Kubrick's 2001 - Is it safe to buy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim_K, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Well I sold off my old horrible looking MGM disc a long time ago in anticipation of that super deluxe Special Edition that was rumored to come out last year from Warner.
    I know the Warner remaster version is the way to go right now.
    Is it safe to say that we won't see a Special Edition of 2001:ASOin the near future?
    Jim

2. Guy_K

Guy_K Second Unit

I think we won't see one, or any of Kubrick's WB titles in a SE any time soon.

3. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    Good God, it's 2001 !!!!! SE or not, how can you NOT have the remastered edition in your collection? It looks and sounds AMAZING.

4. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    This movie deserves much more than a threadbare release and I held off on buying it until this past Christmas, when my boss gave me a $100 gift certificate for Amazon.com. I wanted it badly but refused to get suckered into picking it up, then being hit with the old, "Oh, but the 2-disc special edition has just been announced!" routine.

But for free, who cares? Plus, this movie is just plain awesome.

5. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    How is the 2-disc SE (One disc movie & one disc CD score)? I have seen it at Hastings for $50, but didn't know if it was a good copy.

6. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

The DVD in that set is the same as available seperately (which is a VERY nice transfer).

7. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    It's safe to buy it. It won't become a sentient DVD and overtake your home theater. [​IMG]
    As mentioned previously this DVD looks and sounds superb and I doubt that there will be another release anytime soon, but one never knows.
    So what are you waiting for? Buy it!

8. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

This new disc came out in June. There were rumors of a special edition making it before the end of the year. 2001 ended with no such edition, so I went and bought the remastered disc from June. Would suggest you do the same.

9. Butch C

Butch C Second Unit

I used to own the score...besides Blue Danube theres nothing you would play to enjoy...the rest of the music taken out of the context of the film is just creepy experimental classical stuff that is plain old annoying

10. RobR

RobR Second Unit

Is the 2001: A Space Odyssey limited collector's set by Creative Design Art OOP? It's been out of stock at all major online retailers for quite a while. If not, does anybody know approxmiately how long Creative Design Art keeps a set on the market?

11. Michael St. Clair

It has a fair amount of edge enhancement, but you won't see another release in the near future. Buy it!

12. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

*You're sitting in your home theatre. You press the play button on you DVD player remote. Instead of complying, the DVD forces the drawer open and pops out of the machine. Catching a red gleam from some neon sign far distant, it's silver-gold surface glows red. It speaks "I'm sorry, Dave. I can't let you do that."*

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Is it safe to buy? My only concern was that it was past the expiration date on the cover, but then the sales clerk informed me that it was the film's title.

Regards,

14. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux

15. Michael_Y

Michael_Y Extra

Actually 2001 is one of the very few films of which I'd rather own a bare-bones disc, due to its themes/structure/nature. So I was glad they removed the Clarke interview from the previous release [​IMG]

16. Gil Jawetz

Gil Jawetz Stunt Coordinator

For those who were hoping for an SE this year, here's a slightly conspiracy minded (but probably 100% correct) reason why the one in a forever opportunity to make a big stink about "2001" in 2001 was passed up by Warners:
    http://www.nypress.com/15/2/film/film.cfm

17. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Like a moth attracted to an incandescent bulb, I'm here to chime in:
    * Craig Beam said it all in his post. SE or not, if you like or love this film then get the new DVD; it's the only version we have. Having had the pleasure of seeing this Masterpiece in 70mm recently (bringing my commercial-cinema tally for 2001 up to sixty-one screenings), I can tell you the new DVD edition does the film justice. On my WEGA, I can see minor edge-enhancement; on a friend's Toshiba 56H80, I can see a little more enhancement; none of it detracts from the film. The 70mm presentation is not to be missed simply because it is so immersive and has such high resolution.
    But those who own the MGM edition should hold on to their copies because of the extras (the Clarke talk, the original trailer).
    * Gil, that was an excellent review you copied and pasted in your post. May I ask who wrote it? The critic is spot on, but he makes a couple of minor errors: It was Arthur C. Clarke who said that MGM had just financed the first $10.5-million religious movie. The other is his reference to Mr. Kubrick's "predictions" being so on-the-money. The film did not "predict"; it presupposed a certain future by which the story could be told.
    As for the author's comments about Warner's indifference to the film and its reissue, I must concur. During its recent two-week run here in L.A., I saw a single 1"x3" ad in the alternative paper LA Weekly. And that's all.
    I've said it before, and here I go again: Warner does not deserve to have control over this film's distribution rights. The film is way too good for so clueless and out-of-touch a studio as Warner. And I sincerely hope some of the studio's wags are reading this thread.
    Another example of the studio's indifference: Why haven't we been treated to an all-out Special Edition of this of all films? Is it because Warner fears it might have to issue the DVD in a keepcase instead of a snapper or something? (Sarcasm intentional.)
    And for that matter, I want the unrated version of Eyes Wide Shut, too. Damn it, but I wish The Criterion Collection could get the DVD rights to EWS.
    The hell with Warner.

18. Gil Jawetz

The review is by Matt Zoller Seitz. I wasn't trying to insinuate that I wrote it and I included a link to the original source.

Regardless, it is a good piece (a couple of possible errors aside) and it's disgusting that AOL Time Warner would bury this historic opportunity.

19. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Thanks, Gil. Also, I didn't mean to give the impression that you were implying authorship to it; I knew that--you made it perfectly clear in your post. Sorry that you thought that I thought that!

20. Gil Jawetz

Eh, buddy, it's all good!

(hackneyed 1996 phrase alert)