What's new

Kickstart my heart <3 (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
A good friend of mine just launched a page on indiegogo to raise funds to open his 3D museum, 3-D Space, here in Los Angeles.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/3-d-space-stereoscopic-3-d-museum

Eric Kurland was one of the 3D historians interviewed on the House of Wax documentary, and was instrumental in saving the restoration work completed on Inferno from being tossed in the garbage when it was offered up in an estate sale.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I wish them the best of luck with that one but I see some immediate huge red flags. $75k downpayment on a $3m need seems like an awful small lance to hit a pretty big windmill. I'd be a lot more confident if they were on Kickstarter too where you need at least the confidence of hitting a minimum goal before anyone gets charged.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I like how the post refers to having "delivered the CLANG prototype and other donor rewards, as promised," but not as much as the announcement that he plans to launch future KS projects!

I've seen worse "we're cancelling the project" posts, but still. . .

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
DaveF said:
Does Kickstarter enforce its refund policy for failed projects?
DaveF said:
From the Polygon article:"It's worth noting that according to Kickstarter's Terms of Use, project creators are legally required to fulfill all rewards and promises of their projects or offer refunds in return."And answering it:"...with Kickstarter itself refusing to step up and take any action against those who default on their promises, it's up to backers to begin being much more discerning about what they're putting money toward."
Sam Posten said:
I guess if enough users are ripped off, and a few States' AG's file suit, Kickstarter will start to maybe sort of think of enforcing their policy?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Trying to think about how that would affect Fire and SWAT responses... Could result in significantly more home destruction in those cases.

My pappy always told me locks only keep the honest people out anyway....

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Adding difficulty and noise, I'm lead to understand, can motivate mostly-honest thieves to look elsewhere.

But I see the problem I see with all the digital locks: power-failure failure. Unless that's hardwired into the AC, I don't want to trust my ability to replace its battery. I've been woken up my dying smoke alarms too many times. I don't want to be securely barred from my home in like manner.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Don't have a link, but be on the lookout for Encyclopedia Madonnica 20th Anniversary Edition. Limited print run of 500 copies. Lots of pictures, stretch goal will make many of them color and the book longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks