Peter Bossman

Auditioning
My basic system consists of the following:

+ Denon AVR 3802

+ Klipsch RF3II mains

+ Klipsch RC3II center

+ Klipsch RS3II surrounds

+ Klipsch KSW-15 subwoofer

I'm VERY disappointed with the output of the subwoofer. My old DCMs with 12 in. woofers kicks this systems butt for bass and overall throughput.

Could I have set up the new system improperly? What could be wrong?

HELP?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
How'd you set it up? Have you calibrated? What are your speaker settings? How is the sub connected? What's the volume level on the sub? Is the crossover on the sub active? We need info if you want help.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
This article will hold part of your answer.
Link Removed
The KSW15 can just get past 100dB from 30hz up, and below 30hz it drops like a rock (oops, suppose I should qualify this is in the above testers room). If you want more base you'll have get ride of that sub and get a more capable one.
However, as mentioned above, you should make sure the KSW15 is setup right before you go get another sub and we need more info before that determination can be made.

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
I love Klipsch! However, the KSW subs really are not any good. Lots of people like SVS, and a paradigm PW2200 would be better. :)

Mac F

Agent
I had a pair of Klipschorns and a Belle Klipsch which I built years ago. They were fine for music, but couldn't deliver the punch needed for special effects in movies. I eventually supplimented them with a Velodyne subwoofer.

Harold_C

Stunt Coordinator
The KSW15 can just get past 100dB from 30hz up, and below 30hz it drops like a rock (oops, suppose I should qualify this is in the above testers room). If you want more base you'll have get ride of that sub and get a more capable one.
I think it is very misleading to suggest that a subwoofer needs to have signficant output below 30 Hz. In fact, I believe that most home theater owners would be doing darn well to get solid output down to 30 Hz.

I don't know if the Klipsh is a particularly good subwoofer or not. But, it will certainly produce significant bass in a normal size living room. If it is not doing so, then something is wrong with the hookup, settings, or calibration.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Since I completed my Tempest Sonosub (doesn't start to drop in output capability until under 18hz) I can tell you with 100% certainty that the sub 30hz stuff makes a huge difference in action movie soundtracks. Watching TPM, SPR, Matrix, Iron Giant, Gladiator, etc is a very different experience with a sub that has ample clean output at 20hz vs one that doesn't. And my room is about 2300ft^3.

Plus the KSW15 like most commercial ported subs is underported and tuned too high.

Harold_C

Stunt Coordinator
And, I can say with 100% certainty that my Ferrari F40 makes a huge difference on a Sunday afternoon drive in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.

Does this mean that there aren't many other less capable cars worth driving in the mountains of New Hampshire? No, of course not.

While I enjoy an action movie from time to time, if I had to watch a steady diet of Gladiator and the Matrix, I'd probably sell my home theater gear. For the vast majority of movies, sub-30Hz output isn't going to mean diddly. Not only do I think it's really unfair to suggest that somebody should feel they have to unload their subwoofer because it isn't flat to 20 Hz, but if I were prioritizing the most important places to spend money on a good all-purpose home theater system, sub-30Hz bass output would be very low on my list. Flat to 20Hz is very expensive, particularly in terms of amplifier power. I think the incremental cost of going from 30 to 20 Hz would probably be better spent on a good 5-channel power amplifier and/or 5 perfectly matched speakers.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Harold is right. That KSW-15 should provide some pretty decent bass. I own the KSW-10 and thought it had decent bass for a 10" 55 watt rms sub. My Shiva is WAY better, but that still doesn't mean the KSW series sub's can't perform.

Peter Bossman

Auditioning
I just ordered the Avia home theater setup DVD. Hopefully I'll be able to solve the problems I've encountered with this. I know I haven't spent the time to setup the system properly. I'll buy the spl meter from Radio Shack to attempt to setup the system properly. I hope that does the trick.

My opinion of Klipsch to date is that they are way "in your face" kind of speakers. Not that it's a bad thing...but that's the way they are.

This is my first attempt at an upper/mid system. As I've stated, my basic system consists of:

Denon AVR 3802

Klipsch RF3II's

Klipsch RC3II

Klipsch RS3II's

Klipsch KSW-15

I'd like to think that this is a pretty rocking system. (What's your opinion on this setup? I'm curious..)

To be honest, it has it's good and bad days. For pure output, it's the loudest and cleanest system I've ever heard. The bass is the weakest link. Once I find a way to fulfill my bass needs, the system will definitely be for keeps.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
And, I can say with 100% certainty that my Ferrari F40 makes a huge difference on a Sunday afternoon drive in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.
I'd say this comparison is unfair. My problem with the KSW series subs is they are under ported and tuned too high. There are subs in the same price range that will sound cleaner and have very respectable output at 20hz.

Pretty much any SVS model. Some of the Hsu offerings. The Adire Dharman. Acoustic Visions could build a number of different subs that would fit the bill. The Paradigm PW2200 would be a step up.

Klipsch makes some great towers, bookshelves and centers. The RSW subs are respectable if a little over priced. I don't care for the KSW subs.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I agree with Dustin, as imho future movies and music will cater more to the lower frequencies as most people will simply own the discs just for demo purposes (U571, Phantom Menace, and etc bad movies but good demoes). If the Klip sub is relatively new my advice return it (or maybe sell it) and buy a more competant performer or build one if calibration (using a spl meter and test disc), settings (turn the x-over to max or use the bypass, adjust phase, and adjust gain), and relocation (maybe it's placed in a null from the primary listening position) doesn't help. If the Klip sub only goes down to 30 hz, then I think it should be replaced (heck your towers claim that hit upper 30's so the sub really doesn't seem to add much in this case).

In your setup Peter, are the towers set large with sub or all speakers set small with sub, or sub hooked inline with mains and set to mains large and no sub?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
You might want to look at Velodyne subs. They make a very nice product in my opinion. There is a store caled Sound Factor in San Gabriel, CA if you live in that area. They carry Velodyne products.

Doug Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Peter -Unless you've already found your solution... perhaps you could let us know how you have your bass management configured (what speaker sizes, crossover points, etc...).

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks