What's new

LAND OF THE GIANTS! - Where Are You? (1 Viewer)

Steve Meil

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
I would really like to buy this show but at $140.00 for just 2 seasons is outrageous for a 1960's show. Think mission impossible season 1 + 2 for 34.99 ea. There was 28+ 25 Episodes, thats 53 for around 70.00, half the price of the Land of the Giants sets. I also got the complete Highlander show 7 seasons 141 episodes for 179.99 just to use this as an example. I know people have been waiting for this a long time, but when the per episode cost (per hour) is over $2.00 you are being ripped off as usual by the studios.( Think Star Trek and X-Files when they first came out) I guess I will wait until the price drops to a reasonable level before I will buy

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Great point. Although Highlander was probably on sale? This is a show people have been wanting for a while. Even with that in mind it's way too high. I'm sure it'll come down in price not long after release. I'll buy it when it's closer to $100.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
Fox appear, for some reason known only to themselves, to have made this a "premium" product aimed at collectors and fans - as a complete set in special packaging, plus all sorts of extras like flight patches and stuff.

It is a complete reversal of the fairly minimalist releases of Time Tunnel and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea which are obviously aimed more to capture casual buyers by tempting them with low prices and half-season sets (to make the price-point look more attractive) whilst acknowledging that the fans are going to buy anway even though there's no fancy packaging or Seaview uniform etc!

It's possible that the previous incomplete release by Columbia House may have caused them to think that only a special edition of LOTG will cause the fans to double-dip as they are likely to have bought the previous release.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Only thing is a friend of mine who has the CH discs wont get this new one because of the DVD 18s. He has a hatred worse than mine for the things. Nine of them is a promise at least 1 will be scratched and butchered.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

These aren't DVD-18s (Fox has never issued a DVD-18 that I can recall), they're DVD-14s. There are three types of double-sided discs; 10s, 14s and 18s. 18s got a bad rap because of the defective discs coming out of the Deluxe plant in Mexico which were used for the Universal sets, and some others. DVD-14s haven't exhibited the same problems, though people still hate them because they're double-sided.

Gord

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

No I still hate them because they usually have 1 to 2 bad episodes per set. All My Voyage sets have at least one, and some have two bad episodes that will not play. As so my Big Valley Sets. So the next set of Voyage will be ordered on Netflix, where they make Fox provide them with the Shows on DVD-9, for a reason I'm guessing.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Thats true, thanks Gord. I have never had trouble with the FOX DVD 14s, other than finger prints and scratches...they play! I have the VTTBOTS sets, and they play, but i did have to make more than one exchange because of BADLY scratched discs. I think that is the thing that scares me, and my friend. For $200 you better get a MINT set of discs.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit

Not quite true, Gord. DVD-14's haven't exhibited SO MANY problems, but they have shown the same troubles that blighted the DVD-18's.

If you go and look at the Amazon Customer Reviews for the Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea sets, you will find lots of complaints about discs freezing up/pixellating/skipping! It seems that Disc Two, Side A of the first set was particularly troublesome in the episode "Village of Guilt".

Some of the customers have exchanged their sets several times before getting a n error-free set, with the usual difficult of exchanging a whole set and getting another bad disc, but a different bad disc!

It does seem that the problems are a lot less common than the ones that plagued the Universal discs, but there does seem to be a problem in making these multi-layered two siders. AFAIK the DVD-14's in these sets are made by the same company - Deluxe - that makes the DVD-18's. I am guessing there aren't many factories that can produce them.

Thankfuly the lower episode numbers from S2 onwards means there's only one DVD-14, the rest are DVD-10's.

Still wish they'd used DVD-9 though.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit

Yeah, I just looked, and the first two sets are SIX disc sets, not three.

I suspect that as Netflix only rents discs, they require the studios to provide them in a form that is more robust in handling terms. A single sided disc doesn;t tend to get covered in scratched/dirt/fingerprints so much because for one thing they are easier to handle - or should that be, harder to mishandle!

I have to say, the horrors of these 18's and 14's are the only thing that ever made me think that being able to download and burn would be a good thing. By this I mean a legal, commercial service where you pay for the stuff of course!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
All My Voyage Sets have been encoded for My Apple TV's to H264 at around a 2500 Bitrate, they look as good as the DVD's and the Disks themselves Are no put away probably never to be used again. Still I had problems trying to Rip and encode 3 episodes I had to rent on Netflix so I could get them, since I own the Disks I did'nt feel bad in doing this. Next up my Time Tunnel's

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
I decided to pre-order this even though there may be better deals upon release day. DVD Planet has it for $139.97 which is lower than a bunch of other sites I checked. Added a couple of other DVD's and used coupon "Prejuly2007" to get $15 off an order of $150 or more. Unfortunately, I have to pay tax with them so that was about $10 added to the order. Still, a relatively decent price for a somewhat pricey set.

I really like the look of this set, too, so I don't care about waiting to see if a cheaper-packaged version shows up later at half the price. Usually I don't care about limited-edition type fancy packaging, but this one looks really nice.

Honestly, I have not seen this show (even in re-runs) since watching some of them as a kid on original broadcast. But it has always stuck with me, and even though I know the series may not live up to expectations, the nostalgia factor will easily make it a fun viewing experience. I know I haven't seen all the episodes, or even a good percentage of them, so I am no expert on this show. Still, this was a no-brainer purchase for me.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
always struck me that NF had the flipper TV discs split so they wouldn't be rented so fast. Someone on the 3 out plan would have to take 6 rentals to get the collection instead of 3.

paul_austin

Second Unit
jeez is it me or are the extras here better than the combined LIS extras...or am I just a jealous bitch? I'm also very annoyed (as others have stated) that these look to be actually getting remastered instead of the crap LIS transfers were (but then time will tell as the LIS shows were touted as 'remastered", but clearly werent) and we had to buy 1/2 season sets...damn them, and damn them for the eventual double dip

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JOE
Picked up the LAND OF THE GIANTS collector's set at Best Buy today. It was kind of steep, about $170 on sale, but I had birthday gift certificates so I guess somebody figures I'm worth it. The box is really cool, constructed of sturdy wood with a rope handle top and wire mesh over a 3-D picture of the little people (looks like tin). The wire-mesh door slides up to reveal the contents: 5 DVD cases which fit nicely in slots cut in the wood, and the extras - A little packet containing a Spindrift keychain and LOTG crew patch, postcards with a weathered look (Deanna Lund's is a knockout), a little colector's book, a really cool miniature comic book, and a coupon for $ off on other Irwin Allen DVDs.
Yeah, it's pricey and the discs are double-sided as countless people have pointed out. But I'm not getting any younger and could get run over by a bus tomorrow, so I will enjoy watching my favorite show of all time for the remainder of my years.
Gotta go mow my lawn, will watch the unaired pilot tonight.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
I haven't had a chance to go through the 200 posts on this thread, but I was wondering if these episodes have been remastered or are they the same as the Columbia House DVD's. I thought the Columbia House release looked good, but the prints did have some damage on them.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

They have been remastered just as the Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and Time Tunnel episodes were. My set is in the mail. I can't wait. I hope you are enjoying your set Joe Kelly and you made good points about not getting any younger.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Joe, I agree with Randy. We're not getting any younger :) I had initially decided to pass on this one until some time passed and the price drops but I may take the plunge with this set. As far as the Flippers, I haven't had any problems with the sets in my collection except for the early Universal DVD-18's. I have the "Voyage" and "Time Tunnel" sets and they played perfectly. I have to admit that the studio came up with a unique pkg for the Giants set. Along with releasing the complete series, it's a set that's definitely marketed for the collector consumers and devout fans of this series.

Regarding the "time-passing" idea....the "Get Smart" set comes to mind. I'm really loving that set as I go through it and if I'd waited for the exclusive-year expiration, who knows.....we have busses in Dallas too :) As for the Giants price, what I've been thinking is to see how much the "Get Smart" set price drops when that set hits the retailers this fall. With the "Man From Uncle" set coming from T/L, that'll be yet another decision to make about waiting or not for the excl T/L year to expire.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks