What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (8 Viewers)

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming Soon on DVD and Blu-ray!
Brand New 2K Master!

Losin' It (1983) Starring Tom Cruise, Shelley Long, Jackie Earle Haley, John Stockwell, Henry Darrow, Rick Rossovich and Joe Spinell - Shot by Gilbert Taylor (Star Wars, Flash Gordon) - Screenplay by Bill Norton (Convoy, Back to the Beach) - Directed by Curtis Hanson (L.A. Confidential, Wonder Boys).

losin.jpg

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Coming to DVD and Blu-ray December 4th via Kino Classics:

THE ATOMIC CAFE (1982)
New 4K Restoration!

Armageddon has never been so darkly funny as in THE ATOMIC CAFE. This 1982 cult classic juxtaposes Cold War history, propaganda, music and culture, seamlessly crafted from government-produced educational and training films, newsreels and advertisements. Taken together, these sources cheerily instruct the public on how to live in the Atomic Age, how to survive a nuclear attack and how to fight and win a nuclear war. Returning to home video in a sparkling 4K restoration created by IndieCollect, THE ATOMIC CAFE is an absurdist blast from the past that remains startlingly relevant.

Bonus Features:
*Selection of Government Propaganda Films (Courtesy of The Prelinger Archives)

*Filmwax Radio Interview with filmmakers Kevin Rafferty, Jayne Loader, and Pierce Rafferty

*Audio Excerpts from Jayne Loader's CD-ROM project "PUBLIC SHELTER" (1995)

*Trailer

View attachment 50576

I've owned the DVD of this for ages, and had the Thorn/EMI VHS before that. It's a really funny/scary documentary about life during the nuclear age, and those of us over sixty will identify with the "Duck and Cover" exercises we terrified kids had to endure in school. Never suspected a Blu-ray of this would happen, but thanks, Kino.

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
GHOST OF SIERRA DE COBRE due out October 16 was removed from the KINO website. The listing on DiabolikDvd says cancelled by the company, and blu-ray listings have been removed elsewhere, although dvd still shows as available. Whappen???

Last edited:

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
GHOST OF SIERRA DE COBRE due out October 16 was removed from the KINO website. The listing on DiabolikDvd says cancelled by the company, and blu-ray listings have been removed elsewhere, although dvd still shows as available. Whappen???

Amazon simply has the release date pushed back to Oct. 30.

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Amazon simply has the release date pushed back to Oct. 30.
Would KINO remove the listing from its own website if it was merely delayed??? My copy should have shipped from a store which has copies, but they held it back. We'll see. Maybe someone could inquire on the Kino FB page (I dont have a FB acct).

Last edited:

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Would KINO remove the listing from its own website if it was merely delayed??? My copy should have shipped from a store which has copies, but they held it back. We'll see. Maybe someone could inquire on the Kino FB page (I dont have a FB acct).

I'm kinda hoping KL Insider will weigh in here on this apparently significant development.... :unsure:

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
FWIW, Creepy Classics (which always seems to get genre titles at least a week ahead of Street Date) already has Sierra de Cobre listed as available via its shop. I placed an order and will update here if I get any kind of delay (or worse) notice from them.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Speaking of creepy, any info on any of the 3 titles I previously mentioned?:
Cat And The Canary (1978); Creature (1985); Dream demon (1988)

Got a (internet-less) friend who keeps asking abt the last one in particular.

Last edited:

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I would love for Kino to get their hands on some of Uni's high-profile catalog still MIA in hi-def. By the way - the Road pictures, I cannot wait for. Many thanks.

Would love to see some Abbott and Costello find its way to Kino, starting with Hold That Ghost, The Time of Their Lives, and Who Done It?

Ditto for Deanna Durbin: 100 Men and A Girl would be most welcome: also, Christmas Holiday, Can't Help Singing

Also some Mae West - Belle of the Nineties, I'm No Angel, My Little Chickadee, Klondike Annie, Goin' to Town

Also, in no particular order:
Sweet Charity
Flower Drum Song
Tammy and the Bachelor
The Heiress
The Major and the Minor
The Sign of the Cross
Union Pacific
Shenandoah
Destry Rides Again
Black Angel
Naked City
Ma and Pa Kettle
Playgirl
Beau Geste
The Spoilers
The Tattered Dress
Written on the Wind
Portrait in Black
Madame X
Thoroughly Modern Millie
and a new 4K of Field of Dreams - it currently looks atrocious on Blu-ray

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
FWIW, Creepy Classics (which always seems to get genre titles at least a week ahead of Street Date) already has Sierra de Cobre listed as available via its shop. I placed an order and will update here if I get any kind of delay (or worse) notice from them.

Have you looked for it on the site lately?

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Yes, very disappointing. Amazon still has their listing up with Oct 30th release date. Deep Discount claims to have the DVD "In Stock" with release date tomorrow. Of course, it has disappeared from KL Studio Classics website.

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Written on the Wind is almost certainly coming from Criterion, and probably very soon. Maybe even in today's announcements.

The Heiress would be fantastic.

I believe Criterion has The Heiress; I'm only guessing from a photo that Criterion posted on one of their social media accounts of their library of different titles. I believe that I spotted the Universal DVD of The Heiress in that photo, if I'm not mistaken.

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I’ve been looking, and I haven’t seen anything from KL about this.

Where did you see this?

Sorry, it was an email reply from the company earlier today:

Unfortunately the release has just been cancelled
at the Studio's request due to rights issues.
No other information is available at this time.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Have you looked for it on the site lately?

Yes, I see they've now also pulled it from the Creepy Classics site -- but I'm still awaiting a notice (and/or a refund/credit) from them.

This is the 3rd time that comes to mind within the last couple of years that anticipated titles via Kino have been pulled due to apparent rights snafus (the others being 1964's Witchcraft and 1953's I, the Jury in 3D). This isn't to point the finger of blame at Kino (I blame the studios/rights-holders), but I imagine Kino will find it necessary to ensure all contractual paperwork going forward is bulletproof before promoting a title.

The most frustrating thing to me about these situations is that they don't simply result in a delay while parties return to the negotiating table... they result in a "Never mind..." <_<

Dave Blair

Agent
Real Name
David Blair
I think the rights for the Ronald Colman Zenda are with Warner, possibly because of MGM remaking it with Stewart Granger (similar to the two versions of Show Boat that are with Warner because of the MGM remake).
Warner has released these films as a double feature on both Laserdisc and DVD. The Stewart Granger version uses the same script and is almost a shot by shot remake of Coleman’s version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks