What's new

LAND OF THE GIANTS! - Where Are You? (1 Viewer)

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

When are they going to remaster Lost in Space? Those transfers looked as bad as Soap.

At least the Land of the Giants boxset is packed with amazing weird bonus stuff. Think of how much A&E wanted for the Emma Peel Avengers when they were released.

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JOE
Hey Randy and Jeff, hope you enjoy your sets too. I am no DVD expert, don't even know what a Flipper is (except for the old porpoise TV show) - but the unaired pilot looked great to me, the colors are crisp and clear, bold and bright. You could see the beads of sweat on the Captain's and Co-Pilot's faces, and the 2 women never looked more beautiful. The only thing I noticed different in the unaired pilot was that they played a lot of LOST IN SPACE music (I like the GIANTS music and theme song). But I haven't seen the aired pilot in years so I will have to watch that one too to compare. FYI, the miniature comic book replica of the original is very impressive, my favorite feature in the extras - the pages are crisp and clear.

Duane Alford

Second Unit
I just picked up mine at a Best Buy here in Dallas. Get it open and find the DVD covers look to be crammed in the slots as they're really bent. And several were open with one had a dislodged disc sticking out. And yep, it was all scrathed up. I have a feeling I'll have to take it back which'll mean I might be stuck with it until I get home to Miami in 2 weeks.

:angry:

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

And that my friends is what you get for your $200, or $160 on release week. The big reason i didnt buy this...its not the money. Its the high price for the half assed discs. I know the episodes would look good. But are pristine discs to much to ask for?

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JOE
Watched the first two episodes tonight, the original aired pilot (The Crash) and Ghost Town, both episodes looked and sounded great. Now that I can compare the 2 pilots, I noticed a lot of extra footage in the unaired pilot before the actual crash of the Spindrift, especially Betty's interactions with the passengers, details such as Betty noticing Valerie on the cover of a magazine, a longer confrontation with Mr. Fitzugh over his briefcase and with Mark over not wearing his seatbelt, etc. And a scene with Barry which appeared in a later sequence in the aired pilot. I guess these scenes were cut or shortened to get to the crash and the action quicker.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Really want the series on DVD, but cost aside (and very high indeed!) the set is big and bulky and I'm running out of room! If "That 70's Show" can fit 4 discs in to a thin box (in the slim cases) then "Land of the Giants" can be to. I guess I'll have to wait for the regular release - which I hope isn't years away.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Anyone think that these will eventually be rereleased in 1/2 season standard releases?

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
I finally received my set in the mail today. No scratched discs - the whole thing was in great shape. I do dislike two-disc thin cases, though, when discs are double-sided like this - the discs can touch each other in the case if not careful. I put a tissue in each case to prevent the discs from touching each other (I did this with the original OUTER LIMITS sets as well). Overall, I like the look of the set and the wooden box definitely cost a bit to produce - I'm sure that's where a good portion of the retail price is going towards.

I was planning on only watching the pilot today to refresh my memory of the show. I can't believe how well I remember many of the sequences in that first episode. I then continued on to episode 2 which I also recall seeing on original broadcast. Hooked, I continued on to episode 3. Didn't really remember that one much. Out of the first 3, I think I like the second episode ("Ghost Town") the best so far. I was afraid the show would be dreadfully dull and hokey, and was happy to find the episodes fun and engaging at least to some degree. Yes, some of it is definitely hokey and laughable, but that all just adds to the fun. I think I'm in for a long marathon session here and loving it.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Got my set. It was in perfect shape. Scanned through the discs and watched the 1st two shows and happy to report no issues with the discs and the episodes look great. I'm also happy because this still holds up as my 2nd favorite Irwin Allen show after Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. The packaging is big but its also something worth having and much better than the Ape Head or the Cylon Head. The Extras are also great. This is really a great set and well worth the money if your a fan.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

I don't have any inside info. but now that they are done with all the shows except for the rest of VTTBOTS, I expect that they will release a remastered Lost in Space next year.

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JOE
Finished watching the first 6 episodes on Disc #1 (4 on the front, 2 on the back) - All of them played fine and smooth. My favorite episode on the first disc is "The Flight Plan". Hope Randy is right about LOST IN SPACE, would be great to see a remastered edition of those episodes.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
I took advantage advantage of an auction by someone that only wanted the wood box and trinkets and not the DVD's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9911&rd=1&rd=1

Got the DVD's today and for $72.00 with the shipping.

Although I would've liked to see the reprint comic book and booklet(hope someday I'll get the opportunity), getting what I mainly wanted for $100 less could not be passed up.

I'll be discovering most of these shows for the first time (like Voyage To The Bottom of the Sea) know I will like them.

I'm just in the midst of sending mine back for a replacement set. Couldn't get disk one to play the episode "Framed".

Oh well, here's to better luck

Jim

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Good luck with those. I never get a freeze-up on a flipper but I have had plenty with Netflix with the 301 scratches per disc. I think alot of Netflix renters throw the disc in a toddlers play room before they send them back :)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Mike,

This sounds like the way to go for me too. I'm not really interested in the extras, books, wooden case, etc. "Just give me the DVD's" :) I checked eBay after reading your post but I haven't seen another auction like the one you found, so far. I'm interested in this series but I can't justify the standard price for it since "Giants" wasn't my favorite Irwin Allen show. I liked it but have other sets waiting for buying at present. I know this is a "Giants" thread, but if you're liking Giants and Voyage, if you haven't tried another Irwin Allen show, check out "Time Tunnel". I.A. was quoted that TT was his personal favorite of his series. It's a 1-season'er, but a gem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks