What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (37 Viewers)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The upcoming list is outstanding, and I am forever grateful that FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO (Billy Wilder) and BEAU GESTE, ICEMAN and LIVES OF THE BENGAL LANCERS are coming, among other gems.

Does this, then, constitute the complete list of forthcoming Universal titlesfrom Kino? I Still pine for MIRAGE, CAPTAIN NEWMAN, M.D., THE CAT AND THE CANARY (1939), THE GHOST BREAKERS, AFFLICTION, THE FAR COUNTRY, FLOWER DRUM SONG, HOLD THAT GHOST, MARY, QUEEN OF SCOTS (1971), PRIMARY COLORS, W.C. FIELDS TITLES, and about a dozen more. But, damn, these Kino announcements are certainly reducing my wish list! Many thanks!

A question: Will the Kino release of THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS be the full, unedited, 98-minute edition, rather than the 84-min. edition recently available on the DVD?

Last edited:

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Just looking at this list left me speechless. So many desert island discs, holy grails and whatnot are coming in the next few months. I've always despaired of the fact I'm not able to see excellent examples of the Paramount studio look, in both cinematography and art direction, from the 1930's & 40's. Films photographed by Charles Lang, Leo Tover and Victor Milner, as well as more examples of John Seitz' work; films like DEATH TAKES A HOLIDAY, LOVE ME TONIGHT, THE GENERAL DIES AT DAWN, ANGEL, EASY LIVING, FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO and A FOREIGN AFFAIR. Or that incredibly glossy and fantastic look of the Road pictures as created by Ted Tetzlaff and Lionel Lindon; they're all coming as well. And all these other films I've been pining for, but never expected to own a decent Blu-Ray of; DOCTOR CYCLOPS, THE GREAT MCGINTY, REAP THE WILD WIND, a number of Anthony Mann films including BEND OF THE RIVER, a couple of European productions from the late 60's I never thought would make it to Blu: THE CHAMPAGNE MURDERS and SECRET CEREMONY, and some serious must haves from the 70's as well: CHARLEY VARRICK & ULZANA'S RAID. Sure, there are films I was hoping to see that aren't on the list, but this is such a boon to lovers of classic cinema; there's so much on that list that I want and have been waiting for, I'll be much too busy watching these gems to even think about anything else. All I can say is, may whatever Higher Power anyone wishes to invoke eternally bless Kino.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
A fantastic release schedule. Thank you very much KL.
I would love to purchase a French film called Les Ripoux ( and it’s sequels).
Is this film on your release schedule for the future?
Thank you in advance

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
That's an awesome lineup of future releases. I'm going to be broke this coming year.

Yup, an amazing list. I didn't know that The Great McGinty (1940) & Five Graves To Cairo (1943) were included, but so much stuff is being released it's easy to miss a title or two. I looked at my DVD of The Great McGinty the other week, a nigh on perfect film & Brian Donlevy's finest hour.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I was wondering when Mississippi Burning would be confirmed for a release date? I didn’t see it on the list. I passed on the TT release and the new scan sounds very promising!

The confirmed released are amazing. Quite a few titles, especially the pre 1950s films that I never thought would see the light of day.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I was wondering when Mississippi Burning would be confirmed for a release date? I didn’t see it on the list. I passed on the TT release and the new scan sounds very promising!

The confirmed released are amazing. Quite a few titles, especially the pre 1950s films that I never thought would see the light of day.
I'd Like to know about Mississippi Burning, too. I'm working on a "Bonus Features" project for it and the stuff you can find on YouTube is quite amazing.

Reactions: PMF

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The upcoming list is outstanding, and I am forever grateful that FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO (Billy Wilder) and BEAU GESTE, ICEMAN and LIVES OF THE BENGAL LANCERS are coming, among other gems.

Does this, then, constitute the complete list of forthcoming Universal titlesfrom Kino?

There still are about a dozen titles unannounced from the Universal deal from across several decades.

Including:
about four more Bob Hope titles
another Preston Sturges film
A few spaghetti westerns

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider

Does this, then, constitute the complete list of forthcoming Universal titlesfrom Kino? I Still pine for MIRAGE, CAPTAIN NEWMAN, M.D., THE CAT AND THE CANARY (1939), THE GHOST BREAKERS, AFFLICTION, THE FAR COUNTRY, FLOWER DRUM SONG, HOLD THAT GHOST, MARY, QUEEN OF SCOTS (1971), PRIMARY COLORS, W.C. FIELDS TITLES, and about a dozen more. But, damn, these Kino announcements are certainly reducing my wish list! Many thanks!

A question: Will the Kino release of THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS be the full, unedited, 98-minute edition, rather than the 84-min. edition recently available on the DVD?

We have 99 films in this current deal. The guy who shared the list from the other forum left off the bottom part of it:

Still to be confirmed be decade. This current deal ended up being 99 films.
1930s - 1
1940s - 7
1950s - 4
1960s - 4
1980s - 3
1990s - 1

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider

The list is just the Universal releases. The new 4K restoration of Mississippi Burning is scheduled for June 18.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Are you able to reveal/hint about when Charley Varrick will be released?

Also, is The Silent Partner still scheduled for May 28?

Also, for the Universal titles list, is the expectation that they will be 2019 releases? Or are some planned for 2020 or beyond?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks