Kickstart my heart <3 (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sam Posten said:
I usually do things around the $25 level, but the most I've ever spent was on Wasteland 2, the sequel to my favorite game of all time: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2 Why did I spend so much? So I get to be a CHARACTER in the game! HOW FREAKING COOL IS THAT?!?!?! Please post the ones you guys find and are tempted to join and/or inspired by!
Finally got a shot of me in the game, friend of mine found me before I did. wasteland2-Sam by Kadath, on Flickr

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
DaveF said:
In some cases, they tried and failed on KS, so they go to IGG?
Well Jeez, as a user seeing something already failed on KS that means it's poison, what would convince me to support it on a consumer weaker system? It's like asking to lose.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I disagree with that almost completely David. Can you point to some real success stories on IGG compared to the legion of them big and small on KS?

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The last time I checked and admittedly it has been quite a while, the percentage of creative media projects was considerably higher on IndieGoGo. And while many filmmakers use Kickstarter including the high profile "success" stories, IndieGoGo seems better thought of in the true indie community. I have helped fund several Kickstarters and prefer it myself. I did support Skybell through IndieGoGo though.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Not a chance. Or rather, not like you hope.Key detail at the verge: requires conductive surface.http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/21/7025197/i-rode-a-real-hoverboardAs I push off for my first time on an actual working hoverboard, the first thought in my mind is not how different it is from how Michael J. Fox did it in Back To The Future Part II — which is obviously just a movie. It’s whether or not I’m going to immediately go face-first into this large, copper-lined floor. It’s also sinking in that this highly experimental skateboard required signing a liability waiver, and that there are several people positioned around me whose sole job it is to make sure I and their $10,000 prototype don’t go flying out of control.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The key point: you're pre-ordering a product from a company with a prototype. You're making a multiple bet:They can go from prototype to product.They can scale up from nothing to significant volume with no prior manufacturing experience. They chose financially realistic rewards.I have no doubt that some projects would be more successful with less money; scaling up is very difficult.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I backed one project -- a remake of the classic Up Front card game -- where the creator (whose previous KS project turned out great) absconded to Australia with the money. Some people lost hundreds on that one.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've backed only one of these types of projects: The "Skullgirls" fighting game on Indigogo. And I only did that because one of the funding goals was the development team behind "Fighting is Magic" would receive a license to use the "Skullgirls" engine in their game. "Fighting is Magic" was a fan game that was C&D'd by Hasbro for using Hasbro characters. The development team behind the fan game could have broke up but they decided to try revamping the game with the help of Lauren Faust, the showrunner behind the first season (and part of the second) of MLP:FiM; however, they needed access to a better graphics engine. That is where the "Skullgirls" team came in. Fund them to a certain goal and the other guys got use of the "Skullgirls" engine gratis.

Frankly, I don't know why I decided to contribute. I'm not really a generous person by nature. Outside of family gift giving and help from family members, I have never had anything handed to me. I've had to work for anything I wanted, so it is weird that I would decide to contribute to a campaign for people I didn't even know; however, I figured that if they decided not to pack it in after the C&D then they at least deserved a shot at completing their project with a decent graphics engine, so I contributed. The amount was small, a hundred bucks, but it did help reach the goal. That was it. Last I heard they were still working on their revamped game.

Edit: Actually, I wasn't quite truthful. I backed one other project before things like "Kickstarter" and "Indigogo" ever existed. I was a contributor to a campaign to get the "The Irresponsible Captain Tylor" anime series released subbed and dubbed on DVD. I still have the T-shirt from that one,along with the DVD box set that was given to every contributor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks