What's new
World Wide Stereo

Large 4:3 screens (1 Viewer)

Are there any large sets (40in and up) out there that have a 4:3 ratio

It seems like anything over 30in goes to the 16:9 format.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Jon, the Sony KV-40XBR800 is, currently, the largest direct-view set available in the U.S. market, and it's a 4:3. Even in its 16:9 mode, the picture area is larger than all but one native 16:9 direct-view set (the 38-inch Loewe Aconda). Then there's a slew of 36-inch 4:3 sets (nearly all with 16:9 modes).

Though highly rated (and used for reviewing purposes by one of our staff DVD reviewers), the 40-inch Sony comes at a premium in terms of sheer weight and bulk: The thing weighs 300 pounds.

All right maybe Im not making myself clear. I dont want a 16:9 native set that does 4:3. I just want a 4:3 set

And it doesnt have to be CRT...LCD, DLP, rear projection anything.

I just dont want to see black or grey bars going down the side

brentl

Senior HTF Member
You didn't mention if you had an aversion to front projection!

If not, I'd take home an X1 from Bb and decide if that's what you like.

Currently I'm running from a Benq PB6100 4 by 3 projector to an 85" diagonal screen, looks pretty good, but it's maximized so the image isn't perfect.

Brent

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Last time I was at CC, they seemed to have several 4:3 RP sets on display.

Sears might have some as well, since then tend not to favor the cutting edge.

You may find that stores in lower middle-class areas have more of this type of set on display.

If you go to a store in a higher income area, they tend to display more 16x9 sets.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

You misunderstood Jack. The set is 4:3 but has a 16:9 mode (i.e. anamorphic squeeze).

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All right maybe Im not making myself clear. I dont want a 16:9 native set that does 4:3. I just want a 4:3 set
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You misunderstood Jack. The set is 4:3 but has a 16:9 mode (i.e. anamorphic squeeze).

Your right. I apologize, it just seems like all those set seem like they are those 16:9 rectangles so I assumed they were 16:9 native.

Anyway thanks for the help all

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks