Remote Problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jean-Luc, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Auditioning

I currently own a 3-year old 5.1 Kenwood VR-509. This unit works well, but I am having intermittent problems with response to the remote control commands, especially the basic ones that turn on and off the receiver and control its volume. This means that the receiver will sometimes normally respond to commands, then 5 minutes later it will no longer respond only to start responding again a little later on, without any pattern or predictability. By substituting remote control units, I have established that the problem lies with the receiver, not with the remote control unit. I was wondering if anybody out there ever experienced this type of problem and if there might be a relatively simple (read inexpensive) solution to it. Thanks for your help.

2. John S

John S Producer

Sure sounds like batteries in the remote. But it sounds like you have eliminated that possibility.

3. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

Jean-Luc,

I believe I had the same receiver. It came with a Kenwood HTiB.

I also just had the same problem. The remote would work as soon as I turned it on, but then stop. After posting here, I was told it was an overheating problem. I was unable to find a solution. I was thinking of upgrading anyway, so I bought a Pioneer 1014 because being unable to change the volume was driving me nuts.

Todd

4. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Auditioning

Hi Todd:

Thanks. I think you are probably right and I have just about reached the same conclusion as you, i.e., time to upgrade.

Jean-Luc