What's new

Laserdisc advice (1 Viewer)

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Dave,
That's true, but I'll take an uninterrupted movie over a cooling looking jacket any day of the week.

Mike

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
My collection are for keeps.Any of you fellas have the
Godfather Part II & III, remasterd in Dolby Digital THX certified with Bonus interviews. I missed the Godfather
I to complete my collection. Arrgggh !

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
Well, I have around 800 LD's and the collection grows all the time. I'm sure that people that have 200-300 LD's or more have some LD's that have better PQ or AQ than the DVD release.
But if you still want ot sell them, drop me a e-mail with what disc's, se, ws, etc and maybe me and my LD friends can buy you collection. :D

Corbin Stirn

Second Unit
Geez, I'm more lurker now than poster. :) I have 45+ TV boxsets on DVD, plus almost 300 DVDs. HOWEVER, I also have slightly over 1,000 laserdiscs. There's just something about those big,shiny discs!:D I'm a total MTV kid, so I rabidly collect all the music videos I grew up with(Mellencamp, Thomas Dolby, Bananarama, Twisted Sister, New wave hits, many, many more.....all the classics!)...many of which will NEVER be released on DVD. Plus, even though I have the Ultimate Toy Story box and the Fantasia Anthology, I also have the Fantasia LD box and the Toy Story LD box. The Disney laserdisc sets are a sight to behold and hold.......it just doesn't feel quite the same to have the DVD boxsets in your hands.

There are also the DTS laserdiscs, which are the Holy Grail for quite a few people out there STILL. DVD is great and has brought Home Theatre to the masses, as well as lower prices and many TV series that weren't going to see the light of day on LD. But DVD is here only BECAUSE of LD, and the muse discs were the start of progressive scan and hi-definition. DVD owes everything to LD........I do feel sad that some people don't realize how good they have it now and how much they should thank laserdisc. I'll think I'll get up off my knees now and stop fawning at the LD altar:D .

Grant, good to see you in here. How have you been? Same to you Rachael when you show up in this thread......

jeff durborow

Auditioning
Most of us who have ld's have spent a fortune on our collections. I agree that it just doesn't seem worth it after reviewing ebay and realizing the minimal amounts people are getting for the discs.
I have not watched a laserdisc in over a year, I should say since i got my front projector. I do however have the spec. edition star wars trilogy which won't be available until sept. so if i decide to watch anything it will be that. I can say on the topic of star wars that it seems the THX original editions are probably going to be a hot item since the dvd release of these will be the special editions....well I'll just have to save up for that hi-def reciver...since you guys convinced me to keep my ld collection....
thanks
jeff

Mark Tay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Folks, don't get rid of your laserdiscs. Instead dig 'em out and contribute info to the Laserdisc Database at www.lddb.com

This database is a VERY worthy project that could benefit greatly from the info found in your collection.

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
If one have many LD's and still want them the best thing to do is getting a better laserdise player. You will get a much better picture quality with sharper, more resolution, less video noise, etc.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I have over 1500 lasers and it looks like I'm going to have to get rid of the majority of them as I just don't have enough room in my apartment anymore, I don't know what else to do. It's a shame beacuse I kept all my lasers, both disc & cover in Mint condition using protective sleeves, they really are in great shape. I just won't sell them on e-bay because the effort & cost isn't worth it. I'm hoping I'll run into a serious collector who would appreciate the format & the condition I kept them in.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Jay, I could come by and take some of those off your hands on Friday...

Corbin, good to see you posting again!

I have about 500 LDs and I only replace movies I -really- love with DVD. I have a big old NTSC rear projector and a CLD-99 so they still look and sound great to me.

Ed Vandeweerd

Stunt Coordinator
I have about 100 laserdiscs in my Collection & full bitrate dts quite rightly is "The Holy Grail" I own quite a few of those. Still looking For "Blade" (dts) "Ronin" (dts) & "Titanic" (dts)

Ed

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
Just bought meself Pioneer LD player CLD3760KV(2nd hand)
as backup to my laserdisc collection.Any one owns this set
now or before. Need info & ops on this one coz it came
without the manual. Appreciate the help thanks.

Hello,

I'm the Admin of LDDB.com (Laserdisc Database).

You are more than warmly welcome to have a look at the web site and register to submit new titles/updates on existing titles to help us make it a reliable place for accurate information on the "previous generation" of Home Theater entertainment.

So many things were available for a short time on LD and will never be available again that it's worth taking the time and pain to describe each title one by one to keep a memory of them.

It's a collector's tools, and it... free! :)

Rgds,
Julien

Corbin Stirn

Second Unit
Philip, great to see you again. A lot of the LD die-hards have faded in to the woodwork here and everywhere...........Julien, it's fantastic to see that you joined up to HTF. May you get the same enjoyment,info, and friendships(though I've been slacking lately!:) )I have from this site......

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks