What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (19 Viewers)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yeah, I never would have dreamed we would have gotten What's So Bad About Feeling Good? before Thoroughly Modern Millie, but I'm not complaining. It will be great to see it again after so many decades.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Thelma Ritter's first film "Miracle On 34th Street" and last "What's So Bad About Feeling Good" were directed by George Seaton. She basically has one or two lines in "What's So Bad .."

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming 2021!

Brand New 2K Master!

Rosebud (1975)
Starring Peter O’Toole, Richard Attenborough, Cliff Gorman, Peter Lawford, Raf Vallone, Adrienne Corri, Isabelle Huppert & Kim Cattrall – Shot by Denys N. Coop (Billy Liar, 10 Rillington Place) – Directed by Otto Preminger (Laura, Carmen Jones, Anatomy of a Murder, Advise & Consent, The Human Factor).

Image may contain: one or more people, text that says 'Rosebud An Otto Preminger Film PETER O'TOOLE RICHARD ATTENBOROUGH CLIFF GORMAN CLAUDE DAUPHIN JOHN V.LINDSAY PETER LAWFORD and RAF VALLONE GEORGE NIKOLAOS co-starring ADRIENNE CORRI AMIDOU YOSEF SHILOA BRIGITTE ARIEL ISABELLE HUPPERT LALLAWARD KIM CATTRALL DEBRA BERGER Directed Produced Lee Preminge Based the oan Hemingway and Paul Bonnecarrere PGPRENTAL_GUIDANCESUGGESTED COLOR Deluxe® Filmed in Panavision® United Artısts TransamericaCorporatior 75/86 ROSEBUD'

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming 2021!

Brand New 2K Master!

Rosebud (1975)
Starring Peter O’Toole, Richard Attenborough, Cliff Gorman, Peter Lawford, Raf Vallone, Adrienne Corri, Isabelle Huppert & Kim Cattrall – Shot by Denys N. Coop (Billy Liar, 10 Rillington Place) – Directed by Otto Preminger (Laura, Carmen Jones, Anatomy of a Murder, Advise & Consent, The Human Factor).

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
I remember the reviews were scathing.

Sure there are ridiculous aspects (including fmr NYC Mayor John Lindsey's attempt at acting) but in the main it's a decent timewaster and definitely of interest to fans of terrorism movies.

That said, I already have the perfectly nice DVD so I won't be upgrading.

Here's to Kino devoting a bit more of a focus on never-released-on-homevid titles.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Sure there are ridiculous aspects (including fmr NYC Mayor John Lindsey's attempt at acting) but in the main it's a decent timewaster and definitely of interest to fans of terrorism movies.

That said, I already have the perfectly nice DVD so I won't be upgrading.

Here's to Kino devoting a bit more of a focus on never-released-on-homevid titles.
If only it came bundled with Theodore Gershuny’s excellent fly on the wall book about its turbulent production and reception. It’s streamed but I don’t think it’s been available on US disc. Film debuts of Kim Cattrall and Isabelle Huppert I believe but while Preminger could still spot talent at this time he couldn’t capitalize on it.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
If only it came bundled with Theodore Gershuny’s excellent fly on the wall book about its turbulent production and reception. It’s streamed but I don’t think it’s been available on US disc. Film debuts of Kim Cattrall and Isabelle Huppert I believe but while Preminger could still spot talent at this time he couldn’t capitalize on it.
Huppert had been featured in Cesar and Rosalie and Going Places, among other productions, prior to Rosebud. I don't recall seeing Rosebud.
Huppert plays a teenager with baby fat intact in Cesar and Rosalie, a film I saw not long ago, and I gasped when I recognized her.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
P.S. On the "What's So Bad About Feeling Good," news release; it mentions that it's in 2K. Can the more technically knowledgeable tell me what that means as opposed to 4K? I know that 4K is twice as good as 2K, but any other comments might be helpful. Were they unable to get a better master reel to scan from?

James

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Rosebud is indeed a curiousity...but not uninteresting. John V. Lindsay did better playing Mayor Lindseed on the Batman series. It has an amazing cast. Catrall and Huppert were very young. But theres also Brigitte Ariel who played Edith Piaf in Piaf The Early Years a year before Rodsebud and more than 30 years before Marion Collitard won the Oscar for playing her. The U.S....through the forebearer of Fox Searchlight( RIP)...got Piaf The Early years in 1982 thru 20th Century Fix International Classics

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
P.S. On the "What's So Bad About Feeling Good," news release; it mentions that it's in 2K. Can the more technically knowledgeable tell me what that means as opposed to 4K? I know that 4K is twice as good as 2K, but any other comments might be helpful. Were they unable to get a better master reel to scan from?

James

It’s not really a matter of one being inherently better than the other. It depends what the source material is and what the final output format will be.

Very generally speaking:

“2K” refers to a digital image having two thousand lines of resolution. “4K” would be four thousand lines.

35mm original film elements like original camera negatives are capable of containing the equivalent of roughly 3-4 thousand lines of resolution. But that doesn’t mean that all films have that level of detail. A variety of factors, from choice of lenses to film stocks used and lab work and other things can reduce that number substantially. An actual 35mm film print an audience would see projected at a theater has much less resolution in practice, between generation loss from going from the camera negative to positive prints to what lenses the projectors used and other factors. It’s been estimated that film prints had closer to a thousand lines of resolution. (This is why sometimes you might notice things on a Blu-ray that you never saw in theaters back in the film days, like makeup and wigs being more obvious or set extensions looking more obviously fake. The Blu-ray is capable of showing more detail than older 35mm prints were, and seams that filmmakers thought were hidden all of a sudden start showing up.)

So, in theory, for most films, a 2K scan is going to have more detail than what audiences actually saw at their theater back when the movie was new.

Blu-rays and HDTVs have slightly less than two thousand lines of resolution, so a good Blu-ray can be perfectly wonderful from either a 2K or a 4K scan.

As for why a studio would opt for one over the other, 4K by definition has more data than 2K, which can add substantially to both the cost of mastering the film and the amount of time it takes to do that work, and based on how much information the film has on it originally and what the final product is meant to be, there just might not be any real upside to the consumer, while it may run up costs for the studio.

Hope that makes sense! :)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
It doesn't matter if it's 2K or 4K if the source isn't good. 2K is fine for anything coming from an IP, which I'm sure this is. I do love that everyone here is acting like What's So Bad About Feeling Good is like getting Citizen Kane and that it's a masterpiece. I just watched it two weeks ago - the most amusing thing about it is the stuff about the virus being airborne and that everyone in NY rather than catch it is wearing - masks. Who knew how prescient this film was. :) I also like the title song and the kooky number on the rooftop, which was staged by Michael Bennett. Of course, I'll have to have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marv74BR
Recent bookmarks