What's new

Last Comic Standing 2004 ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Brian_H

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I hope to get to see him soon as he was one of my favorites from last season, along with Dave.

Vos is supposed to be performing in Atlantic City the last week in July, so I'm hoping to take a long weekend, do some gambling and check out the show.

Brian_H

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I hope to get to see him soon as he was one of my favorites from last season, along with Dave.

Vos is supposed to be performing in Atlantic City the last week in July, so I'm hoping to take a long weekend, do some gambling and check out the show.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, except with the last 5, TV viewers vote, and they still picked Dat Phan (who, like Ant, just repeats the same jokes about his minority group).

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, except with the last 5, TV viewers vote, and they still picked Dat Phan (who, like Ant, just repeats the same jokes about his minority group).

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Wow no posts yet on last nights show.

So Todd Glass takes the dive against Tammy. Not by much though, 54% vs 46%.

It was pretty funny how Ant swept the bus tour gig. Guess he is good at BS'n. Effron had the best line though when they talked after. "There's no tunnel". Just how he said it was great. :laugh:

There's just too much drama and not enough fun/crazy antics in the house. Glass provided some, but not many played along and his just became obnoxious.

I wonder why they aren't letting the other comics come and watch the head to head this year. They are doing it like the Apprentice and having the shock of who made it with only one returning. I liked it better when you could see the expressions on the other comics faces while they watched each other perform infront of a good croud.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
I thought that Todd's set was pretty strong (he seems to have a lot of material to draw on) but towards the end he seemed to just be spouting out random jokes, some of which weren't that good. I liked his 'bad acting' and the infomercial for the knives he did last night. That Fred-Flinstone-lookin wisecracker will be missed.

DavidGT

Stunt Coordinator
2 THINGS:

Cory should have decked Ant in the van.

Tammy is very sexy and sassy. She could easily make a nice living as a vivid girl.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I thought both people were pretty even, but Todd wasn't being funny towards the end of his act, and I think that is what cost him.

~T

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Ant was SUPER lucky to get immunity, as he would've probably been the next person off the show. I agree entirely with Kathleen Madigan, who is sort of now the oldest and wisest of the group, that they didn't sign up for The Real World. Here's a question just to get a bit more discussion going: If you were to get a collective group of the best comedians today for the show, who would you want in the house? My house would be a weird assortment of Dave Chappelle, Brian Regan, Carlos Mencia, Jim Gaffigan, Dane Cook, Eddie Izzard, Kathleen Madigan, and a few random others.

NolanJ

Second Unit
I don't like ANT, and am glad to see him go.

I think his misplaced comedic attack on Bush is the reason for his dismissal, and the only reason I say that is because I thought his set was funnier.

BobV

Second Unit
I didn't think any of Ant's set was funny at all... I think there were actually crickets chirping in my living room while I was listening to him.

Gary's bits about the Oreo's had me chuckling.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
So long Ant. You won't be missed. You were mean, manipulative and you weren't funny.

That's how roasts are. They're supposed to be playful jabs at people you like (which is why the friars roast of Chevy Chase, by a bunch of young comedians that hated him rather than fellow SNL alums, was a disaster). I did felt sorry for him when Ant was trying to manipulate him though. Jay had one of the best lines last night "I went out with a female impressionist. She does everybody.":D
Ant said that he's not the head of the alliance. If Tammy is, I don't think the rest of the house have to worry about much.
Right now I'd like Alonzo, Heffron or Jay to win it.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
One thing about the alliances. Unlike shows like Survivor just because an alliance gangs up on you. Doesn't mean you are automatically booted. If you are a good comedian and confident in your talent. You wouldn't care if they picked you every week. Because in the end if you are not funny. You will lose in a head to head eventually.

Brian_H

Stunt Coordinator
Agreed. I commented to my wife after the show how great it will be to see the reaction when Gary walks thru the door next week.

Who exactly is in the alliance, now that Ant is gone? Is it Tammy, Kathleen, Alonzo, with Jay as kind of a swing vote, or is he for sure in?

With Ant being gone and John, Corey, and Gary not being part of the alliance, things could get interesting, especially since they all seem to vote the same way.

DavidGT

Stunt Coordinator
I was very proud of Gary for what he went through and how he had to deal with that good for nothing crazy ass ant.
It’s not easy when they got stupid backstabber that screw up the whole environment and make people uneasy and do things they normally would not do…like John Heffron who felt like a sleazeball after what he did to Bonnie. Thumbs up Gary!

That bit about the mad scientist laugh by ant was totally hilarious {that laugh can't be sincere...Gary} ha ha ha :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Finally caught up on this.

No, 'cause he got immunity. :)

I will agree with Phyllis Diller: Alonzo is a great writer. His material is so strong. That's not to knock his delivery, which is fine, but I think he can have a great future as a writer, and I say this as the highest compliment.

Which reminds me of these "pilots" people talk about- I don't know if that's the right way to look at it. The winner gets a talent contract with NBC, that's it. I would think it's just then up to NBC to figure out how to use that talent. In Dat Phan's case, they don't know where to put him (neither would I).

I also celebrated Ant's booting. His airplane crash bit was a good idea but took way too long to set-up. Gary's set wasn't much better, but this was the first time I was rooting for a comic based purely on personality, not talent.

Tammy's set was better than her previous ones, but I just don't think she's funny, and I though I would, 'cause I grew up in Brooklyn. I miss Todd Glass, and his set was, IMO, much better. The rambling bathroom product jokes were reminiscent of Robin Williams 25 years ago (when he was actually funny).

4 comics remain that I like, and 3 could be used well by NBC should they win:
Cory- could star in a WB-like vehicle
Alanzo- writer
Effron- sitcom material
Jay- he's great, but I have no idea what NBC could do with him.
I do think Jay London is a safe bet for the final five. He got picked to be roasted because the other comics do genuinely like him- or, rather, none dislike him. He's the only who has not created any enmity or discord in the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks