What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (16 Viewers)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Hope my order succeeds. It's technically August 5th by several hours, but sale prices were still showing when I got home a few minutes ago from a NASCAR race at Watkins Glen and saw some posts here about a sale.

Order seems to have gone through though, so here's what I hope I'm getting. :)

[Blu-ray] Easy Living
[Blu-ray] The Farmer’s Daughter
[Blu-ray] A Lady Takes a Chance
[Blu-ray] Lifeboat
[Blu-ray] Made For Each Other (Restored Edition)
[Blu-ray] Road to Morocco (Special Edition)
[Blu-ray] Road to Singapore (Special Edition)
[Blu-ray] Road to Utopia (Special Edition)
[Blu-ray] Road to Zanzibar (Special Edition)

Took a good bit off my Kino wishlist. Still several more I want to get, especially their remaining Jean Arthur films like A Foreign Affair. But even discounted these add up quick.

Edit: Darn, meant to grab Midnight Lace but forgot. Wish there wasn't a free shipping threshold or I'd go place another order. Not worth the hassle of trying to cancel my order and replace it with it added, and the sale prices could be revoked at any second now that it's well into the 5th of August.

Last edited:

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
I was very busy yesterday and forgot about the sale, but tried my luck this morning. The sale prices were still in effect, so I ordered:

Becky Sharp
Far From Heaven
Good Times
I Wake Up Screaming
Midnight Lace

I noticed my total was just over $50.00, so stopped there to get free shipping. It's been an expensive month with not only Kino's sale, but TT, Warner Archive and B & N/Criterion all at the same time.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Additional purchases before the sale ended:

Last Year at Marienbad
Film Noir Collection; The Dark Side of Cinema
A Zed and Two Naughts
A Farewell to Arms
Scarlet Street
Kind Hearts and Coronets
The Lavender Hill Mob
Deadline USA
War Gods of the Deep
Topkapi
Candy
Donovan's Brain
The Crooked Way

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming October 22nd on DVD & BD from Scorpion Releasing!

Brand New 2K Masters!

Covergirls (1984)
Splashed with high-fashion glamour, romance and fantasies-come-true, Covergirl tells the story of one girl’s meteoric rise to superstar model – and the man who makes it all happen. Covergirl also depicts, the heartaches and struggles involved in the climb to success… the result is a provocative insight into the world of beauty and fashion. Behind-the-scenes of New York’s racy world of high fashion and glamour, Kit Paget (Irena Ferris, TV’s Cover Up), a New York model who is cynical of ever reaching the top, meets T.C. Sloane (Jeff Conaway, Grease and TV’s Taxi), a video and computer whiz entrepreneur, whose visions bring the magic of Covergirl to life. Directed by Jean-Claude Lord (The Vindicator) and co-starring Kenneth Walsh (The Day After Tomorrow).

Talking Walls (1987) with optional English subtitles
Like any red-blooded American male, Paul Barton (Stephen Shellen, The Stepfather) lives for romance and intimacy. But in his desire to find the key to a lasting relationship, Barton carries voyeurism to the point of obsession and beyond. Armed with state-of-the-art equipment, Barton begins a very unusual college research project. Determined to find the source of true passion, he knocks a hole in the wall of his motel room and begins taping the intimate moments in the adjoining room. But his passionate research does not stop there. Soon, the entire motel is under his watchful eye. His research yields some very interesting and steamy findings. Findings about love, his college professor, himself and Jeanne (Marie Laurin, Creature), the girl of his dreams. Talking Walls is a high-tech, high-octane drama where temperatures rise, sparks fly and where morality is thrown out the window. Directed by Stephen Verona (The Lords of Flatbush) with a top-notch cast that includes Sybil Danning (Chained Heat), Sally Kirkland (Anna), Barry Primus (Night Games), June Wilkinson (Macumba Love) and Don Calfa (The Return of the Living Dead).

Distributed by Kino Lorber!

scopion_oct.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Kino Insider, would you guys ever consider licensing from MGM The Long Wait (1954) with Anthony Quinn and Charles Coburn, The Naked Street (1955) with Anthony Quinn, Farley Granger and Anne Bancroft, and Nightmare (1956) with Edward G. Robinson and Kevin McCarthy? Love all the Noir films you guys have released and I've been craving some more.

None of these are currently on our radar.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
11/5 Naked Alibi (1954) | It Always Rains on Sunday (1947) | Seven Days to Noon (1950) | The Man Between (1953) | Woman in Hiding (1950) 11/12 The Gun Runners (1958) | Madigan (1968) | Charley Varrick (1973) | Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (1974) | Return to Macon County (1975) | Street People (1976) | Winter Kills (1979) 11/19 Un Flic (1972) | Diabolically Yours (1967) | Farewell, Friend (1968) | Someone Behind the Door (1971) 11/26 The Holly and the Ivy (1952) | Christmas in July (1940) | The Pink Panther Cartoons Vol. 6 (1978-80)

klsc.jpg

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Charlie Varrick - Nov 12th
Christmas In July - Nov 26

I’m very happy.

Still waiting for dates for
The Great McGinty
Murder, He Says

Other titles I want have been pushed into 2020

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The Hitchcock set will now only include [The Ring (1927)/The Farmer's Wife (1928)/Champagne (1928)/The Manxman (1929)/The Skin Game (1931)] and should be also released in November. Number Seventeen and Rich and Strange will be out in 2020.

Is Juno and the Paycock not available for licensing? It seems to be the only one of the British International Pictures titles that hasn't had any proper release worldwide.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Is Juno and the Paycock not available for licensing? It seems to be the only one of the British International Pictures titles that hasn't had any proper release worldwide

Actually it has ..... sort of. It's featured as a "bonus" on the French DVD of the 1934 The Man Who Knew Too Much. The Juno elements are in rough shape and clearly in need of major restoration but it's watchable. The disc copyright shows Universal (and the disc bears the Universal logo) but I'm not sure if that exends to Juno too or just TMWKTM.

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I didn't realize 'Murder, He Says' wasn't out yet. Explains why I couldn't find it during the sale.

Happy to see Charlie Varrick on the way. I watched that on TCM a few years ago and enjoyed it despite it seemingly drawing mixed opinions from people and being a box office disappointment according to Wikipedia (And I think Robert Osborne with his introduction that night said that Walter Matthau hated it).

I don't buy many 1970's movies, but I'll pick that one up. Oddly enough I think the only other 70's movie I own from Kino is another Matthau movie, The Taking of Pelham.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I didn't realize 'Murder, He Says' wasn't out yet. Explains why I couldn't find it during the sale.

Happy to see Charlie Varrick on the way. I watched that on TCM a few years ago and enjoyed it despite it seemingly drawing mixed opinions from people and being a box office disappointment according to Wikipedia (And I think Robert Osborne with his introduction that night said that Walter Matthau hated it).

I don't buy many 1970's movies, but I'll pick that one up. Oddly enough I think the only other 70's movie I own from Kino is another Matthau movie, The Taking of Pelham.
Charlie Varrick has been out on Blu-ray disc in the U.K. for a long time. I'm assuming this new disc will use the same very good transfer. You're going to be pleased with your purchase!

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming to DVD and Blu-ray October 15th from Kino Classics!

THE BLOODY BROOD (1959)
Directed by Julian Roffman
With Jack Betts, Peter Falk, Barbara Lord

Two years before directing the 3-D cult favorite The Mask (1961), Julian Roffman made his feature directorial debut with this early canuxploitation film, The Bloody Brood (1959). When his brother turns up dead after eating a hamburger laced with ground glass, Cliff (Jack Betts) sets out to investigate the murder, venturing into the underground world of beatnik culture and its sinister underbelly of drugs and vice. Peter Falk (TV’s Columbo) makes his feature debut as Nico, sinister mentor and drug-dealer to the tuned-in kids of the beat generation. This 60th anniversary release has been newly mastered from archival 35mm elements, and showcases the moody cinematography of d.p. Eugen Schüfftan, who would two years later win an Academy Award® for his cinematography on The Hustler (1961, Best Cinematography, Black-and-White). — Jason Pichonsky

SPECIAL FEATURES
• “Beatniks and Broken Glass: Remembering The Bloody Brood” (2019, 16 min.)
• Audio Commentary by Paul Corupe of Canuxploitation.com and Film Historian Jason Pichonsky
• FDR Hyde Park (1949, 16 min., directed by Julian Roffman) with commentary by the director’s son, Peter Roffman
• Freedom To Read (1954, 14 min., directed by Julian Roffman)
• Theatrical trailer

BLOODY BROOD blueband.jpg

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
KinoInsider, would you guys ever consider releasing the early Ken Loach films Poor Cow (1967) and Family Life (1971) if you struck another StudioCanal deal? They've never been released before in the US.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming to DVD and Blu-ray October 22nd from Kino Classics!

The Eagle (1925)
Directed by Clarence Brown
Starring Rudolph Valentino

In a departure from his onscreen persona of Latin lover, silent-era sex symbol Rudolph Valentino delivered one of the most nuanced and powerful performances of his career in this epic romance set in 18th-century Russia, directed by Clarence Brown (Flesh and the Devil, Anna Karenina). Valentino stars as Vladimir Dubrovsky, a lieutenant in the Imperial Guard who becomes a fugitive after he rejects the amorous attentions of the Czarina Catherine II (Louise Dresser).

SPECIAL FEATURES
• 2K Restoration from 35mm material
• New musical score composed and performed by Alloy Orchestra
• Audio commentary by film historian Gaylyn Studlar

EAGLE blueband.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks