What's new

Last Comic Standing 2004 ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Brian_H

Stunt Coordinator
I couldn't stop laughing when she pulled out the c-word joke, but the rest of her set was nothing special.

I'm pretty upset that Monty didn't make it, as both my wife and I have found him consistently funny and, unlike most of the contestants, he rarely re-uses the same material from show to show (although he used the 'operation' bit before). I know they edit each comic's set for time but I take that to mean that they're picking what they think are the funniest bits, and it gets old hearing the same thing over and over again. Monty is also very quick in his replying to judges questions, and most of the time the stuff he says is just as good as what's in his act.

But, the biggest disappointment is that Ant made it through. I just don't get it. Ever since last season whe Joe Rogan busted him for using a joke that was in the movie Boiler Room, he's put me off. But that's not my biggest problem with his act. We get it, Ant, you're gay. More power to you and I'm glad that you're doing well for yourself in the business. However, I can't remember a single joke that he's told that doesn't involve the fact that he's gay. IMO a good comedian should be able to discuss a vast number of topics and make the audience laugh. It's one of the reasons I didn't find Dat funny last season. Change it up a little would ya?

Tonight's show should be pretty good. I'm just hoping we get to see a good group of people all ending up in the house, since the majority of the time we're not seeing stand-up and they need to be naturally funny. We need another situation that's as entertaining as the Rich Vos and Dave Mordal friendship from last season. And as mean as it sounds I hope they find someone that they pick on relentlessly, like they did with Dat.

Brian_H

Stunt Coordinator
I couldn't stop laughing when she pulled out the c-word joke, but the rest of her set was nothing special.

I'm pretty upset that Monty didn't make it, as both my wife and I have found him consistently funny and, unlike most of the contestants, he rarely re-uses the same material from show to show (although he used the 'operation' bit before). I know they edit each comic's set for time but I take that to mean that they're picking what they think are the funniest bits, and it gets old hearing the same thing over and over again. Monty is also very quick in his replying to judges questions, and most of the time the stuff he says is just as good as what's in his act.

But, the biggest disappointment is that Ant made it through. I just don't get it. Ever since last season whe Joe Rogan busted him for using a joke that was in the movie Boiler Room, he's put me off. But that's not my biggest problem with his act. We get it, Ant, you're gay. More power to you and I'm glad that you're doing well for yourself in the business. However, I can't remember a single joke that he's told that doesn't involve the fact that he's gay. IMO a good comedian should be able to discuss a vast number of topics and make the audience laugh. It's one of the reasons I didn't find Dat funny last season. Change it up a little would ya?

Tonight's show should be pretty good. I'm just hoping we get to see a good group of people all ending up in the house, since the majority of the time we're not seeing stand-up and they need to be naturally funny. We need another situation that's as entertaining as the Rich Vos and Dave Mordal friendship from last season. And as mean as it sounds I hope they find someone that they pick on relentlessly, like they did with Dat.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member

What's really screwed up is one of the co-stars on Chapelle's Show didn't make it, either. The guy who plays Ashy Larry. Hell, he hardly got any screentime. I only saw him once or twice because he was standing behind one of the kids the cameras were trying to pull that "Special interest" shit on.

That Pablo Francisco didn't make it is a shame. I knew I wasn't going to watch too much of this when I heard about the Drew Carey/Brett Butler thing--but then watching Ant advance, watching Kathleen Madigan and Sue Costello get their shots (You two have already HAD YOUR CAREERS) and watching Pablo and Ashy Larry get sent packing--too many good comics who deserve the spotlight more got booted.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member

What's really screwed up is one of the co-stars on Chapelle's Show didn't make it, either. The guy who plays Ashy Larry. Hell, he hardly got any screentime. I only saw him once or twice because he was standing behind one of the kids the cameras were trying to pull that "Special interest" shit on.

That Pablo Francisco didn't make it is a shame. I knew I wasn't going to watch too much of this when I heard about the Drew Carey/Brett Butler thing--but then watching Ant advance, watching Kathleen Madigan and Sue Costello get their shots (You two have already HAD YOUR CAREERS) and watching Pablo and Ashy Larry get sent packing--too many good comics who deserve the spotlight more got booted.

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
Monty Hoffman was on a sitcom with Drew Carey in the early 90s, it was funny as hell but alas did not make it. I think it was called the good life, the lead comedian has not done much lately but I always liked his stuff.

one other guy (I forget his name now) was always on that Colin Quinn show.

It must have been weird for Coling to have to vote on him and then for Drew to vote on Monty, although apparently their votes did not matter anyhow.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
You know, last year might have been rigged too, but at least they made it seem like struggling Comedians were given a chance. None of them ever had talent contracts with a network before - or at least that we had heard about. Everything seemed fair - until Dat Phan was crowned the last coming standing.

