What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (13 Viewers)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member

Well, I haven't seen it since its original first run release and that was 52 years ago! But based on my movie going memory, it was a weak comedy adventure. James Garner has gone on record as disliking it. If you enjoyed The Secret War Of Harry Frigg (I didn't) then you might enjoy this. They were both typical of the "comedies" Universal was churning out around this time.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
A MAN COULD GET KILLED would be great! How many people know that instrumental of "Strangers in the Night" was written for this film?

Oops. Then that might be a problem. Music rights are among the biggest hurdles to home-video releases. Rights to "Temptation" have singlehandedly stymied a release of the Universal 1953 title The Glass Web.

If I'm misreading this situation, then that's fine; I too would love to see a blu ray of this.... but I have my suspicions....

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon on Blu-ray & DVD!

Brand New 2K Master!

Body Slam (1986)
Starring Dirk Benedict, Tanya Roberts, Roddy Piper, Lou Albano, Barry Gordon, Charles Nelson Reilly, Billy Barty, John Astin & John Fujioka – Shot by Michael Shea (Devil Times Five) – Directed by Hal Needham (Smokey and the Bandit).

Image may contain: 3 people, people standing, shoes and outdoor

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Maybe a little more 60s action with James Garner's A Man Could Get Killed. That would fit nicely .

If my memory serves me correctly, KL was asked about A Man Could Get Killed some time ago and replied that the title was not available to them. He didn't elaborate.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
If my memory serves me correctly, KL was asked about A Man Could Get Killed some time ago and replied that the title was not available to them. He didn't elaborate.
Me too. That along with several other Universal titles from that general time period. We can always hope.

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
In addition to suspense-adventure-drama offerings (HOUSE OF CARDS, THE HELL WITH HEROES), there are comedies (COME SEPTEMBER, THAT FUNNY FEELING, ROSIE!, A VERY SPECIAL FAVOR), westerns (THE LAST SUNSET), outdoor dramas (THE SPIRAL ROAD), personal stories (THE PAD AND HOW TO USE IT), family entertainments (ISLAND OF THE BLUE DOLPHINS, THE TRUTH ABOUT SPRING), theatrical movies recycled from TV productions (SERGEANT RYKER, THE MOVIE MAKER, THREE GUNS FOR TEXAS, TAMMY AND THE MILLIONAIRE), and a ton of quality made-for-tv movies (THE BORGIA STICK, THE UFO INCIDENT, COMPANIONS IN NIGHTMARE). So yes indeed, there are many, many Universal movies still out there waiting for a Blu-ray release, not to mention several cult classic TV series (THRILLER, NIGHT GALLERY, KOLCHAK).

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
In addition to suspense-adventure-drama offerings (HOUSE OF CARDS, THE HELL WITH HEROES), there are comedies (COME SEPTEMBER, THAT FUNNY FEELING, ROSIE!, A VERY SPECIAL FAVOR), westerns (THE LAST SUNSET), outdoor dramas (THE SPIRAL ROAD), personal stories (THE PAD AND HOW TO USE IT), family entertainments (ISLAND OF THE BLUE DOLPHINS, THE TRUTH ABOUT SPRING), theatrical movies recycled from TV productions (SERGEANT RYKER, THE MOVIE MAKER, THREE GUNS FOR TEXAS, TAMMY AND THE MILLIONAIRE), and a ton of quality made-for-tv movies (THE BORGIA STICK, THE UFO INCIDENT, COMPANIONS IN NIGHTMARE). So yes indeed, there are many, many Universal movies still out there waiting for a Blu-ray release, not to mention several cult classic TV series (THRILLER, NIGHT GALLERY, KOLCHAK).
Here's some other Universal titles of the 60's to add. (I looked up the list of films I saw at my local drive-in. Universal sure churned 'em out back then.

A LOVELY WAY TO DIE - Kirk Douglas
ANGEL IN MY POCKET - Andy Griffith
THE BRASS BOTTLE - Tony Randall
BUS RILEY'S BACK IN TOWN - Ann-Margret
THE COCKEYED COWBOYS OF CALICO COUNTY - Dan Blocker
DEATH OF A GUNFIGHTER - Richard Widmark
DID YOU HEAR THE ONE ABOUT THE TRAVELING SALESLADY ? - Phyllis Diller
FLUFFY - Tony Randall
FOR LOVE OR MONEY - Kirk Douglas
I'D RATHER BE RICH - Sandra Dee
OUT OF SIGHT - Jonathan Daly (beach party/spy spoof with Gary Lewis, The Turtles, Freddie and the Dreamers & others)
THE PLAINSMAN - Don Murray (remake of 1936 Gary Cooper western)
THE RAIDERS - Robert Culp
RIDE TO HANGMAN'S TREE - Jack Lord
ROMANOFF AND JULIET - Peter Ustinov
SECRET OF BLOOD ISLAND (a Hammer film that's a sequel to THE CAMP ON BLOOD ISLAND)
SIX BLACK HORSES - Audie Murphy (just one of many westerns Murphy continued to make for Universal in the '60s)
SKULLDUGGERY - Burt Reynolds
TAGGART - Dan Duryea, Tony Young
VALLEY OF MYSTERY - Richard Egan, Peter Graves
WILD AND WONDERFUL - Tony Curtis

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Here's some other Universal titles of the 60's to add. (I looked up the list of films I saw at my local drive-in. Universal sure churned 'em out back then.

FLUFFY - Tony Randall
OUT OF SIGHT - Jonathan Daly (beach party/spy spoof with Gary Lewis, The Turtles, Freddie and the Dreamers & others)
SECRET OF BLOOD ISLAND (a Hammer film that's a sequel to THE CAMP ON BLOOD ISLAND)
SIX BLACK HORSES - Audie Murphy (just one of many westerns Murphy continued to make for Universal in the '60s)
And Wild, Wild Winter and The Lively Set.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member

FLUFFY - Tony Randall

You must have missed the announcement. KL has already announced A Lovely Way To Die as coming next year.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
The Pink Jungle (1968) Starring James Garner, Eva Renzi, George Kennedy, Nigel Green, Michael Ansara, George Rose, Fabrizio Mioni & Val Avery – Shot by Russell Metty (Spartacus) – Written by Charles Williams (Dead Calm) – Directed by Delbert Mann (Marty).

Nice! Remember this one fondly from a few TV showings growing up. Looking forward to seeing it again...these '60s spy spoofs are a lot of fun.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Yeah, Universal still has quite a bit in their library, from the '60s, '50s, and TV. We're lucky Kino is open to releasing some of this more obscure stuff.

Fingers crossed that some of those '50s obscurities like The Night Runner and especially Girl in the Kremlin aren't tied up in rights entanglements. I believe they'd sell well.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming to DVD and Blu-ray February 2nd from Kino Classics and IndieCollect!

Nationtime (1972)
Directed by William Greaves
Narrated by Sidney Poitier and Harry Belafonte

NEW 4K RESTORATION FROM INDIECOLLECT!

Best known for his genre-bending movie Symbiopsychotaxiplasm, William Greaves (1926–2014) was the director of over 100 documentary films, the majority focused on African American history, politics, and culture. Nationtime is his vivid account of the National Black Political Convention held in Gary, Indiana, in 1972, a historic event that gathered Black delegates from across the political spectrum, among them Jesse Jackson, Dick Gregory, Coretta Scott King, Dr. Betty Shabazz, Richard Hatcher, Amiri Baraka, Charles Diggs, Isaac Hayes, Richard Roundtree and H. Carl McCall. Narrated by Sidney Poitier and Harry Belafonte, the film was considered too militant for television broadcast at the time and has since circulated only in a truncated 58-minute version. This new 4K restoration from IndieCollect, with funding from Jane Fonda and the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, returns the film to its original 80-minute length and visual quality.

Special Features:
*Booklet with essay by American history scholar and author Leonard Moore, PhD, and note on the restoration by Sandra Schulberg (Blu-ray only)
*Interview with Louise Greaves, William's wife and collaborator
*Interview with David Greaves, William's son and collaborator
*Trailer

Nationtime_BR.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming to DVD and Blu-ray February 9th from Kino Classics and IndieCollect!

Jazz on a Summer's Day (1959)
Directed by Bert Stern
Starring: Louis Armstrong, Thelonious Monk, Chuck Berry

New 4K restoration from IndieCollect!

Filmed at the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival in Rhode Island and directed by world-renowned photographer Bert Stern, Jazz on a Summer’s Day features intimate performances by an all-star line-up of musical legends including Louis Armstrong, Thelonious Monk, Gerry Mulligan, Anita O’Day, Chuck Berry, Dinah Washington, and closes with a beautiful rendition of The Lord’s Prayer by Mahalia Jackson at midnight to usher in Sunday morning. Presented in a stunning 4K restoration by IndieCollect.

Special features:
*"Bert Stern: Original Madman" (2011 documentary by Shannah Laumeister Stern)
*Archival interviews with director Bert Stern
*Audio commentary by music journalist Natalie Weiner
*Bern Stern photo galleries
*Booklet essay by Nate Chinen, author of "Playing Changes: Jazz for the New Century" (Blu-ray only)
*Extended audio of Mahalia Jackson's "The Lord's Prayer"
*Trailer

JazzOnASummersDay_BR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks