What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (5 Viewers)

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
What titles are in this set?

And what Titles are in the Barbara Stanwyck 3-Film Collection? if it has been stated, I apologize

What a great list from Kino! As for the films in the Film Noir and Barbara Stanwyck collections, I'm guessing that
Kino wants to have SOME surprises left up its sleeve. The same would hold true for the movies simply identified
as 1930s Universal Film and 1980s Universal Film.

Yes, the sets should be announced next week and hopefully also the 30s and 80s titles.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Coming to DVD and Blu-ray April 28th from Kino Classics!

Tartuffe (1925)
Directed by F.W. Murnau
Starring Emil Jannings and Lil Dagover

The most gifted visual storyteller of the German silent era, F. W. Murnau crafted works of great subtlety and emotional complexity through his absolute command of the cinematic medium. Known for such dazzling films as Nosferatu (1922), The Last Laugh (1924), Faust (1926), and Sunrise (1927), Murnau was also drawn to more intimate dramas exploring the dark corners of the human mind. In Tartuffe (Herr Tartüff), he revisits Moliére's fable of religious hypocrisy, in which a faithful wife (Lil Dagover) tries to convince her husband (Werner Krauss) that their morally superior guest, Tartuffe (Emil Jannings), is in fact a lecherous hypocrite with a taste for the grape. To endow the story with contemporary relevance, Murnau frames Moliére's tale with a modern-day plot concerning a housekeeper's stealthy efforts to poison her elderly master and take control of his estate.

Special features:
*Audio commentary by film historian Troy Howarth
*Restored German release version with orchestral score by Robert Israel
*U.S. release version (SD) with music by Giuseppe Becce, adapted by Javier Perez De Azpeitia

View attachment 68657
Another must in a film lover's library. This restoration is great and Jannings is amazing. Murnau is one of the most sublime artists of the silent medium.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
5/5
A Thousand Clowns (1965)
Me, Natalie (1969)
Brighton Rock (1948)
Pool of London (1951)
An Inspector Calls (1954)
5/12
Barbara Stanwyck 3-Film Collection
Film Noir: The Dark Side of Cinema II (3-Film Collection)
5/19
The Pink Panther Cartoons Complete Collection (6-Disc Set)
The Captive Heart (1946)
The Night My Number Came Up (1955)
The Long The Short And The Tall (1961) aka Jungle Fighters
1930s Universal Film
Lonely Are the Brave (1962)
5/26
In Search of Dracula (1975)
The Chicken Chronicles (1977)
A Man, a Woman and a Bank (1979)
Old Boyfriends (1979)
1980s Universal Film
Taza, Son of Cochise (1954) 3-D

View attachment 68628
A Thousand Clowns and Pink Panther cartoons..a new MGM deal? Kino is the absolute best..The Chicken Chronicles....finally!

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Newman's Law (1974) Theatrical Trailer
Directed by Richard T. Heffron (I, the Jury)
Starring George Peppard, Roger Robinson, Abe Vigoda & Michael Lerner

I've never seen Newman's Law before, but that trailer sold me. Looks like a lot of fun. Can't wait for its release.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon!
Brand New 4K Restoration!

Straight Shooting (1917) Starring Harry Carey, Duke R. Lee, George Berrel, Molly Malone and Hoot Gibson - Directed by John Ford.

An interesting release that I will surely buy as more John Ford/Harry Carey films are always welcome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_Shooting

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Another must in a film lover's library. This restoration is great and Jannings is amazing. Murnau is one of the most sublime artists of the silent medium.

I've been getting into Murnau's non-NOSFERATU material lately courtesy of a Eureka! box set, and I enjoyed TARTUFFE a lot. Anyone having difficulty accepting Emil Jannings as an actor of significant range ought to compare this film to THE LAST LAUGH.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I've been getting into Murnau's non-NOSFERATU material lately courtesy of a Eureka! box set, and I enjoyed TARTUFFE a lot. Anyone having difficulty accepting Emil Jannings as an actor of significant range ought to compare this film to THE LAST LAUGH.
And Faust for more Murnau. Then explore Variete and The Blue Angel...

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
A Thousand Clowns and Pink Panther cartoons..a new MGM deal? Kino is the absolute best..The Chicken Chronicles....finally!
A THOUSAND CLOWNS was announced months ago.
Funny thing is, I asked about it a couple years ago and they said they didn’t have it, but a great surprise when they announced it. I love the film. Very funny. Jason Robards was hilarious!

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean

As a community college humanities professor for nearly 30 years, Moliere's Tartuffe has long been a staple in my coverage of 1the 7th and 18th century Western performing arts. I cannot wait to purchase this title!

Mike Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Well I just went on the Blu-ray. com site and preordered a half dozen upcoming Kino titles at Amazon. Usually wait til the price drops, but I don't believe that's an option if we want these titles to keep coming. I did notice earlier in this thread that one of my favorite films Away All Boats was mentioned as one of the only Universal Vista Vision films. I surely would like to replace my pan and scan GoodTimes DVD that I bought 30 some years ago.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Well I just went on the Blu-ray. com site and preordered a half dozen upcoming Kino titles at Amazon. Usually wait til the price drops, but I don't believe that's an option if we want these titles to keep coming. I did notice earlier in this thread that one of my favorite films Away All Boats was mentioned as one of the only Universal Vista Vision films. I surely would like to replace my pan and scan GoodTimes DVD that I bought 30 some years ago.
I imagine HTF would have preferred if you had used their pre-order links to support this site rather than Blu-ray-dot-com, but so be it...

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Great to see more German silents on the way! Tartuffe is a fun and unexpected film by Murnau, as it's a comedy. It almost seems like something by Lubitsch from the same period. I'll admit that I have the Masters of Cinema "Early Murnau" box from a few years ago with this (as well as Phantom, The Haunted Castle, The Last Laugh, and The Finances of the Grand Duke), but if it's the same transfer, it's quite beautiful. If Flicker Alley just reissued Phantom on Blu-ray, that would cover the whole set (though, it wouldn't surprise me if they let it expire since it's the only Murnau Foundation restoration they have compared to Kino Lorber having all the rest).

Also glad to see the Pink Panther cartoons are getting a boxed edition. I'll be ordering that along with the other two DePatie-Freleng sets.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
And it would probably be more support for Kino if you just buy directly from them, rather than supporting Amazon.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Speaking of Warners & Universal releases, I am wondering why the Kino blu ray of 4-D Man(1959) with Robert Lansing shows the Warner logo at the beginning instead of the Universal-International logo. Not a huge deal because the picture and sound are so much better than the Image DVD, but I am wondering if the title changed ownership and that is why the original studio logo is missing.

Warners distributed it overseas, so it was likely remastered from a UK element.

Mike S.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks