

Based on prior shows, I would pick Alonzo, Heffron, and Gary.

I would love to see a makeover show with Jay London.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Alonzo has been the best so far.

I liked Heffron at first, but after his last two or three acts, my opinion of him has gone downhill.

I don't care for Tammy or Kathleen.

Jay is lovable and has some very funny lines.

Gary is probably the second best, although his act last night was his worst.

~T

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Anyone still watching?

Alonzo, John, and Gary made it to the finals, as I expected. Alonzo is my favorite, but I think there is a good chance Gary could win it.

Did anyone see the commercial for what I think was Last Comic Standing 3? They are going to have last season's comics compete against this season's.

~T

RyanAn

Screenwriter
And my little brother was "God Bless This House Man!" - For once the three people I liked the most made it! John is my pick to win, but I would not feel bad if Alonzo won either.

Ryan

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Anybody else see Buck Starr in the front row on Thursdays show? I was waiting for another episode of "The Buck Starr Show"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks