What's new

Klipsch Promedia GMX D-5.1 (1 Viewer)

joe_pre

Agent
I bought the above Klipsch speakes for my computer. I am finding out that they are really good speakers, but the games are limited which allow the 5.1 surround sound. My question is: Are the Klipsch Promedia GMX D-5.1 speakers usuable for my home theater system? In the next few months I will be purchased a new big-screen TV, receiver and DVD player and was wondering if these speakers would work for my system, and if they are of good enough quality where I should consider using them for the home theater instead of the computer. Thanks for any input/thoughts!

Joe

DarrenAlan

Stunt Coordinator
What's your room size? I have a pair of the old ProMedia 2.0s and if I recall, they're pretty small -- 3.5" midbass unit, a 5/8 or 1/2" tweeter, and a smallish sub with a 6" woofer. OK for a dorm room, perhaps, but wouldn't really work in a larger living room.

Also, the connections may be a bit dicey as the ProMedia's inputs are designed for a computer, so you'd have to go with adapters and such, and also ensure you didn't blow out the satellites with, say, 100 watts per channel driven into clipping, which would destroy the little speakers. The sub's internal amp which was about 10 watts for the satellites and 40W for the woofer effectively eliminated that risk.

But it can't hurt to try; who knows, you might even save yourself some $$$.

joe_pre

Agent
It's actually for use in my basement so it isn't a small room. I'm more interested in using the 5 speakers because I already have a good Sony Sub that I would use. I think the key is to make sure I don't blow them out. If the wattage is good I think they may work good for me. Thanks for the input! I'll be back when I get to the TV, DVD Player and Receiver!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks