What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (11 Viewers)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Why didn't Kino just release both versions, disc 1 extended in 4k and theatrical on disc 2.

If I've got this right, that was the original plan. Then, they took a survey on Facebook (it was mentioned a few pages back), and apparently, more people preferred getting the Theatrical Cut in 4K than the Extended Cut so they changed their plans. I was assuming this meant that the 2K blu-ray would be the Extended Cut, and asked if that was the case. It looks like they've dropped the EC from the release altogether; the 2K disc will also be just the TC.

As others have mentioned, the EC has already been released on 2K BD several times (although not re-graded). One might ask why not have the 2K disc in this release be the re-graded EC, but I suspect there are a number of folks who would like to see the re-graded TC who don't have a 4K player yet. This gives them a chance to see that now, and have a UHD of it for when they do upgrade.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Seems a little odd to spend the money on new color grading of both versions, then not release one of them (unless it's possible in a different release at a later date).

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
We asked for Modern Millie, but it wasn't available. We were not interested in Flower Drum Song.

We have no plans of releasing any of these Fox titles on BD.
I really hope that you have reconsidered releasing Flower Drum Song. I've counted a good number of people who have mentioned it on this thread and your other one. This is the only Rodgers and Hammerstein movie that has not been released on blu-ray. Fox has commented often how all of the Rodgers and Hammerstein films do so well for them, they have said they are some of the best sellers in their catalog (Oklahoma, State Fair, The King and I, The Sound of Music, Carousel and South Pacific). They are among (and probably on top of) the most honored and popular songwriting team in musicals. Plus, it's the perfect film for the blu-ray format, beautiful cinematography, gorgeous color and a 4.0 magnetic stereo soundtrack that blows most of the 1960's soundtracks into the dust. I don't know if you have this from the 3rd deal, I certainly hope so, but if there is ever a 4th deal, please reconsider releasing this. If you do, you will have released all 3 of Universal's big-production musicals of the 1960's and completed the release of all of the Rodgers and Hammerstein films on blu-ray.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I really hope that you have reconsidered releasing Flower Drum Song. I've counted a good number of people who have mentioned it on this thread and your other one. This is the only Rodgers and Hammerstein movie that has not been released on blu-ray. Fox has commented often how all of the Rodgers and Hammerstein films do so well for them, they have said they are some of the best sellers in their catalog (Oklahoma, State Fair, The King and I, The Sound of Music, Carousel and South Pacific). They are among (and probably on top of) the most honored and popular songwriting team in musicals. Plus, it's the perfect film for the blu-ray format, beautiful cinematography, gorgeous color and a 4.0 magnetic stereo soundtrack that blows most of the 1960's soundtracks into the dust. I don't know if you have this from the 3rd deal, I certainly hope so, but if there is ever a 4th deal, please reconsider releasing this. If you do, you will have released all 3 of Universal's big-production musicals of the 1960's and completed the release of all of the Rodgers and Hammerstein films on blu-ray.
If Kino isn't interested, try getting in touch with Shout Factory as they handle quite a lot of Universal's library as well. I could see Flower Drum Song being release from their Shout Select collection.

What is the third Universal 1960's musical?

murrayThompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Murray Thompson
I also wish they would release Flower Drum Song, its crazy that this very important title has never been released on BD!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think most posters on the forum would agree with that sentiment.

But I will repeat again...and keep repeating it for as long as necessary...that this thread is SOLELY for the purpose of new release announcements by the representative from Kino-Lorber.

Please see Item #3. This thread is for announcements and reaction to the announcements only.
That means there is to be no debate about what titles Kino should/shouldn't release.

Kino Lorber Insider thread Guidelines

Home Theater Forum is very excited to welcome KINO LORBER INSIDER, a representative
of Kino Distribution, who will be providing the membership with the latest Blu-ray and DVD
catalog announcements.

In an attempt to prevent problems we have experienced in the past, we are setting forth
the following guidelines that the HTF Moderating team will be strictly enforcing. Please
read these guidelines very carefully...

1. KINO LORBER INSIDER, as a representative of Kino Distribution, will be posting new release information in this thread as it becomes available.

2. KINO LORBER INSIDER will only be posting release announcements. They will respond to questions they are allowed to answer. They have new KL guidelines to what questions they are allowed to answer and what they're not. The insider is not required to answer every question posed to him.

3. This thread is for announcements and reaction to the announcements only.

4. KINO LORBER INSIDER will be professional in his responses to the membership. He is to receive the same
amount of respect from the membership.

5. Any member(s) who violate(s) any of our rules, will be immediately locked out of this thread
at first offense, without previous warning. More serious measures may of course apply.

Ronald J Epstein

Home Theater Forum co-owner

Kino Critical Discussion Thread

murrayThompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Murray Thompson
I think most posters on the forum would agree with that sentiment.

But I will repeat again...and keep repeating it for as long as necessary...that this thread is SOLELY for the purpose of new release announcements by the representative from Kino-Lorber.

Please see Item #3. This thread is for announcements and reaction to the announcements only.
That means there is to be no debate about what titles Kino should/shouldn't release.
OMG I didnt know that, are these restriction also on all the other threads like this, if so I wont ever reply again?

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
OMG are these restriction also on all the other threads like this, if so I wont ever reply again?
Those restrictions apply to this thread due to past issues we've had in a prior Kino Announcement thread. If people want to discuss proposed/speculative Kino titles in depth they can start another thread or even use this other Kino thread to do so. Our aim in this particular thread is to focus on actual announced Kino releases that are soon to be release without sidetracking discussion with speculation and/or some other discussion item.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
All threads here on HTF start off on topic and usually stay that way up until about page 20/30 something and that's where it tends to go off the tracks where everything including the kitchen sink is discussed and at times heavily debated as well. By the time a moderator shows up to get the thread back on track again no can remember what the original topic was to being with.

Casey62

Agent
Real Name
Tony Crnkovich
Didn't think THUNDERBOLT would ever be considered worthy of a Blu-ray release. It's nice to be wrong. As a fan of Josef von Sternberg and Fay Wray, this is a no-brainer purchase for me.🤗

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
All threads here on HTF start off on topic and usually stay that way up until about page 20/30 something and that's where it tends to go off the tracks where everything including the kitchen sink is discussed and at times heavily debated as well. By the time a moderator shows up to get the thread back on track again no can remember what the original topic was to being with.
Our moderators do an amazing job of herding cats, and on busy/long threads like this, sometimes they can't keep up with the cats :D

I've been pondering adding a feature to pin "thread rules" on a per thread basis to help avoid these issues, particularly for threads like this one.

Open to ideas on how we could make things better, particularly from @Mike Frezon and @Robert Crawford .

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've been pondering adding a feature to pin "thread rules" on a per thread basis to help avoid these issues, particularly for threads like this one.
If that means the rules (from post #3) would be "pinned" to the top of each thread age, @Dave Upton , I would think that might go a long way to acting as a reminder to all of us, PLUS serve as useful new information to members who join the thread late.

From where I sit, I don't think it would clutter things up to much...and there aren't too many threads like this one.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming May 4th!

Cool as Ice (1991)
• Audio Commentary by Film Historians Alexandra Heller-Nicholas and Josh Nelson
• Theatrical Trailer
• Optional English Subtitles

Color 91 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated PG
Featuring chart-topping music, Cool as Ice stars recording artist Vanilla Ice in his exciting motion picture debut. Johnny (Vanilla Ice) is a freewheeling, motorcycle-riding musician who rolls into a small town with his band. There he meets Kathy (Kristin Minter, TV’s ER), a high school honor student who catches his eye and his heart. Can a “good” girl like Kathy fall for such a “bad” guy? It’s modern romance with a beat in this fast-paced film with stunning visual style and a hit soundtrack. Directed by David Kellogg (Inspector Gadget).

738329252632.jpg

Last edited:

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
OMG I know this isn't the forum to critique KL's decisions on releases... but just this once, I can't help myself...

Really...??!

The good news is that KL has been so spectacularly great so far, so they're allowed a few misses.

(Then again, for all I know this will turn out to be a top seller... :biggrin: )

Barnduke98

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex Thieu.
Anything have Gale Sondergaard and rondo Hatton and Lois Collier and Noah Beery Jr inside your package new unreleased horror 1946 two of horror them new disc dvd and blu ray universal kino lorber mr insider still happening?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
OMG I know this isn't the forum to critique KL's decisions on releases... but just this once, I can't help myself...

Really...??!

The good news is that KL has been so spectacularly great so far, so they're allowed a few misses.

(Then again, for all I know this will turn out to be a top seller... :biggrin: )
I believe they've explained previously that they sometimes have to buy packages of titles and are contractually required to release all of them. They cannot just pick and choose the titles they want to release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks