What's new

LAND OF THE GIANTS! - Where Are You? (1 Viewer)

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
The video quality of the region 2 release is excellent. However, as Harry stated they are PAL- based, so they have been sped-up. Thus, you will need to make sure your equipment can either play PAL or convert it to NTSC.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I wouldn't count on a blu release for these. We're lucky we got the DVDs, frankly. However, I really hope they address the issues with the opening and closing music on the second season episodes. The first few have the second season graphics but the first season music. Only the DVDs had this issue, it never cropped up in syndication.

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
The video quality of the region 2 release is excellent. However, as Harry stated they are PAL- based, so they have been sped-up. Thus, you will need to make sure your equipment can either play PAL or convert it to NTSC.
Remind me, please: If it's a PAL speed-up, but my equipment plays PAL discs just fine -- will the running time of the episodes be accurate? (e.g., will an episode than runs 50 minutes and 12 seconds on a U.S. NTSC disc also run 50:12 on the PAL disc?)

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Remind me, please: If it's a PAL speed-up, but my equipment plays PAL discs just fine -- will the running time of the episodes be accurate? (e.g., will an episode than runs 50 minutes and 12 seconds on a U.S. NTSC disc also run 50:12 on the PAL disc?)
It should probably clock in at around 49 minutes

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
And usually, they not only run fast, but everything is pitched-up too, so anyone with an already high pitched voice will sound very chipmunk-y. At least it does to my ears. Can't stand it.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
And usually, they not only run fast, but everything is pitched-up too, so anyone with an already high pitched voice will sound very chipmunk-y. At least it does to my ears. Can't stand it.

why I can’t watch a lot of shows on the cable channels they speed up a lot of older shows

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
why I can’t watch a lot of shows on the cable channels they speed up a lot of older shows

In this scenario, is there a particular reason for this speedup on cable?

ie. Besides laziness and/or a way of squeezing in more advertising commercials.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
In this scenario, is there a particular reason for this speedup on cable?

ie. Besides laziness and/or a way of squeezing in more advertising commercials.
It's number 2 (on your list) all the way (more commercials).

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott

I have all four seasons of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea on PAL DVD because they came in an awesome box set and are on single sided DVDs. The first season sounds higher pitched but the color episodes are much closer to their actual pitch, even though they do run more quickly. I compared them to a few PAL video tapes I had from the 90's which sound really high, like the first season (and since Basehart had a very quick delivery in those episodes it really sounds weird). Someone told me the color episodes were pitch adjusted. No idea if it's true or not, but they don't sound as bad.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Same here - Fox's flippies can be trouble prone. It took 3 sets before I got one that played all the way through. But I'm not holding my breath since Disney now controls the Fox library. They're the absolutely worst studio when it comes to releasing TV product.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I'm happy that I bought the fancy US "cage" box set on a one-day sale, and got it for a reasonable price. The box is shoved away in a closet somewhere and the slim-line disc cases are on my shelf. So far, every time I've played an episode, I've had no problems. And that goes for not only LAND OF THE GIANTS, but VOYAGE and TIME TUNNEL as well. They all still work.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm happy that I bought the fancy US "cage" box set on a one-day sale, and got it for a reasonable price. The box is shoved away in a closet somewhere and the slim-line disc cases are on my shelf. So far, every time I've played an episode, I've had no problems. And that goes for not only LAND OF THE GIANTS, but VOYAGE and TIME TUNNEL as well. They all still work.
Count yourself lucky. I had to exchange my LOtG box due to a non-playing episode and went through 3 copies of VTTBoTS S1V1 before getting a fully playable copy. Even then, that copy now has at least one episode with issues. TT has, so far, been without issue but I've also upgraded it to the AU BR (a very good investment - it's an excellent release). I wish someone'd do the same with LOtG and VTTBoTS...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks