What's new

Kenwood Remote works intermittently?? (1 Viewer)

MarkStash

Stunt Coordinator
Now that I've setup a "real" HT, I've moved my old Kenwood VR-507 to the family room for surround sound in there. When I turn it on (say in the morning), both the Kenwood remote and the DirecTV remotes work fine. At some point afterward, they stop working. Occasionally I can get them to work again by turning off the receiver and turning it back on..most times not. Any ideas what would be causing this? Thanks-

Mark

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Have you checked the obvious things:

1) New batteries?

2) Ensuring you are using the remote within the recommended range and angle of the receiver?

MarkStash

Stunt Coordinator
Check to both......tried the obvious. Thanks though, good thoughts. Where in NOVA? I'm a Vienna, Arlington, Burke, Alexandria transplant. Thanks again.

Mark

Steve*W

Agent
I had the same prob with my kenwood remote. Still haven't figured out what happened. The closest thing to a solution that I can come up with is something I read awhile ago that direct sunlight can wreck in infrared sensor. I had my reciever in my bedroom of the house that I just moved into at the time, and within two weeks of late afternoon sun shining directly on the reciever, the remote started only working some of the time. Again I'm not sure if this was actually what happened.

David King

Stunt Coordinator
Holy crap, I had the same thing happen with the same exact receiver/remote. Mine was not the remote, it was the receiver.

If I would flick the receivers front panel with my finger where it receives the signal, it would normally work again for a while. I was thinking mine had dust or something built up on the inside stopping the receiver from getting the signal.

I have since sold it to a friend, if you find out how to fix please post. (and it was cheap because of this problem :frowning: )

MarkStash

Stunt Coordinator
In a way it kind of helps to know it's not just me. The only thing that I've found that sometimes works is turning it off and back on. I'll try the "flick" technique and see if that works...thanks.

Mark

Peka J

Agent
The same exact thing started happening to my father's receiver in the last couple weeks. Guess what receiver he has - VR-507. It is definately the receiver's ability to receive the remote's IR signal as neither the universal remote he normally uses, nor the Kenwood remote with fresh batteries works when the receiver does this. When you first turn the receiver on, it works fine, then after being on for a few hours, it will just cut out and the remote doesn't work. Turning off and back on doesn't help, except when it is left off for a while - overnight and it will work again. I'm not sure how long it has to be off to "reset." I was thinking maybe the Ir receiver stops working when it gets hot, thus it stops working after several hours use. Then when it cools by being off, it works again. What do you think?

Of course, this started happening right after the warranty ran out (literally a week after the 2 year warranty ran out). I sent an email to Kenwood to see if they have a solution since it seems to be a common problem with this receiver. I think I will call them tomorrow too to see if they are helpful. I will pass on the info I get. Has anyone tried anything to fix this or contact Kenwood?

Shawn_K

Auditioning
There is obviously a problem with these units as I have the same problem. I get it back by pressing the source direct button. I press it Once and turn the volume up or down. Keep doing until volume kicks in and it will work for awhile. Sometimes holding it while pressing volume helps. This does not solve the problem but it will get you back running.

MarkStash

Stunt Coordinator
I wrote to Kenwood on Saturday and have yet to hear boo. I tried a solution offered by David King (flicking the unit) and don't you know that works like a charm. I indicated to Kenwood that we were discussing this issue and that others have mentioned it on the internet (if you search you will see that this receiver and other Kenwood's appear to have issues). Let's see if they respond before we talk class action, eh? )

Peka J

Agent
Convienently, I happen to be an attorney. I think a Kenwood Sovereign receiver for each of us would be a fair settlement, don't you?

Rocky F

Second Unit
My receiver came as part of an HTiB about two years ago, and I think the number is 517. As best I can tell, it has elements of the 506 and 507. (I am at work right now and can't look at the reciever or instruction manual right now, so I may be off on the numbers.) Anyway, I also have that problem, and just thought it was me. I agree that a new Soveriegn would be a perfect solution.:)

Rik P

Stunt Coordinator
FIXED MINE!!!

I have VR-509 that does (did) the same thing. Mine got to the point where no longer flicking it would work. So I cracked the baby open to take a peek at the IR sensor.
Well what do you know all three legs on the IR sensor had cold solder joints (meaning they did not use enough solder or they worked loose due to vibration? maybe both). I could not see any where that the face could have been pushing on the sensor too cause it to break all three solder joints loose.?? But any way thats what it was. relsoldered the IR sensor and good to go. in fact going on three weeks now with no problems.

First remove the lid, then the face has two or three screws on the bottom and top also has plastic snap. No need to remove the PC board from the face plate it sits (solder side up). There is one ribbon cable that needs to come loose though. It is very obvious onece you look at the board where the IR sensor is.

If any wants to give it try, let me know if that was your same problem aswell.

Rick

MarkStash

Stunt Coordinator
Rick/All:

Nice job....I will most probably try that. Here's the response I received from Kenwood today:

"Thank you for writing to us at Kenwood USA Corporation.

In regards to your recent inquiry, based on the symptoms you've stated, it seems that the remote control or the IR sensor on your receiver is malfunctioning. One thing you can do to try to resolve this issue is to reset the receiver by unplugging it, holding down the power button and while holding down the power button, plugging the receiver's power cord back in. If after performing the reset procedure the problem still persists, we strongly advise you to have both the remote control and the receiver evaluated by an Authorized Kenwood Service Center to determine which one of the two is malfunctioning. You may call 1-800-KENWOOD to find the nearest Authorized Service Center in your area, or you may ship your unit to one of our Kenwood Service Center locations listed below. Please enclose a brief description of the problem with a request for an estimate, a contact phone number and return shipping address. We also suggest shipping your product via UPS with insurance."

I've tried the reset procedure and so far so good. I only tried several hours ago and don't have much confidence that this is the "fix". Let me/us know if you try either solution (Kenwood's or Rick's) and the results. Thanks-

Mark

Steve*W

Agent
I tried resesting mine when it first started happening last summer, and it only lasted for about two days, then a day, then about ten mins, then not at all. May try and take it apart this weekend and see about the connections.

Peka J

Agent
Seems strange. Rick's information and solution seemed great - sort of a loose connection at the solder points so no current can flow. Flicking the screen (which worked for my dad, by the way) is consistent getting just enough movement to reestablish the connection. But I don't get why resetting the receiver would work if the problem is the physical connection at the solder points. Intriguing. I'll try the solder fix the next time I go to my parent's house.

MarkStash

Stunt Coordinator
Very strange here.....unit has worked continuously and flawlessly since I did a reset....let's see if that jinxes it.

SeanMartin

Agent
I had bad solder joints on the IR receiver in my Kenwood 309 receiver too. A friend of mine took it apart and re-soldered the connections and it hasn't given me a spot of trouble.

Look for a tiny crack in the solder around the pins running through the circuit board. They are hard to spot unless you have good eyes and good lighting.

Sean

Peka J

Agent
I finally had a chance to go to my parent's house last weekend and resolder the IR sensor. It's been a little over a week and seems to be working perfectly. Thank you to Rik P and everyone else who helped out.

BTW, after receiving a stock email right after sending an inquiry about this promising someone would get back to me soon, I never heard from Kenwood again. Poor showing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks