What's new

Klipsch vs. Ascend ? (1 Viewer)

ScottyH

Agent
Real Name
Scott H
I am buying new fronts and a new center. I really cant decide which one to go with. Klipsch synergy F3 fronts and Klipsch synergy C3 center or Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE mains and 340 SE center. Have heard great reviews on both. I am going to be using them for 90% movies and 10% music. I am afraid that if i go with the Ascends I am going to need a better subwoofer to make up for the lost bass that the Klipsch would produce. What does everyone think?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I would actually look at your question about the subwoofer in a different way: if I'm going to buy a good subwoofer, then why would I need the additional bass from the main speakers that would go somewhat unused? The main reason you'd want your speakers to dig lower is if you demand to listen to your music without using a subwoofer. There are people out there who definitely prefer that, but with you only listed 10% of your listening as music I wouldn't think that would be a major concern.

I would personally lean toward the ascends. However many people are simply partial to floorstanding speakers. But when you look at the specs for both speakers, the ascends are at -3db at 45Hz while the Klipsch are down 3db at 35Hz. Most people cross their systems at 80Hz which would be perfectly fine with either of these setups. Both would even allow you to cross over at 60Hz if you desired to do so.

What sub are you planning to get, by the way?

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
If you are comparing the ascends to the synergy series then I would certainly consider the ascends. However, for not much more money, you can find the Klipsch Ref line heavily discounted. I have Klipsch Reference RF-35's, RC-7, and RS-25's for surrounds. I paid $1400 shipped for these. There are some great discounts out there. The MSRP of this set is $2500 w/out shipping.

scott>c

Second Unit
I`d also give an edge to the Klipsch line. If u can`t get the reference u could look for used Legends. I have the Klf-20`s and the Klf c-7 is an awesome center. I`ve owned the Ascends and liked them but their nothing like Klipsch for home theater IMHO. A lil too laid back for my ears.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter

Which gets to listening for yourself as only you can tell what you like. I can't take how bright Klipsch are. I find Ascend quite neutral. There are lots of speakers far more laid back then the Ascends.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Klipsch are not bright. I don't know what people are using for power or source material but neither my Reference series nor Heritage series are in any way bright...

SethH

Senior HTF Member

Or perhaps it's the receiving devices (ears) that are different. There are lots of people out there who think Klipsch are very bright, even harsh. Many will point to the reference line specifically.

Many others do not think Klipsch are bright at all and some would never purchase a different brand of speakers because they like them so much.

I don't think it has much to do with the amp or source material. I think it's all in the ars.

scott>c

Second Unit
Since u`r 90 % home theater I`d definately say the Klipsch. They are a lot more dynamic and u don`t need alot of power. Some people like the Ascends better for music cuz they have sensitive ears. I`m not one of them!!!!

I have Klipsch F1 mains and a C3 center. I like them matched up with my SVS. I don't think you will be disappointed with Klipsch. Moving up to an H/K 635 this weekend. This should really make them shine.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
What sub and receiver are you matching this up with? How loud you listen to movies, how large your listening area is, and how much bass/LFE you like are all going to be factors in your decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks