What's new

Kickstart my heart <3 (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Sam Posten said:
Brace yourselves for a new wave of charitable causes begging you to support their Indiegogo campaigns:
http://thenextweb.com/insider/2014/12/15/indiegogo-launches-life-fee-free-crowdfunding-site-personal-causes/
I'm okay with it. There are some people that genuinely need help that fall outside of regular charity. As far as scammers go, it's going to happen regardless. It's up to you to do the research and make sure your money is actually helping.

On another note, for the people who have participated in KS/IndieGoGo projects, how have you felt they work out? Anyone get burned? Did a product ship that ended up being pants instead of the dream promised. Every thing work out great? I'm just curious is all. For myself, pretty near everything has been great and exactly as promised. the latest, Neil Youngs PONO, works just as promised, with only some of the sorting/platform software being a bit crap, but fixable with future patches when it launches retail in Jan/Feb of next year.

The only Kickstarter that has been a bit garbage was the "Honest Liar" James Randi documentary. They finished the film, it's getting rave reviews at festivals all over the world, and the supporters are still waiting on their downloads and blu-rays. It's aired on the BBC, and we still are waiting on the blu-rays. Maybe next year they will show up, but it's still bullshit.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm not sure of a point of protocol. I have a new book out. Am I allowed to start a thread and plug it with a link to Amazon? Or is there a thread for plugs like that? Or is shameless promotion off limits? Thanks.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Hi Alan, for a long term poster I think it's fine if you start a new thread that says "I've got a new book out" and post a link to Amazon, in AHL. If you wanted you could start a thread that says "Shameless self promotion encouraged in this thread" and I think that would be kind of a hoot for long term memories here to see the accomplishments our members make over time...

Obviously we'd need to limit it to members real active posting histories and to solo projects and not business endeavors, but I think it could work.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The first KS project that I backed was D-Day Dice, which turned out really great -- the components were top-notch. Then I dropped $125 on the Up Front remake, from the same people. . . Here's one of many lengthy threads on the issue: The Time for Patience and Negotiation Is Over! (Long story short. . .the creator was in the process of being sued by someone he owed hundreds of thousands of dollars to, didn't mention it to anyone, and when the court froze the company's assets, he moved to Australia.) I've backed a few other projects that are technically way overdue (I think Teramyyd: Earthsphere is the longest-running at this point), but I am relatively confident that they will all come to fruition since the creators have been posting regular updates and/ or are known to be trustworthy. The biggest, most expensive one, Cthulhu Wars, is on the boat as we type!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That foldio looks really nice. I do a little ebaying; I'll have to consider it. Or just steal the LED light strip idea for my crude light box :)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
My favourite independent dvd company, Vinegar Syndrome are getting into the streaming game and offering an indiegogo to get it to happen sooner than later. 200+ exploitation films to be offered in HD, from g rated to hardcore. Some here might be interested.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/vinegarsyndrome-tv-instant-digital-exploitation/

Even if you're not interested in their content, the video is pretty cool to see all the restoration equipment they use. :)

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Todd J Moore said:
Would it be cheesy of me to mention that I started a Kickstarter campaign for a 3D movie I want to make in the spring? Here's the campaign link for those that would be amused to take a look:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1987433891/tales-of-the-dark-avenger-star-witness-in-3d

If this is inappropriate and the moderators want to zap it or want me to do a separate thread for it (or not do it at all), that's cool.
Todd,
Thanks for asking. Your post is fine. HTF has the current approach: Established, participatory members can post a link to their Kickstarter campaign here, as part of this thread. If this turns into a spam target, HTF will reverse its trial policy.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I backed ya Todd but you have a hard hard hard road ahead of you for your goal. $75k is a big sum unless you have a community of folks who already know you that you can count on to come out of the woodwork for support. Best of luck on your progress!

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
Actually, it's $25K and yeah, even that might be a lot. I can always try it again on Indiegogo and/or GoFundMe if push comes to shove or modify if to only $10K or something. But we're gonna try this here thing.

I can say this about my film: I'm shooting it in genuine 3D and I'm an old school 3D type. That means a decent amount of depth and a decent number of gimmick shots. Look at it as a cross between 50s levels of depth and 80s level of goofy gimmickness (though no yo-yos or popcorn coming out of the screen--even I'm not that corny!).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattbuffalo
Recent bookmarks