What's new

kind of dumb question on Dolby Digital and 5.1 on old receivers (1 Viewer)

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
Excuse my ignorance but here it goes...Ok as I was reading some specs on older recievers I noticed some listed as 5 channel receievers , meaning they had the ability to put 5 speakers on there yet they didn't have Dolby Digital and some were only DD ready.

Are these receivers not 5.1 then even though they have the capability of having the 5 speakers connected with the sub?

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
For of all, if they have 5 channels, they are at most 5.0, not 5.1.

If it has 5 preamp inputs (phono jacks), you can certainly do the DD decoding in the DVD player, and connect it to the receiver using 5 analog cables. Not every DVD player can do this, but many can.

If the receiver doesn't have multichannel peramp inputs and also doesn't decode DD, then I can't think of anything you can do.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Older "DD Ready" receivers like mine generally have a 5.1 input. They run exactly the same as current receivers with a 5.1 external input for something like DVD-Audio. Most are analog only with Digital Processing only used for DSP modes and DPL on the stereo analog L/R inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks