Laserdisc question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by bud green, Apr 24, 2005.

1. bud green

bud green Auditioning

I'm just trying to get a bit better picture on my 55" than my Pio 502 (93/94) model. I was looking at a Sony MDP series that is older but the specs include a 3-line comb filter that I do not believe the Pioneer has. Anyone know if it would be worth a try?

bg

2. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Those Sony models are virtually none of them worth getting. The signal-to-noise ratio is typically rather poor, and what is worse they tend to be mechanically unreliable. The drawers, for instance, love to jam in place. Ask Rachael-B about hers which went berzerk! The truth is, your 55" TV probably [though you did not specify what kind it is] has a better comb filter than the CLD-D502, and you would get a better picture by running composite video to the TV instead of S-Video [which I presume you are doing -- the comb filter is not used otherwise]. Of course, you could always use an external video processor, but for the price of a good one you would probably be better off buying a newer LDP. Try composite video, see if it works.