But when I saw Jim Norton on the show, I was stunned. I see him almost every night on Tough Crowd, and yet here he is trying to get the easy route to success. No offence to Jim, because I think he's funny on Tough Crowd, but that's about a much of him as I could tolerate. As a comedian he's a one note act, he's the smart ass sidekick, not the leading man of a sitcom. Then you add into the mix Sue Costello, and all this crap I'm reading that people like Todd Glass having their agent’s book special meetings with NBC producers. Frankly it's stupid that NBC would want to waste their time dealing with someone like Sue who couldn't create a funny sitcom the first time around.

Now, I'm not stupid enough to believe that these reality shows are in fact reality. However, Survivor never claimed that it's winners where the greatest Survivors of all time. What bothers me is every time Jay Mohr claims that their final 10 choices are the funniest people in America. Essentially their firmly stating to the public that a hack like Ant is funnier then Pablo or the many others who were passed in favor of the current group. Pablo was one of the funniest, if not THE funniest guy this year; Drew Carey knew it and Brett Butler knew it and the audience who gave Pablo a standing ovation after his set knew it also. (I don't know if anyone noticed how the producers cut around that, but couldn't completely hide the audience reaction in the shot of him going back stage). And how stupid is it that the producers even bothered showing the whole out burst by the celebrity "judges", that pretty much exposed the whole selection process as a sham!?

Apparently there is a lot of dirty planning going on behind the scenes, Aint It Cool News has a nice list of fun facts the audience is not supposed to know. Frankly I will not watch this show anymore, and I can only hope this whole experience doesn't deter Pablo from doing comedy - because frankly he was one of the few people who actually deserved this shot at fame.

Sorry for my rant.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
God did Peter Engle ever look like a smarmy used car salesman trying to convice us the "the car didn't have that problem when it left the lot" :thumbsdown:

I would not be shocked at all to see either Ant or Gary Guzman win the whole thing. Barry Katz's whole "I recused myself" is so laughable. Whether or not he voted is inconsequential, but he cannot lie and say he did not have some influence over the other "producers" decisions.

I'd love to see another station grab ahold and blow the lid off of this "talent" competition, but it will never happen. I'll still watch, but only to see the real talent (Alonzo Bodden, Jay London, etc)

Chris

MatS

Screenwriter
you can support Pablo by purchasing his dvd/cd when it is released later this year as part of Shout Factory's Breakout Comedy Series

Corey Holcomb's came out this week

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Tonight was pretty interesting. 3 out of the 4 judges voted for none of the winners. I would understand why they were upset. They were just used as face value...

Exec: "What better way to sell an awesome show than promote it by using b-list celebrities?"

Ryan

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Glad to see some talented people advance tonight. I've like Todd Glass, Alonzo Bodden, John Heffron and Jay London since their initial auditions. Tammy's cute but I don't think her material's all that great.

Totally. I actually would have prefered him go over any of the five that made it. I guess NBC execs didn't think his shaking would make for good TV in the house.

Brian_H

Stunt Coordinator
You know, it's funny. I've already expressed my disappointment about the fact that Ant made it through and Monty didn't, and I totally agree that Dan got ripped off royally, but I think, out of the ten, there are only 2 that I'm really disappointed made it into the house.

There are some very funny people that made it, but there are some very funny (and in some cases funnier) people that are going home.

Obviously there's an element to the show that's a bit underhanded, with the producers not being up front about how those that make it through are decided, but I think two minor changes in how things were done would've made all these problems go away. Obviously there would still be people upset that their favorites didn't go through, it happens in all talent competitions, but this would at least bring things out into the open...

1. Have the producers tell Drew, Brett, etc., in no uncertain terms, before the show, that they were one part of the decision in who makes it to the house. I think the explaination that there were people that had seen the comics multiple times and were judging on that was fair. If they had only told the guest judges that beforehand, had the producers, or whoever else was involved in the decision making process out there at a table behind the guest judges, and shown the scores that the judges gave, I think things would be a little easier to swallow.

2. Run a two hour special, or 2 one hour specials, where all 20 comedians are judged against each other, not one group of ten and another group of ten. I guess it has a lot to do with aspects of television programming that I know nothing about, but how in the hell did they decide who was the first group and who was the second? It's not like one group was in New York and the other in Vegas. They were all even on location at the same time, and my guess is they probably taped them back to back. It's just an opinion, but I think the second group was a stronger group of comedians overall, even though there is some good talent in the first.

Oh well. I'll keep watching, just cause I can't get enough stand-up. It's too bad Jim Norton couldn't continue, and I feel bad for Jimmy Wiggins, making that old guy trek half way across the country in absolutely no time just to send him home. But there are still some fun people to watch here. Corey Halcomb, Alonzo Bodden, and Jay London should provide some fun entertainment, and I don't think anyone in the house is really terrible, except for Ant, and Bonnie's hit or miss.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I watched the first 15 minutes of the show last night. It was my first taste of "reality" TV and I thought it was absolutely dreadful. It might not have been that bad had they only shown the "auditions", but all that other junk completely turned me off. I think the only way I could stand such a show would be to tape it and fast forward.

Neil

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I thought Dan was the funniest for the past two weeks. I would have replaced Todd Glass and the Italian girl with Dan and the guy with the one-liners.

I think the 4 other judges didn't like him because he had no new material.

~T

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks