What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (6 Viewers)

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming to DVD and Blu-ray August 25th from Kino Classics!

Reginald Denny Collection (two-disc set)

The Reckless Age (1924)
Directed by Harry Pollard
Starring Reginald Denny

Skinner's Dress Suit (1926)
Directed by William A. Seiter
Starring Reginald Denny and Laura La Plante

What Happened to Jones? (1926)
Starring Reginald Denny and Marian Nixon

NEW 4K RESTORATIONS FROM UNIVERSAL PICTURES!

The Reginald Denny Collection gathers three silent features from the career of the debonair British star: The Reckless Age, Skinner’s Dress Suit, and What Happened to Jones? The former amateur boxing champion made his name in a series of two-reelers about the fighting life, The Leather Pushers (1922), but soon made his way up to leading man. In the romantic comedy The Reckless Age Denny plays an insurance agent who insinuates himself into the case of a wealthy heiress. In Skinner’s Dress Suit, directed by comedy ace William A. Seiter (Sons of the Desert), he is a shy clerk who asks his boss for a raise at the urging of his wife. His request is rejected, but he lies to his wife, who immediately goes out and buys an expensive suit, an act that upends his once-ordered life. And in What Happened to Jones?, also directed by Seiter, Denny plays a wealthy young bachelor on the night before his wedding. He is convinced to attend a poker party which is promptly raided, sending him on the run in a series of increasingly hilarious disguises.

Special features:
*Audio commentary for The Reckless Age, What Happened to Jones?, and Skinner's Dress Suit by film historian Anthony Slide
*The Reckless Age music by Jake Monaco
*What Happened to Jones? music by Anthony Willis
*Skinner's Dress Suit music by Leo Birenberg
*O-Card slipcase (Blu-ray only)

Denny_BR.jpg

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Just to clarify, the title of the film is SIX WEEKS, but I could not agree more that I would love to see this come to Blu-Ray. I still remember seeing it in the theatre as an 11-year old and loving it.

A definite tear-jerker!

Yes, I meant six. My bad. Great flick, and a pretty solid digital only transfer streaming on Amazon currently.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I hope this isn't inappropriate, but is Welcome Stranger (A 1947 Paramount release) a Universal movie now? Edit: Got out my DVD, which indeed was a Universal published release.

I think I saw it said that no Bing Crosby films were part of this latest deal, but that would make for a heck of a release someday if it were able to happen.

Last edited:

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Coming to DVD and Blu-ray August 25th from Kino Classics!

Reginald Denny Collection (two-disc set)

The Reckless Age (1924)
Directed by Harry Pollard
Starring Reginald Denny

Skinner's Dress Suit (1926)
Starring Reginald Denny and Laura La Plante

What Happened to Jones? (1926)
Starring Reginald Denny and Marian Nixon

NEW 4K RESTORATIONS FROM UNIVERSAL PICTURES!

The Reginald Denny Collection gathers three silent features from the career of the debonair British star: The Reckless Age, Skinner’s Dress Suit, and What Happened to Jones? The former amateur boxing champion made his name in a series of two-reelers about the fighting life, The Leather Pushers (1922), but soon made his way up to leading man. In the romantic comedy The Reckless Age Denny plays an insurance agent who insinuates himself into the case of a wealthy heiress. In Skinner’s Dress Suit, directed by comedy ace William A. Seiter (Sons of the Desert), he is a shy clerk who asks his boss for a raise at the urging of his wife. His request is rejected, but he lies to his wife, who immediately goes out and buys an expensive suit, an act that upends his once-ordered life. And in What Happened to Jones?, also directed by Seiter, Denny plays a wealthy young bachelor on the night before his wedding. He is convinced to attend a poker party which is promptly raided, sending him on the run in a series of increasingly hilarious disguises.

Special features:
*Audio commentary for The Reckless Age, What Happened to Jones?, and Skinner's Dress Suit by film historian Anthony Slide
*The Reckless Age music by Jake Monaco
*What Happened to Jones? music by Anthony Willis
*Skinner's Dress Suit music by Leo Birenberg
*O-Card slipcase (Blu-ray only)

View attachment 73717

This is fabulous news. Denny's silent comedies are barely seen even by many hardcore buffs, and they're all delightful. This is one of THE important releases of the year.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Just saw the updated schedule at the beginning of this thread with most of their September titles, and all I can say is FINALLY!!! A release date for the long-awaited Love Me Tonight in September, along with The Cat And The Canary (1939), The Ghost Breakers, and Never Steal Anything Small! Looks like September will be a good month for releases!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming in September!

Disputed Passage (1939) Starring Dorothy Lamour, Akim Tamiroff & John Howard – Shot by William C. Mellor (A Place in the Sun, Giant) – Screenplay by Anthony Veiller (The Killers) & Sheridan Gibney (I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang) – Directed by Frank Borzage (Bad Girl, A Farewell to Arms, Desire, The Mortal Storm, Moonrise).
Image may contain: 3 people, text

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just saw the updated schedule at the beginning of this thread with most of their September titles, and all I can say is FINALLY!!! A release date for the long-awaited Love Me Tonight in September, along with The Cat And The Canary (1939), The Ghost Breakers, and Never Steal Anything Small! Looks like September will be a good month for releases!
Just remember that I update this thread on a daily basis.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy

Coming in September!

Disputed Passage (1939) Starring Dorothy Lamour, Akim Tamiroff & John Howard – Shot by William C. Mellor (A Place in the Sun, Giant) – Screenplay by Anthony Veiller (The Killers) & Sheridan Gibney (I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang) – Directed by Frank Borzage (Bad Girl, A Farewell to Arms, Desire, The Mortal Storm, Moonrise).
A nice surprise. It is always good to see something that never had a release on video before.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Coming in September!

It's not a Dorothy Lamour 'Sarong' picture (those are her best, imho), but I'll be purchasing this one for sure.

Gary "bring on Lamour" O.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
A nice surprise. It is always good to see something that never had a release on video before.

Actually, Disputed Passage was released as part of the Universal MOD program. I have it. I don't think I'll upgrade though. While I liked the first half of the film, the second half is heavy handed and sluggish.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming in September!

Oscar Winner: Best Score!

The Milagro Beanfield War (1988) Starring in alphabetical order: Rubén Blades, Richard Bradford, Sônia Braga, Julie Carmen, James Gammon, Melanie Griffith, John Heard, Carlos Riquelme, Daniel Stern, Chick Vennera, Christopher Walken with Freddy Fender, Tony Genaro, Jerry Harden & M. Emmet Walsh – Shot by Robbie Greenberg (Sweet Dreams, Free Willy) – Music by Dave Grusin (Fuzz, Havana) – Screenplay by John Nichols (The Sterile Cuckoo) and David S. Ward (The Sting) – Directed by Robert Redford (Ordinary People, A River Runs Through It, Quiz Show).
Image may contain: one or more people

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming in September!

Oscar Winner: Best Score!

The Milagro Beanfield War (1988) Starring in alphabetical order: Rubén Blades, Richard Bradford, Sônia Braga, Julie Carmen, James Gammon, Melanie Griffith, John Heard, Carlos Riquelme, Daniel Stern, Chick Vennera, Christopher Walken with Freddy Fender, Tony Genaro, Jerry Harden & M. Emmet Walsh – Shot by Robbie Greenberg (Sweet Dreams, Free Willy) – Music by Dave Grusin (Fuzz, Havana) – Screenplay by John Nichols (The Sterile Cuckoo) and David S. Ward (The Sting) – Directed by Robert Redford (Ordinary People, A River Runs Through It, Quiz Show).
Image may contain: one or more people
I wonder if KINO could get the feature documentary The Milagro Man: The Irrepressible Multicultural Life and Literary Times of John Nichols (2012) which covers the making of this movie, as a bonus feature.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Actually, Disputed Passage was released as part of the Universal MOD program. I have it. I don't think I'll upgrade though. While I liked the first half of the film, the second half is heavy handed and sluggish.
Yes. I just remembered that it was released as a MOD DVD a few years ago. I mentioned it later in this thread. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks