What's new

Kickstart my heart <3 (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Just to be absolutely clear, because people have asked: It is not a condom. It is made of hard plastic and metal. If you attempt to use it as a condom, you will definitely hurt yourself, and you may experience the miracle of life.

:D

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I find it kind of hard to believe that they couldn't get financing through normal channels for a sequel to a movie that's been on regular rotation on basic cable for a decade.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Has anyone here used KS or Gofundme to get financial help with anything?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
More specifically, this would be for a family member who needs help with a medical situation.

I see that KS is more for literally kstarting a business venture.

Sam why don't you like GFM?
I'm guessing because many people use it just to get money, although there was the potato salad guy on KS.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Sam Posten said:
The awesome folks at Broken Lizard are making Super Troopers 2! YAAAAAAY.

And then they made the fing ridiculous decision to do it on IndieGoGo instead of Kickstarter. Flexible Funding is such bullshit and is the WORST for backers.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/super-troopers-2
Reading the IndieGoGo campaign page, the real problem is that there is no indication of what they intend to do for backers IF they DON'T hit their goal. If you are going to go with the Flexible Funding option, the incentives, especially at the lower end, should be items you can actually offer in the event the campaign is a bust. Asking for $30 in exchange for a digital download for a movie that may or may not get made is asking for trouble. Granted, they already achieved their minimal goal, so the movie WILL likely get made, but still, any incentives that are offering some form of completed product should offer something else in return, in writing, in case the goal is not achieved. Placing a disclaimer in the FAQ does not count, in my opinion.

Where I see flexible funding working out is, perhaps, during the early pre-production stages for a film where you are asking for development funds, and be upfront about it, while at the same time, let the backers know that if you exceed your goal, it could result in the film actually getting made.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
On a related note, there was an update on the formerly ironically titled Up Front project just the other day. It basically said "we've settled our lawsuit, as a result have no money, and are talking to other publishers about what we could maybe do."

Who'd'a thunk it?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Here's some very cool SF art:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cabinetentertainment/simon-stalenhags-tales-from-the-loop

re: the Up Front Kickstarter, interestingly, the same week as that new update, a print-on-demand outfit announced that they'd contracted with Hasbro to sell sets of cards and unpunched cardstock countersheets for the game. I don't know what this means, but I have to assume it's somehow related. (Not directly relevant to me, though, as I have a copy of the original edition of the game.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks