What's new

Kubrick's 2001 - Is it safe to buy? (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Patrick: Mr. Kubrick would have insisted on total control no matter what studio he was working with. What Warner said about his "intentions" in regard to the digital hanky-panky forced upon Eyes Wide Shut simply does not ring true when one considers the man himself and all that he stood for. It was censorship. Again, the hell with Warner. JB

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Thats a valid point having to do with Eyes Wide Shut but this thread was about 2001. I believe Kubrick could give a rat's ass whether there was an "SE" of 2001. If there was ever a director who believed the work should stand on its own, it was Kubrick. Holding WB accountable for the lack of SE's is inaccurate since Kubrick never would have wanted them to begin with. And Vitali and Harlan are holding true to his spirit. WB would be a target if they DID release SE's to mop up the bucks post mortem.
As far as Kubrick demanding total control, that is a given. It was the special relationship with WB that was created which happened. WB was willing to do allow Kubrick total control because they respected his decision making and cost control. Are you confident another studio would have given such a contract?
Addressing the EWS fiasco, I completely agree that things got totally out of hand. Kubrick would not have released an NC17 movie - whether he would have used masking or editing to deliver an R is debateable. One thing I'm sure of is that Kubrick would have delivered an R film one way or another -- it was contracted that way.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Maybe some don't care for the film score taken on its own, but it's right up my alley - I love it. I also recommmend Alex North's film score that wasn't used.

As for supplements, right now nothing beats the Criterion 3-disc all-CAV box set. It can be found for not that much money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks