What's new

Kid's DVD player......let's get cheap!! (1 Viewer)

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
You know how it works:

Upgrade to main HT.....old stuff to bedroom HT.

I am looking for recomendations for a cheap DVD player for the kid's game/play room.

Video quality is not that important.

Interlaced only is fine.

No need for DD/DTS processing.

Simplicity is a plus.

Durability also a plus.

Obviously, whistles and bells are not needed either.

Just the basics.....what do yopu recommend?

Chip E

Screenwriter
If you have a Best Buy near you they have a number of players for less than $150.00. There's a Pioneer for like $129.00....

PaulKH

Second Unit
Buy a used or older player off eBay. All Toshiba models will be good enough.

If you don't want used or older, get the cheapest player at Best Buy. None of them are THAT bad.

Tiffany A

Stunt Coordinator
Some Grocery stores in our area have them for $59.00! Do you have a COSTCO or SAM"S Card? Very inexpensive with good name brands!

Vasanth B

Stunt Coordinator
I'd try to stay away from the sub-$100 players. Your best bet is a Toshiba, Pioneer or Panasonic lower-end model. I have had good experience with the Panasonic RV-31. It plays MP3s as well as CD-Rs/CD-RWs.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Just go to Wal-Mart and buy one of their $89 Apex dvd players. These players even play mp3s!

It's cheap, but still much better than VHS!!

Luis A

Second Unit
David,
Don't get your kids a cheap DVD player just cause "their kids". I got my girls a Toshiba SD-6200 for their room, and they love it. They have lived with a 27" tv for over a year now so a Mits WT46807 (I got it from a friend for a $1000.00) is being delivered by Santa for X-MAS. They have a small HT set up consisting of a Denon AVR3802, 4 DefTech BP-2006 towers, a C/L/R 2003, and a Prosub 200 in a 12X19X9 room. They really enjoy playing PS2 on it as well, and friends come over to watch movies all the time (my 7 year old doesn't allow P&S btw). My point is kids are "kids" for a short time, and when they get older, instead of feeling jipped, they'll think back and appriciate that their daddy provided the best for them. I'm not saying you have to spend alot of money, but you can p/u a Tosh SD-3705 at Best Buy for about $199.00. Thats dirt cheap IMO. Anyway, thats my .02 cents :)

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Although I don't provide a full surround setup for my kid (she's only 3), I gave my daughter a Pioneer DV-05 DVD player and a Toshiba 20" flatscreen TV.

Oh, and she's REALLY into widescreen too (she complains that "the movie is wrong" if it is not in widescreen).

My point being is, don't buy cheap stuff just because they're kids. But the low-end from major brands are good, though. Just not those Walmart specials.

Bob Christensen

Stunt Coordinator
If you have a Sears nearby, check out their current specials on their DVD players. They have at least 2 Toshibas under $200, one for $139, and will price match any online prices ;)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Vasanth. Stay away from sub-$100 DVD players. Chip and Albert made a good suggestion with the Pioneer DV-341 for $130. I'd also look at the Pioneer DV-440, as Eugene suggested. You can get it for less than $190. My local Best Buy had it yesterday for $160 ($180 less a $20 instant rebate). It's a nice looking player. It's small at only 2.25" tall, and as Eugene said, it plays MP3-encoded CDs.

Also, there was some talk here last week that Amazon was blowing out either the Pioneer DV-333 or DV-343 for $99. Both models have been discontinued, but they are good players. When current, they sold for $160-200 at most stores. Maybe Amazon still has whichever model for $99.

Nick L

Second Unit
For an inexpensive DVD player I would buy an apex, they do a good job building nice dvd players for little cash. They have even won awards for there dvd players before. I believe they have one that will play mp3's and burned cd's for about $130.

Nick L

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks